Re: [sig] squirrel name

  • Land, John L SPC MIL USA TRADOC
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
      As far as the likeliness of any squirrels in the region diiscussed, I have no idea. However concerning the likelihood of anyone wishing to take a name, or select a name derived from such a small seemingly insignifigant creature, I see it as a very likely occurance especially in a pre-Christian era, or in an area which may be described as a "hinterland".

      Desireable traits in squirrels (in general).

      Often quite swift.

      Like several animals in related species, their front paws are used as hands in addition to their usage as a means of locomotion.

      Squirrels are expert in storing things away for the winter months... an admirable trait to people who live in the frozen north and who experience harsh winters.

      Also there is the distinct possibility that the person(a) may have been born scrawny, extra hairy, with a vestigal tail, and/ or developed serious buck-teeth later on.

      Also, (my apologies to all the "cool" folks :P )not everyone digs wolves, warhorses, harts, dragons, etc...

      Some of us are a little "squirelly" by nature.

      There... that's my 2 cent's worth.

      -Baxt
    • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
        Take this as FUNNY!!!

        I've been reading this discussion and been amused that the only things that
        pops in my mind is the dogs from "Up" with "SQUIRREL!!"

        Sorry, back to normal net reading.

        Ianuk
        <giggle>
        On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Land, John L SPC MIL USA TRADOC <
        john.l.land@...> wrote:

        > As far as the likeliness of any squirrels in the region diiscussed, I have
        > no idea. However concerning the likelihood of anyone wishing to take a name,
        > or select a name derived from such a small seemingly insignifigant creature,
        > I see it as a very likely occurance especially in a pre-Christian era, or in
        > an area which may be described as a "hinterland".
        >
        > Desireable traits in squirrels (in general).
        >
        > Often quite swift.
        >
        > Like several animals in related species, their front paws are used as hands
        > in addition to their usage as a means of locomotion.
        >
        > Squirrels are expert in storing things away for the winter months... an
        > admirable trait to people who live in the frozen north and who experience
        > harsh winters.
        >
        > Also there is the distinct possibility that the person(a) may have been
        > born scrawny, extra hairy, with a vestigal tail, and/ or developed serious
        > buck-teeth later on.
        >
        > Also, (my apologies to all the "cool" folks :P )not everyone digs wolves,
        > warhorses, harts, dragons, etc...
        >
        > Some of us are a little "squirelly" by nature.
        >
        > There... that's my 2 cent's worth.
        >
        > -Baxt

      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
          LOL, I keep hearing Boris Badenoff saying "Moose and Squirrel"... but I suppose that dates me. ;-)

          Susanna

        • LiudmilaV@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
            All right, since I have the proper accent:
            Why, Boris, why is it always Moose and Squirrel, Moose and Squirrel?

            Liudmila