Re: 14th Century Mens Clothing

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 13, 2009
      Sadly, I can only think of clothes from neighbouring Bohemia, but I'll add some links, just so if worst comes to worst you can compare the 14th century dress with other 14th century sources you find.

      http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/1_Originaly/01_Goticke/I_01_21.htm
      http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/6_Dobove/07_Svrchniky/VI_07_08.htm

      http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/1_Originaly/01_Goticke/I_01_26.htm

      There is a manuscript, called the "Hungarian Anjou Legendary" that might be helpful for images of clothing. It was made in Italy for a Hungarian patron in the 14th century.
      see page 2: http://www.themorgan.org/about/press/PagesOfGoldChecklist.pdf
      and http://www.oszk.hu/eng/kiallit/virtualis/3kodex/3kodex_tartalom_en.htm

      Hope some of that is vaguely useful.
      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Bruning" <erich.bruning@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I am working on improving my soft kit, and was wondering if there are any books or sources for mens clothing in the early 14th Century. The area I am portraying (SCA) is the Nitra Region (modern day Slovakia), which would have been part of North Western Hungary at that time. I'm also not the most skilled with needle and thread, but can do passable basic items. May be able to get help for some things.
      >
      > I've searched a bit on-line, but most of what I see is for later time periods. Is there much difference between the regions in the earlier 14th century?
      >
      > Thanks for any help,
      >
      > Rudolph
      > Stonemarche, East (New Hampshire, USA)

    • Erich Bruning
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 13, 2009
        .Thanks for the links, these should give me a good start. The hun/
        magyar.com site turned out to be a dating site, but hunmagyar.org looks to
        be the url for the history site.

        Rudolph

      • lori h-b/ raven
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 13, 2009
          On the Hunmagyar.org site the coat of arms has the Lithuanian cross on it. Can someone explain why, historically speaking of course. Is it because the Grand Duchy at one time held that region?

          raven

          After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

        • John Staeck
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 13, 2009
            Hi.  The two-branched cross, called the Apostlitic Cross, is common in the region, also appearing in Slovakian heraldry and in other Slavic states and societies.  At least one story goes that it was brought to the region by Cyrill and Methodius in their mission to the magnates of Moravia in the 800's AD.  The Moravian crosses, though, are not Apostlitic (at least the famous one from Mikulcice).  In Hungary, St. Stephen converted to Christianity and apparently adopted this style cross as an image of his rule.  It appears in Hungarian designs periodically, including on the royal seal of Bela (the fourth??, sorry, a little rusty on my Hungarian dynasties).  The cross was still in use a couple of years ago by Bulgarian clergy at a ceremony honoring Cyrill and his teachings at Mikulcice in southern Moravia.

            FWIW  best

            Voros Janos

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 13, 2009
              BTW raven, did you see what Asfridr posted on her LJ yesterday I think it was?

              http://www.hnm.hu/en/kiall/MonthlyArchive.php?id=30993

              --Sfandra

              > arms has the Lithuanian cross on it. Can someone explain
              > why, historically speaking of course. Is it because the
              > Grand Duchy at one time held that region?
              >
              > raven
              >

              > After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same
              > box.

            • Elaine Manyoki
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 13, 2009
                Thanks...my eyesight isn't what it used to be, and I apologize for the mistake...
                Katya

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 13, 2009
                  I don't do the LJ thing but thanks so much for the link! The dresses are awesome, although I surely don't like the pregnant look.

                  raven

                  After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

                  BTW raven, did you see what Asfridr posted on her LJ yesterday I think it was?

                  http://www.hnm hu/en/kiall/ MonthlyArchive. php?id=30993

                  --Sfandra

                  > arms has the Lithuanian cross on it. Can someone explain
                  > why, historically speaking of course. Is it because the
                  > Grand Duchy at one time held that region?
                  >
                  > raven
                  >

                  > After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same
                  > box.

                • panimagdalena56
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 14, 2009
                    Hi Raven. I have been following your posts about 15th century Lithuanian women's clothing. If anyone has the pictures from the class at Pennsic I would very much like to see them. Maybe someone could set them up in a folder for us?

                    Lithuania in the 15th century would be part of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth. While I'm not as knowledgeable about Lithuania, my guess would be it wasn't much different from Poland in that, the royalty married into sometimes Western European sometimes Byzantine Royal families. And those consorts brought their styles with them.

                    The article on the Mary of Hapsburg dress does explain this. So keep in mind, if a dress is from royalty and even some of the nobles, it probably has a very strong western influence.

