Re: [sig] Raguska vs. Raguzina (clipped)

  • Kresimir Zeravica
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26 3:29 PM
      Ok, actually a woman from Dubrovnik would call herself Dubrovkinja; just remembered that one thinking about the dialect from the city itself when I was goofing off at home trying to sound like a Dubrovcan (go figure). Oh and outside the Ragusean diIalect that would be bad grammar.

      And I agree with you toootally on the variances between types of audiences. And as such here is what I believe to be probably accurate to your needs. You are trying to write your personas name in such a way that the proper form should be in the infinitive tense.
      So here it is...

      in Latin: Lidia Ragvsea
      In Italian: Lidia de Ragusa
      in Croatian: Dubrovkinja Lidia

      The litteral translation of all of these would be: Lidia from the city of Ragusa/Dubrovnik.

      All this off course, entails that the naming custom you are trying to emulate, predates the custom of the last name becoming a proper name. It also excludes any tenses (and their appropriate declinations) other than the infinitive form in any of these languages as I stated previously.

      The two examples you point out with Marianna de Venezia, they are kinda sorta the same thing, save for their proper place in different tenses and situations. So one would be right in using either if correct.

      "Marianna de Venezia" is a proper period name
      "Marianna Veneziana" is more of a description of a known Marianna from venice that two parties are discussing.