Horse attire.

  • tatiana_moskovskaia
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
      Greetings to the list!

      Does anyone have any info on how the horses were decorated (covered)?
      Time is 1520-1530.

      Thank you,
      Tatiana Moskovskaia.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rerum_Moscoviticarum_Commentarii

        At the bottom there is a link to the digital copy of the english translation. He was there on a mission in 1517 and wrote about it. That report was published after his retirement from service in 1549 and is the basis for Fletcher in Rude and Barbarous Kingdom in the 1580s and is mentioned in Jaques Margerat's account in 1606 and Olearius's in the 1650's.

        There is a drawing of horse tack and equipment in the original.

        Best Regards,
        'dok

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2009
          Hi

          I'm working on putting together a couple of (early-ish Rus) necklaces and wondered what type of clasp would be appropriate, or at least, not horribly inappropriate.? I doubt I'd enter these into an A&S display, but you never know...

          Also, what would they be strung on?? Some kind of chain, waxed linen?

          Thanks
          Vasilisa Myshkina
          Glymm Mere, An Tir

        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2009
            Greetings from Sofya to Vasilisa

            >I'm working on putting together a couple of (early-ish Rus) necklaces and wondered what type of clasp would be appropriate, or
            >at least, not horribly inappropriate.? I doubt I'd enter these into an A&S display, but you never know...
            >
            >Also, what would they be strung on?? Some kind of chain, waxed linen?

            I've dug around in my books and haven't found much. I'm guessing the beads were strung on linen, perhaps silk or wool. The necklace reconstructions all seem to use some sort of string.

            I'd never thought about necklace clasps before, and I haven't found a lot since you've asked. Maybe you can find something useful here in Kolchin's Drevnyaya Rus: Byt i Kul'tura:

            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table40.jpg
            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table45.jpg
            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table47.jpg
            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table48.jpg
            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table55.jpg
            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table56.jpg
            http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table57.jpg

            At your service,

            Sofya

            Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            "S preizbytkom nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
          • Catherine Olanich Raymond
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2009
              On Saturday 27 June 2009 8:42:38 am L.M. Kies wrote:

              > I've dug around in my books and haven't found much. I'm guessing the beads
              > were strung on linen, perhaps silk or wool. The necklace reconstructions
              > all seem to use some sort of string.

              Do we have a good idea how long the necklaces were? A long necklace doesn't
              need a clasp--it can just be a long knotted loop of thread that goes over the
              head.

              Alternatively, a shorter necklace can be strung on string, and the string can
              be reknotted around the neck each time it is worn.

              --
              Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

              "Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which
              we can perform without thinking about them."
              -- Alfred North Whitehead, "An Introduction to Mathematics"

            • L.M. Kies
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2009

                Some of the glass bead necklaces may well have been long enough to slip over the head. The metal bead/medalion barma-type necklaces were not.

                Sofya

              • Catherine Olanich Raymond
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 27, 2009
                  On Saturday 27 June 2009 12:31:54 pm L.M. Kies wrote:
> [...]

                  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 28, 2009
                    Thanks for the replies.? I am actually working on *both* types of necklaces; glass bead and metal bead/barmy.?

                    Back to lurking
                    Vasilisa Myskina
                    Glymm Mere, An Tir