Names around 10th Century Novgorod

  • Jenna
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2009
      Heilsa!

      Please forgive my ignorance, if this information exists elsewhere, please point me towards it. The husband and I are looking for names for ourselves, from a late 9th and early 10th century, preferably around Novgorod and the surrounding Slav tribes. I don't think we will ever lose the names we are using now, we've been called them for too long, but we both feel we've finally decided on time/region and would like to finalize it with official, documentable, names. I have been perusing Paul Wickendan's very expansive dictionary of names, but wondering if there might be a better/simpler way than clicking through pages. I really don't know even where to begin.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance!
      Brenna Haldana & Thorrinn Eikanskaldisson (a bit too "Viking", eh? :p)
    • Paul W Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2009
        If you haven't tried it already, you might want to check out this page:

        http://www.goldschp.net/archive/archive.html

        In Service,
        Paul Wickenden of Thanet

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 17, 2009
          Yes, thank you, however I now have grammar questions! I have enough issues with English grammar, so Russian is a doozy. ;)

          I would like to achieve "Vladimir son of Dmitrii Bratovich", which version is correct/best?

          Vladimir Dmitr'ev Bratovich
          Vladimir syn Dmitrii Bratovich
          Vladimir Dmitrego Bratovich
          Vladimir Dmitr'evich
          Vladimir Dmitr'evich Bratovich
          Vladimir Dmitr'ev syn Bratovich

          Also, what would be the best form for "Ilariia the Baker, wife of Vladimir Dmitr'evich" (or whichever of the above are correct)?

          Ilariia Kolachnikova Vladimiria zhena Dmitr'eva
          Ilariia Vladimiria zhena Dmitr'eva Kolachnikova
          Ilariia Vladimiria zhena Dmitr'ev

          or something else?

          I greatly appreciate the help!

          Thanks,
          Brenna
        • Paul W Goldschmidt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18, 2009
            First of all, let's be clear that we are not doing 10th century or
            Novgorodian names.

            If you want a period 10th century Novgorod name, you two would just
            be Vladimir and Ilariia, but the SCA will want a byname.

            So, instead, let's talk about 16th century Moscovite names....

            At 11:28 PM 7/17/2009, you wrote:
            >Yes, thank you, however I now have grammar questions! I have enough
            >issues with English grammar, so Russian is a doozy. ;)
            >
            >I would like to achieve "Vladimir son of Dmitrii Bratovich", which
            >version is correct/best?
            >
            >Vladimir Dmitr'ev Bratovich
            >Vladimir syn Dmitrii Bratovich
            >Vladimir Dmitrego Bratovich
            >Vladimir Dmitr'evich
            >Vladimir Dmitr'evich Bratovich
            >Vladimir Dmitr'ev syn Bratovich

            Of the examples above, I like the last one (Vladimir Dmitr'ev syn
            Bratovich) best. #4 (Vladimir Dmitr'evich) is grammatically correct
            and appropriate for 14th century Novgorod or 10th century Kiev.

            >Also, what would be the best form for "Ilariia the Baker, wife of
            >Vladimir Dmitr'evich" (or whichever of the above are correct)?
            >
            >Ilariia Kolachnikova Vladimiria zhena Dmitr'eva
            >Ilariia Vladimiria zhena Dmitr'eva Kolachnikova
            >Ilariia Vladimiria zhena Dmitr'ev

            I'm assuming that Vladimir is the baker (in period, Ilariia would
            hardly want to advertise the idea of being a free agent, especially
            if she is already attaching herself to her husband), so I like option
            #2 the best. One could layer more on it, but I think it tells the
            story sufficiently well.

            Without the baker-bit, you could go with Ilariia Vladimira zhena
            Dmitr'eva or Ilariia Vladimira zhena Dmitr'eva syna Bratovicha.

            In Service,
            Paul Wickenden
          • Jenna
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 19, 2009
              Understandable, sounds like a plan :)

              Where to begin?

              Again, thank you very much for the help & advice.

            • spmaiorca@cox.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 20, 2009
                ---- Jenna <jenna.baranowski@...> wrote:
                > Yes, thank you, however I now have grammar questions! I have enough issues with English grammar, so Russian is a doozy. ;)
                >
                > I would like to achieve "Vladimir son of Dmitrii Bratovich", which version is correct/best?
                >

                > Vladimir Dmitr'evich

                Is a name and patricnomic