[sig] znak/tamga

  • Cadogan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2009
      Hey gang,

      This is my fist time posting to the list, as I have been a quiet
      lurker until now.

      Does anyone have any further information regarding the Rus or Polish
      symbols called znak or tamgas? I cannot find much on them, and was
      looking for more information regarding possible sybolic meaning
      attached to them. I know they may have been used as brands for
      livestock based on tribe or region...but not much beyond that. Thanks
      so much in advance.

      In Service,

      Syr Cadogan Blaydes

      --
      "Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal."
      2Pac
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27, 2009
        Greetings Syr Cadogan,

        I have been on and off looking for the same and I have only been able to find Paul's short page on them. Here is a link to his page http://www.goldschp.net/archive/rusheraldry.html , hope this helps!

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
        �To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.�

        To: sig@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2009
          I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamgha%c2%a0but you probably did too. I will look further as I find the time.

          raven

          After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

          This is my fist time posting to the list, as I have been a quiet
          lurker until now.

          Does anyone have any further information regarding the Rus or Polish
          symbols called znak or tamgas? I cannot find much on them, and was
          looking for more information regarding possible sybolic meaning
          attached to them. I know they may have been used as brands for
          livestock based on tribe or region...but not much beyond that. Thanks
          so much in advance.

          In Service,

          Syr Cadogan Blaydes

          --
          "Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal."
          2Pac

        • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2009
            They are very old - some were sun signs and later co-opted by Christianity
            (such as my charge, the cross osmorog); some were used by ancient slavic
            pagans as religious symbols, and some were cattle brands. Check out the book
            "Land of the Ancient Slavs". I'll have to go home and dig in my library for
            more documentation.

            --
            Zygmunt Nadratowski
            "To rip the ugly, false, and weak from my soul and hurl it into hell. To