                    The women of the magistrate class (town burgher and mayor's wives and daughters) were the wannabe's of that era. They wanted to be like the Western Europeans and emulated their style of dressing.

                    Finding a style of clothing that is uniquely Lithuanian (or Polish) is a little harder. Even Barbara Radziwill, the wife of King Sigismund in the 16th century,the daughter of a powerful Lithuanian family, is shown in very Western dress. What makes Central/Eastern European dress unique is the details.

                    I can send you some scans of headdresses of Barbara that are pearl encrusted and enclose all but her face. They must weigh a ton and be hot to wear.

                    Typically in our area of interest, lower nobles and "county folk" held on to the traditional dress of their area either out of need or patriotism.

                    So, to make a long story long, it depends on what you are looking for as far as garb. If I can help you, give me a shout. We don't live that far from each other and I'll be seeing you in Oct.

                    In Service,
                    Magdalena
                  • lori h-b/ raven
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 14, 2009
                      I'm trying to purchase Ruta Guzeviciute's book that Pat had at Pennsic. Once I get it I'll figure out how to construct it. I have the event in Oct. well organized so I can put a little time into looking for the Lithuanian garb I want to make. Bring whatever you can to the event and we'll talk there.

                      BTW for anyone near south central PA who wants to attend the event Oct. 10th East Kingdom, it's an Italian Schola with a lot going on. We're still looking for teachers & merchants!!!

                      see ya soon,

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 17, 2009
                        Hi, Raven and Magdalena --

                        I have been meaning to respond, but I had to find my scanned images first. I just put two scanned images from that book into a new folder called "Lithuania" into the Photos section of the SIG group. However, the images are awaiting the moderator's approval.

                        One image is of Elzbieta Habsburgaite and the other is of Barbora Radvilaite. ("Nezinomas dailininkas" appearently means "unknown artist" in Lithuanian.")

                        The same portrait of Elzbieta?as the book appears on this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisabeth_of_Austria_(1526%E2%80%931545).

                        A different portrait of Barbara Radziwill is on her Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Radziwill. None of the illustrations on that page are from the SCA period, however!!

                        Finally, check out this group of portraits of the Jagellonian family: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jagiellon_Family.jpg. The painting in the upper right-hand corner (Barbara R.) is also in Guzeviciute's book.

                        I'll keep the October 10th East Kingdom event in mind -- it's not that far from me -- BUT I might have to use that day for travel to California for my employer's annual meeting.

                        Take care,

                        Patricia of Trakai

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 17, 2009
                          I'm trying to get the book. They only take bank transfer so my bank is working on wiring the money. I really enjoyed the book and want my own copy. In doing research I'm finding a lot of references that while not specifically Lithuanian are intertwined with other noble families in Europe. That said the clothing styles have a wide range, which would explain why one of the gowns looked like a cross between Landsknect and Venetian.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 18, 2009
                            I added some photos from my collection to my Pani Magdalena photo file that are also waiting for approval.

                            The photograph is a 19th century Polish actress portraying Barbara Radziwill. The other scans are from the Polish clothing book, Polski Ubior. The more western looking dress is Elizabeth Hapsburg. Both women were wives of Zygmunt Augusta, king of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the late 1500's. Elizabeth was his first wife but he is said to have been madly in love with Barbara. There are also rumors that his mother, Queen Bona (Sforza) may have had Barbara killed/poisoned from which Zygmunt never recovered.

                            Magdalena
                          • panimagdalena56
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 19, 2009
                              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "panimagdalena56" <nunother56@...> wrote:

                              The photos are now in my Panimagdalena folder. IMHO, the dress worn by Barbara Radziwill would be characteristic of our area area than the one worn by Elizabeth of Hapsburg which is very western in style. I have not seen this type of neckline, chemise or headdress in other countries. I've tried looking atBohemia, Hungary and Germany, Poland's closest neighbors other than Russia. I leave Russia to our Russian experts but I will say that women's clothing in Russia resembles Byzantine clothing more than western style clothing. Meaning, loose fitting outer robes especially. You really don't see close fitting dresses on the women (of Russia).

                              If someone who knows more than I about the women's clothing in the countries surrounding Poland/Lithuania, I'd love to hear about it! Pictures are always helpful.

                              In Service,
                              Magdalena
                            • quokkaqueen
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 20, 2009
                                At the "Lietuvos Pilys" castle website:
                                http://www.lietuvospilys.lt/index-en.htm
                                go Radiniai> Keramika> Kokliai >Loviniai and there are a few painted and unpainted 16th century tiles.
                                The 'Karūnėlės' section has some male shield-bearers, too.

