Re: [sig] any ideas?

  • jjbober4@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2009
      Agreed. A lot depends upon "where and when" factors as part of the period in question is during the interregnum.

      Factors which will influence this:
      - what area of Poland? If you're talking within the Silesian duchy, or in and around Krakow there is some German (read "western") influence here and some of the ceremonies will be similar.
      - the mindset also tends to differ depending upon whether the time period is before the interregnum, during, or after the reunification.

      Look in the "szlachta" chapter in "God's Playground". Though some of the references are after the specific period you're looking for I don't believe that the mindset would have changed *that* much in the intervening time. Remember that the Polish concept of feudalism is very different from the west and there was not as much of a concept of the Crown granting land, and the power coming down from the Crown, but coming up from the nobility. Something I found, and used in my oath of fealty, is that King was seen as the suzerain, or overlord, which is slightly different from the west. Also, I believe that in that chapter you can find the "duties" expected of the szlachta such as keeping and enforcing the Crown's laws, protecting the people on his land - even from the Crown, and things of that nature.

      My own elevation was not much out of the ordinary from others, but where I put my "Polish" mark on it was in my oath.

      Jan