Bibliographies

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2009
      Hi Folks,

      I had a request at Pennsic for "any book recommendations" for Slavic and Polish cultures. And it occured to me immediately that a) I could ask here for book recommendations, and b) that maybe we should collect a file of book references we've found useful.

      I know we have the Primary Sources in English table, which is very nice, but we don't seem to have many additional references stored anywhere.

      Therefore, here is my Idea: Create a Files Folder in our Yahoogroup Files section, or a new Table (I don't know how to set those up - can they be sort-able by culture?) and let us each load up our Bibliographies. I checked out LibraryThing and didn't see a way to export there -- has anyone else tried it?

      And in the meantime, if anyone would like to shoot me a couple of book recommendations, preferably ones in English, that are good starter sources, I'd appreciate it, as would the gentle who asked me for the help (several folks in his local group are interested in Slavic & Polish cultures).

      Thanks,
      Sfandra

      ******************
      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue, Kingdom of the East
      ******************
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
      ******************
      "Cultured pearls, eh? Do they turn their rounded noses up at other pearls, lift their pinkie when they drink seawater, and gossip horribly about pearls from less fortunate clams?" -- Martin der Wasserspeier
    • goldschp tds.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 24, 2009
        While it has not been updated in quite a while (mostly because people
        stopped sending in suggestions), there already is a bibliography on the SIG
        website.

        If people wanted me to do so, I could merge their bibliographies with the
        one we have there. That was the original vision of having a published
        bibliography on the SIG website.

        Again, for those not familiar with the Group's website, it is at
        http://slavic.freeservers.com

        Thanks,
        Paul Wickenden

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 24, 2009
          Well, I'll take an evening this week to x-ref what I have against what's on those pages, and send you any useful books I might have that aren't listed...

          And of course, add anything listed that I don't own to my Amazon Wish List, ha ha ha!

          --Sfandra
          --newly-minted Big Fan of Used Books.....At current count, I've acquired a dozen new-to-me books this summer....

          > stopped sending in suggestions), there already is a
          > bibliography on the SIG
          > website.
          >
          > If people wanted me to do so, I could merge their
          > bibliographies with the
          > one we have there.  That was the original vision of
          > having a published
          > bibliography on the SIG website.
          >
          > Again, for those not familiar with the Group's website, it
          > is at
          > http://slavic.freeservers.com
          >

          > Thanks,
          > Paul Wickenden
          >
          > On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > Hi Folks,
          > >
          > > I had a request at Pennsic for "any book
          > recommendations" for Slavic and
          > > Polish cultures. And it occured to me immediately that
          > a) I could ask here
          > > for book recommendations, and b) that maybe we should
          > collect a file of book
          > > references we've found useful.
          > >
          > > I know we have the Primary Sources in English table,
          > which is very nice,
          > > but we don't seem to have many additional references
          > stored anywhere.
          > >
          > > Therefore, here is my Idea: Create a Files Folder in
          > our Yahoogroup Files
          > > section, or a new Table (I don't know how to set those
          > up - can they be
          > > sort-able by culture?) and let us each load up our
          > Bibliographies. I checked
          > > out LibraryThing and didn't see a way to export there
          > -- has anyone else
          > > tried it?
          > >
          > > And in the meantime, if anyone would like to shoot me
          > a couple of book
          > > recommendations, preferably ones in English, that are
          > good starter sources,
          > > I'd appreciate it, as would the gentle who asked me
          > for the help (several
          > > folks in his local group are interested in Slavic
          > & Polish cultures).
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Sfandra
          > >
          > > ******************
          > > Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
          > > KOE, Maunche, Apprentice to Maitresse Irene LeNoir
          > > Haus Von Drakenklaue, Kingdom of the East
          > > ******************
          > > Never 'pearl' your butt.
          > > ******************
          > > "Cultured pearls, eh? Do they turn their rounded noses
          > up at other pearls,
          > > lift their pinkie when they drink seawater, and gossip
          > horribly about pearls
          > > from less fortunate clams?" -- Martin der
          > Wasserspeier

          >     mailto:sig-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • yanajenn
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 25, 2009
            You can export your records from LibraryThing by going to the Tools tab (far right of screen). You have the choice to "Export as CSV" or "Export as tab-delimited text." I'm hoping they have "export as XML" capabilities sometime in the future, but CSV and tab-delim is it for now. Hope this helps!

            Yana Groznaia
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 15, 2009
              Bored witless at work ( as I frequently am -- when you're tech support, you only get calls when something's broken! ), I decided to hit Google and search the News for "Society For Creative Anachronism."

              And what do I find? A photo spread from the LA Times on Tuesday, about Great Western War, featuring our very own Mistress Liudmila!

              http://www.latimes.com/theguide/events-and-festivals/la-society-creative-anachronisms-events-pictures,0,3261780.photogallery

              (she's #3).

              Nice Photo, Luidmila! :D

              --Sfandra Dmitrieva

              ******************
            • LiudmilaV@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 15, 2009
                Thank you, it is a nice photo -- the reporter certainly tried, and insisted on glasses off and everything. I am just slightly embarrassed by "that's when the pearl hats came in" line that comes with it. I did say something like that among other things, though.
                Liudmila

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 15, 2009
                  Awesome garb! I put the link on FB so others can see.

                  thanks,
                  raven

                  After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 15, 2009
                    I like the square neck sarafan! I'll have to start teaching that in my Russian costuming class! Thanks!

                    Best Regards,
                    'dok

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 15, 2009
                      Unfortunately, I can't remember anymore where I found justification
                      for that. I'll have to look again. This sarafan is old, it is my
                      second ever sarafan from 10 years ago. Better, or at least bigger,
                      pictures of both the hat and the dress can be found at www.sca-Russian.com
                      Liudmila

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 16, 2009
                        Ah yes, there's no one quite like the Media for taking things out of context.

                        Cheers,
                        Sfandra