Re: Make and take ideas.

  • Hastings Sanderson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 8, 2009
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "tatiana_moskovskaia" <doggzie@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone has ideas for make and take activities Slavic style?
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Tatiana

      How about carving some wooden spoons? Starting from scratch isn't really that hard, but it can daunt some people, but if you start with basic wooden spoons (the kind everyone has in their modern kitchen and you can buy multiple ones for $1) and then hollow out/sand the bowl a bit more and make it rounder, cut down the handle, etc.

      You could do an embroidered napkin or handkerchief. If you do just a single motif on the edge, its a quick thing to do.

      You could make leather masks like the ones found at Novgorod. They actually look great when hung on a wall or give people an excuse to wear them and do some singing and clowning.

      For that matter, how about having them write their own birch bark letters? Some scrapbooking stores carry it, you can harvest your own, or there are places like this one http://www.naturallist.com/birch.htm or here http://www.naturalforestproducts.com/

      Pyansky?

      Wax tablets are actually pretty easy to make and aren't too expensive if you buy the cheap plaques at the craft store, or cut your own from pine. You might have to pre-hollow out the wood plates, since that's the part that takes the longest, but you could easily paint or otherwise decorate the outside and pour the wax at a class. I've done them as a class and with a group of 8 we had them done in about 2 hours (granted, we used Dremel tools to do the carving, but we did the lacing holes with a hand drill)

      Molded gingerbread is fun if you have the facilities

      How about braided or twisted wire bracelets? Here's a tutorial http://bajabum.tripod.com/jewelrytutorials/id3.html When I've made mine I've either pounded the ends or soldered the ends, but this tutorial just twists the ends or covers them in copper tubing. They hold up rubakha sleeves really nicely and look like the archeological finds, but just they also can be worn with modern clothing or the concept can be adapted for torcs etc.

      I'll keep thinking.
    • bphall76@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 8, 2009
        Hello,

        There is a lady in my kingdom who wishes a Romanian name.? What resources are out there to choose from?? The people on my kingdom heraldry list (wonderful though they are) do not know Romanian names.?

        Thanks
        Vasilisa Myshkina
        Glymm Mere, An Tir

        -

      • spmaiorca@cox.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2009
          hi,
          I couple I have in mind Ruxandra- Andrea
          I would defitnly look at anything by Radu Florescu.
          -Patrick aka Nicodim Vladescu
          ---- bphall76@... wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > There is a lady in my kingdom who wishes a Romanian name.? What resources are out there to choose from?? The people on my kingdom heraldry list (wonderful though they are) do not know Romanian names.?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Vasilisa Myshkina
          > Glymm Mere, An Tir
          >

          > -

        • T Duran
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 8, 2009
            On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 5:18 AM, <bphall76@...> wrote:

            > There is a lady in my kingdom who wishes a Romanian name.? What resources
            > are out there to choose from?? The people on my kingdom heraldry list
            > (wonderful though they are) do not know Romanian names.?

            There are a couple of lists here:

            http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/othereu.shtml#romanian

            Kazimira
          • tatiana_moskovskaia
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2009
              Great ideas!

              Thank you, I'll think it over and see what we can do.

              Tatiana
            • lhb17201
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 11, 2009
                Have you tried weaving sticks? I bought the wooden ones last year at Pennsic, but you can make them for an activity using drinking straws and paperclips. I teach adults with mental illness and a number of them made belts, necklaces and bracelets last year for our annual art show.

                raven

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "tatiana_moskovskaia" <doggzie@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone has ideas for make and take activities Slavic style?
                >
                > Thank you,
                >
                > Tatiana

              • Tatiana
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2009
                  Weaving sticks...interesting. I'll look it up. Never tried it myself.
                  Thank you,

                  Tatiana

                • lori h-b/ raven
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
                    I orginally got mine at Pennsic from Gary Palmer his website is http://www.palmerlooms.com he has some that are $7 including shipping. He is the one who told me to get drinking straws and put paperclips inside them, letting a bit hang out which is where you attatch the warp yarn. It is VERY portable. I saw a set this year at a different vender who had a holder for them that you can use up to 12 sticks. Good luck with it.
                    There's also a site http://www.thriftyfun.com/ that has a lot of take along crafts some of which are period, and a lot of other thrift and Green ideas.

                    raven

                    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.