                                Abraham de Bruyn (1540 - 1587) also drew Lithuanians in his costume book
                                "Omnium pene Europae, Asiae, Aphricae atque Americae Gentium Habitus"
                                http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/mwebcgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=93772;type=1.jpg
                                or http://pearl.dreamwidth.org/203988.html
                                (They are, like most costume books, redrawings see: http://pearl.livejournal.com/132435.html for more examples)

                                Oh, and for comparison, the 'Renaissance in Estonia' website:
                                http://www.einst.ee/Ea/2/TEXT/kuuske.htm

                                For peasant and lower-class dress in Lithuania based on archaeological finds, see:
                                Saule Urbanviciene "Survivals of Paganism in 14th-17th century Graves in Lithuania" in Michael Müller-Wille [ed] Rom und Byzanz im Norden: Mission und Glaubenswechsel im Ostseeraum während des 8.-14. Jährhunderts (Franz Steiner Verlag, 1997)

                                Hope that helps,
                                Asfridhr

                                > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "panimagdalena56" <nunother56@> wrote:
                                <<snip>>
                                > If someone who knows more than I about the women's clothing in the countries surrounding Poland/Lithuania, I'd love to hear about it! Pictures are always helpful.
                                >
                                > In Service,
                                > Magdalena

                              • panimagdalena56
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 20, 2009
                                  Wow! Thank you for sharing. I've never come across these pictures. A whole new area for reasearch.

                                  In Service
                                  Magdalena
                                • hillofbees
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 23, 2009

                                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

                                    > Oh, and for comparison, the 'Renaissance in Estonia' website:
                                    > http://www.einst.ee/Ea/2/TEXT/kuuske.htm

                                    Further to the Estonian material, I recommend a Latvian source, Irita Žeire's recent book Arheoloģiskās Liecības Par Apģērbu Latvijā 13.-18. Gadsimtā [Archeological Investigations on Clothing in Latvia in the 13th-18th centuries]. It has a pretty good summary in English. Most of the material is archaeological and in scraps. Not an easy one to get hold of, published by the Latvian National History Museum, but i can copy and send bits offlist if there is anything in particular you'd be interested in.

                                    best, Ynes
                                  • hillofbees
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 23, 2009
                                      > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "panimagdalena56" <nunother56@> wrote:
                                      > <<snip>>
                                      > > If someone who knows more than I about the women's clothing in the countries surrounding Poland/Lithuania, I'd love to hear about it! Pictures are always helpful.
                                      > >
                                      > > In Service,
                                      > > Magdalena

                                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

                                      > Oh, and for comparison, the 'Renaissance in Estonia' website:
                                      > http://www.einst.ee/Ea/2/TEXT/kuuske.htm

                                      Further to the Estonian material, I recommend a Latvian source, Irita Žeire's recent book Arheoloģiskās Liecības Par Apģērbu Latvijā 13.-18. Gadsimtā [Archeological Investigations on Clothing in Latvia in the 13th-18th centuries]. It has a pretty good summary in English. Most of the material is archaeological and in scraps. Not an easy one to get hold of, published by the Latvian National History Museum, but i can copy and send bits offlist if there is anything in particular you'd be interested in.

                                      best, Ynes
                                    • kirstenobna
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                                        I would dearly love to see the earliest pictures in there... 14th century and earlier (12th if it has anything!). Many many thanks!!!

                                        Rekon, who has been inferring what she can't document & wouldlove some sources

                                        > Further to the Estonian material, I recommend a Latvian source, Irita Žeire's recent book Arheoloģiskās Liecības Par Apģērbu Latvijā 13.-18. Gadsimtā [Archeological Investigations on Clothing in Latvia in the 13th-18th centuries]. It has a pretty good summary in English. Most of the material is archaeological and in scraps. Not an easy one to get hold of, published by the Latvian National History Museum, but i can copy and send bits offlist if there is anything in particular you'd be interested in.
                                        >
                                        > best, Ynes

                                      • hillofbees
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 26, 2009
                                          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "kirstenobna" <kirstenmae@...> wrote:

                                          > I would dearly love to see the earliest pictures in there... 14th
                                          century and earlier (12th if it has anything!). Many many thanks!!!

                                          > Rekon, who has been inferring what she can't document & wouldlove some
                                          sources

                                          > > Further to the Estonian material, I recommend a Latvian source,
                                          Irita Žeire's recent book Arheoloģiskās Liecības Par
                                          Apģērbu Latvijā 13.-18. Gadsimtā [Archeological
                                          Investigations on Clothing in Latvia in the 13th-18th centuries]. It has
                                          a pretty good summary in English. Most of the material is archaeological
                                          and in scraps. Not an easy one to get hold of, published by the Latvian
                                          National History Museum, but i can copy and send bits offlist if there
                                          is anything in particular you'd be interested in.

