RE: Re: [sig] white tailed squirrel

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2009
      Greetings from Sofya,

      The only "official" white-tailed squirrels that I have been able to find are the White-Tailed Antelope Squirrels of the American
      Southwest that look more like chipmunks to me and certainly would not have been found in Russia. Apparently the Kaibab squirrels
      of the Grand Canyon area can have white tails, too?

      An internet search has revealed quite a few blog entries, YouTube videos and such on "white-tailed squirrels". The closest thing
      to expert information I can find about them is here:
      http://www.midweeknews.com/articles/2007/08/15/local/de%20kalb_county/dekalbcounty03.txt

      They seem to be mutant semi-albino Eastern Gray squirrels (Sciurius carolinensis) sighted in the Midwest, which might explain
      their appeal for a SCAdian - they're cute and a little weird. ;-)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Gray_Squirrel

      As Liudmila has already pointed out, the Russian squirrels are a different species than our gray squirrel. I could find no
      references to belokhvostiye belki with a Russian google search. The Russian wiki has a nice long list of squirrel species, but
      no "white-tailed squirrel" among them. The "ordinary squirrel" in the Russian Wiki is Sciurius vulgaris - the Eurasian Red
      Squirrel.
      http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%BA%D0%B0
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_squirrel

      A more serious problem with the proposed name is that none of the examples of "Zoological" names given in Wickenden's article on
      the subject are two-part names. There are names for "bear" but not for "black bear", "cricket" but not "noisy cricket", etc.
      Note that the names that are two-part in English, i.e. gold finch, are actually one-part names in Russian, i.e. Shcheglov.
      http://www.goldschp.net/archive/zoonames.html

      Grammar is another problem. Patronymics are a variation of genitive case but don't quite follow standard grammar rules. The
      standard genitive form of belokhvostaya belka would be belokhvostoj belki, but the patronymic is actually belkin not belki, so I
      have no idea what to do with belokhvostaya in this case. Especially since it has to be further modified to the feminine
      patronymic form, belkina.

      The only way I can see to salvage it is to treat the two names as separate bynames - one as a personal descriptive byname and the
      other as a true patronymic, e.g. Kseniia white-tail daughter of Squirrel - Kseniia Belokhvostaya (doch) Belkina or vice versa.

      The Russian word for a ponytail, meaning a hairstyle, is khvost, so belokhovost could be interpreted as blond ponytail.

      At your service,

      Sofya