An announcement and a question ?

  • Marilyn Kinyon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2009
      First I will be teaching a four day class (2 hr) class on Slavic /Kievan Illumination at Pennsic. This will be part of the Aethelmearc Scribal track and held in AE Royal. Check the Pennsic book for details. Registration is limited to ten.

      _______________________________________

      And now a question regarding Slavic U.
      A while ago I was seeing some talk that no one had come forward to host it. I'm not sure if that is still the case because I know I don't catch everything.

      But I will throw out there that my shire is willing to host the next one. I am trying to get an idea of what time of year people would like it? Late Spring? Summer? Or? We have access to a nice builing in Martinsburg, WV. This is about an hour and a half drive from either Dulles in Washington DC or BWI in Baltimore. Does this location sound doable to folks? If you are a teacher and think you could come please let me know. If the idea seems favorable we will go ahead and pick a time and get all the plans in place!

      Lady Marija Kotok
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2009
        > But I will throw out there that my shire is willing to host
        > the next one. I am trying to get an idea of what time of
        > year people would like it? Late Spring? Summer? Or? We have
        > access to a nice builing in Martinsburg, WV. This is about
        > an hour and a half drive from either Dulles in Washington DC
        > or BWI in Baltimore. Does this location sound doable to
        > folks? If you are a teacher and think you could come please
        > let me know. If the idea seems favorable we will go ahead
        > and pick a time and get all the plans in place!
        >
        > Lady Marija Kotok

        Hm. Boston or Providence to DC is a reasonable flight for me, and Enterprise LOVES me, gives me discounts all the time, so car rental is doable for me (esp if there are others who might want to arrive at the same time and share in costs)....

        HOWEVER, my major issue is always WHEN the event is. The past Slavic U landed during my work's busy season and my husband's birthday. So my deciding factor is going to be date. While winter is nice for breaking out the layers & furs, anything between Pennsic & New Years is tricky for me, because of work. Now, if you want to say "Late January", I can do that.

        ---Sfandra

        ******************
        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        Haus Von Drakenklaue, Kingdom of the East
        ******************
        Never 'pearl' your butt.
        ******************
        "Cultured pearls, eh? Do they turn their rounded noses up at other pearls, lift their pinkie when they drink seawater, and gossip horribly about pearls from less fortunate clams?" -- Martin der Wasserspeier
      • Patoodle@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2009
          Hi, Marija and Sfandra --

          This sounds great to me! I think Martinsburg is a couple of hours from
          where I am, assuming the outbound traffic isn't more horrendous than usual.
          (Martinsburg is sort of an exurb of Washington, D.C., these days.)

          Is your (Marija's) group Sylvan Glen? Would Slavic U. be held in
          conjunction with the Siege of Glengary (late September) or at some other date (maybe
          an indoor event without fighting)?

          I could teach my Pennsic U. survey class on Lithuania again, or I could
          split it up into more detailed segments (maybe by then!).

          Scheduling tip: In Atlantia, Kingdom-level events are generally the first
          weekend of each month, except that Twelfth Night is often the second
          Saturday of January, and except during Pennsic.

          Cheers,
          Lady Patricia of Trakai
          Barony of Storvik, Kingdom of Atlantia

          In a message dated 6/21/2009 3:29:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          seonaid13@... writes:

          > But I will throw out there that my shire is willing to host
          > the next one. I am trying to get an idea of what time of
          > year people would like it? Late Spring? Summer? Or? We have
          > access to a nice builing in Martinsburg, WV. This is about
          > an hour and a half drive from either Dulles in Washington DC
          > or BWI in Baltimore. Does this location sound doable to
          > folks? If you are a teacher and think you could come please
          > let me know. If the idea seems favorable we will go ahead
          > and pick a time and get all the plans in place!
          >
          > Lady Marija Kotok

          Hm. Boston or Providence to DC is a reasonable flight for me, and
          Enterprise LOVES me, gives me discounts all the time, so car rental is doable for
          me (esp if there are others who might want to arrive at the same time and
          share in costs)....

          HOWEVER, my major issue is always WHEN the event is. The past Slavic U
          landed during my work's busy season and my husband's birthday. So my
          deciding factor is going to be date. While winter is nice for breaking out the
          layers & furs, anything between Pennsic & New Years is tricky for me,
          because of work. Now, if you want to say "Late January", I can do that.

          ---Sfandra

          steps!
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323000x1201367220/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
          JunestepsfooterNO62)