Re: strange question

  • petzserg
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 24, 1999
      Try "East of the Sun" by a gent named Bobrick, a slow but interesting
      account of going east to meet west. However, "After the powerful Hundson's
      Bay Company had entered the coastal trade in the middle 1820's, the Russian
      American Company rapidly lost its dominence even within the vicinity of long
      established posts; in 1839 it was decided to make a virtue of necessity and
      lease the continental portion of the Alaskan panhandle to the English in
      return for regular deliveries of food. As part of this divestiture, in 1841,
      the company also sold Russian California for $30,000." p255