Re: Slavic knighting ceremonies

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2009
      Greetings from Sofya to Kashka!

      >Greetings all! A good friend of mine is being knighted at Pennsic and has asked me about period Slavic knighting ceremonies or
      >the equivalent of one. I haven't had any luck on my own yet and was wondering if anyone else has come across anything on this
      >topic. Any help would be wonderful!
      >
      >Thanks to all!
      >Kashka

      I don't know about the other Slavic countries, but I haven't run across any information about knighting ceremonies in medieval Russia - they don't seem to gone in for that sort of thing. Here is what I sent to someone else recently who had a similar question trying to prepare a Russian-style SCA knighting in less than a week:

      Russian oaths: http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/scrolloaths.html

      I have a Russian translation of a 10th century Anglo-Saxon oath of fealty I made for a "squiring", and the notes I made in a failed attempt to use genuine period Russian texts to express the ideas in the oath of fealty. (Well, and the work I did on Mordok's Laurel scroll.)

      Regalia ideas: bestow a stovepipe fur hat like Master Mordok has - a crude one could be thrown together fairly quickly with fake fur & plastic canvas...

      Ceremony ideas: take stuff from the Russian coronation ritual (http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/romanov.html ), wedding ceremony (http://www.goldschp.net/archive/wedding.html ), incorporate the bread-and-salt ceremony somehow...(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_salt )...

      Let me know if you have other questions.

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 2009
        Thank you Sofya!

        Kashka