                                          > > best, Ynes

                                        • hillofbees
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 26, 2009
                                            Ack! Sorry! I do not know what is happening with my Yahoo! What I thought I had posted was this -

                                            Hey all, it's great to see the interest in Latvian dress!

                                            I wrote a longer response to Patricia offlist so I'll use some of it again here. Please skip over any bits you know. There's a lot of knowledge on this list and I don't want to preach to the choir.

                                            Historic clothing in Latvia is divided into two periods – archaeological and ethnographic, or traditional. The former is usually dated up to around the end of the 14th century, though with the increasing German presence and eventual occupation of the Baltic areas the indigenous archaeological finds, which determine what is known about dress, decline in quality and quantity. Then, in the later period, it's based on the more numerous pictorial and surviving clothing and starts roughly mid-18th century. The period in the middle is pretty unknown, c. late 14th-17th centuries. Latvian historians determine their middle ages as being 1200-1561. There are very few people researching dress even in Latvia. Irita Zeire is one; another, working on later periods, is Anete Karlsone.

                                            Pretty much the bulk of the recent, high quality knowledge about archaeological textiles comes from the work on Anna Zarina (accented `n' for `ny' sound – I don't trust the character to come out right!) Her books, primarily Libiesu Apgerbs [Liv Clothing 10th-13th centuries] and Abgerbu Latvia [Clothing in Latvia, 7th-17th centuries], are the start for anyone researching these periods. I've found them in big national libraries, but they are nearly impossible to get hold of second hand even in Latvia. Also, and this is the big barrier to researching Baltic dress in the period, they are in Latvian and for the Soviet-era publications, have some Russian translations, but no English. The next most accessible source is the fabulous three volume series on the whole of Latvian traditional dress, with some archaeological material and summary translations in English. Again, usually available only in Latvia though far more readily. The journal Arheologija has some interesting short articles often with English abstracts.

                                            All this is sort of leading up to a shameless plug for an article I have coming out next year, if you can hold on til April. It's been written with Ieva Pigozne, who runs the www.arheo.lv site (go if you haven't and are interested in this time and place) and will be published in Medieval Clothing and Textile. It covers Latvian clothing and textiles form the 7th – 13th centuries, with a few pictures, drawn or photographed for the article so new material if you're already familiar with the material. It's (really shameless plug!) as far as we know the first dedicated refereed academic article on the subject written in English, rather than translation. We've concentrated quite a lot on including a broad bibliography/historiography in the references with pointers in the texts so people will have a start of what to look for. I was going to wait til it was published to announce on the list but it since people seem interested... ☺

                                            For anyone who is looking to reproduce clothing in our period, my short two cents would be to look at whether you're doing native Liv or Baltic, or occupying country's dress. If occupiers, go with the fashions from the source, probably German depending when it is. The style of native archaeological dress is so stable that it still appears, changed only in decoration, in a lot of the 19th century ethnographic dress. So until more evidence comes out of the earth about the specifics of the evolution of changes around 15th-17th centuries, go with the earlier periods. The main changes are in type and quantity of decoration which Zeire and Zarina do provide some details of. Then watch this space and hope archaeology gets more funding if Latvia's economy ever recovers!

                                            Cheers, Ynes (de Toledo)
                                          • Catherine Olanich Raymond
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 26, 2009
                                              On Wednesday 26 August 2009 6:30:10 pm hillofbees wrote:

                                              [snip]

                                              > All this is sort of leading up to a shameless plug for an article I have
                                              > coming out next year, if you can hold on til April. It's been written with
                                              > Ieva Pigozne, who runs the www.arheo.lv site (go if you haven't and are
                                              > interested in this time and place) and will be published in Medieval
                                              > Clothing and Textile. It covers Latvian clothing and textiles form the 7th
                                              > – 13th centuries, with a few pictures, drawn or photographed for the
                                              > article so new material if you're already familiar with the material. It's
                                              > (really shameless plug!) as far as we know the first dedicated refereed
                                              > academic article on the subject written in English, rather than
                                              > translation. We've concentrated quite a lot on including a broad
                                              > bibliography/historiography in the references with pointers in the texts so
                                              > people will have a start of what to look for. I was going to wait til it
                                              > was published to announce on the list but it since people seem
                                              > interested...

                                              That sounds great! Thanks for mentioning it; I'll be waiting....

                                              --
                                              Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

                                              "A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
                                              --Walter Bagehot