Language translation

  • Lydia Leovic
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2009
      Friends,

      With respect to Croatian language translation online tools, please understand that the translation results are going to be very limited, especially because of the number of declinitives in Croatian.  For instance, if you translate a verb, the result changes depending on the subject of the sentence (I, he, she, they, you (singular), you (plural)).

      I am just beginning to understand what I do *not* understand about that language.

      I know there are native Croatian speakers on this SIG list, and I also get help from my family, so I feel lucky for those resources.  Use Google translator, but do not rely on it.

      Dovidjenja!
      Lidia
       Visit Lidia de Ragusa online at http://home.roadrunner.com/~lkleovic/

      Per bend sinister azure and argent, a sun in splendor Or and a fox passant azure.

      What's my latest fiber project?
      http://lidia-ragusa.diaryland.com/

      "Respect is what we owe; love, what we give." --Philip James Bailey

      "A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and
      he who plants kindness gathers love." --Basil

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , May 20, 2009
        Hey how's it going,
        ...speaking of declinations I noticed on your webpage the "Lidia iz Ragusa"...that is grammatically incorrect it should stand Lidia iz Raguze...yes even peoples proper names and places names are added a certain suffix which changes in various tenses in Croatian.
        I just figured you might want to know.

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        Posted by: "Amy Tubbs" ivanova.doch@ gmail.com   smolotova

[...]

        $9000/Month at Home. Learn how Part Time, online!.

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        Mom Power: Discover the community of moms doing more for their families, for the world and for each other

      • Leonora Radovcic
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2009
          I figure Lidia already knows this. But, don't forget that different places, cities, do keep the A at the end Some suffixes do not change with the use of "Iz" or "Od". My very small cents in here. :)

          Branimira

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Kresimir Zeravica <tonicwgin@...> wrote:

          > Hey how's it going,
          > ...speaking of declinations I noticed on your webpage the "Lidia iz Ragusa"...that is grammatically incorrect it should stand Lidia iz Raguze...yes even peoples proper names and places names are added a certain suffix which changes in various tenses in Croatian.
          > I just figured you might want to know.

          Snip*
        • Kresimir Zeravica
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2009
            Hej Branimira,
            imas pravo, nekad se taj sufiks ne mijenja a nekad se mijenja. Meni osobno razlog za to i nije znan jer mi taj dio gramatike nije najpoznatiji...ja to vise kolokvijelno prevodim.

            Ragusa, Dubrovnik
            ...ako bi netko odgovarao na pitanje "odakle si?" odgovor bi bio...
            Iz Raguze...ili Iz Dubrovnika...ponekad bi se to pitanje moglo odgovoriti i kao...
            Ja sam dubrovcan (ili dubrovcanka)...to vrijedi ukoliko se koristi hrvatsko ime Dubrovnik a ako se koristi latinski naziv Raguza odgovor bi u ovom drugom slucaju glasio vjerojatno...
            Ja sam Raguzin ili Raguzina...ovaj zadnji primjer je latiniziran i talijaniziran zbog utjecaja istih na jezik u Dalmatinskoj regiji to se zadrzalo do dan danas radi kulturosloskog utjecaja Venecije.

            Hey Branimira,
            you are right, sometime that suffix changes and sometime doesn't. Personally I don't really know why...since that part of grammar I am not very familliar with...I usually translate colocvially (not sure on spelling in eng. here).

            Ragusa, Dubrovnik
            ...if someone was answering the question "where are you from"  their answer would be...
            Iz Raguze...ili Iz Dubrovnika...and sometimes the same would be answered as...
            Ja sam dubrovcan (ili dubrovcanka)...this is valid if the Croatian name for Dubrovnik is used but if the latin name of Raguza is used then the answer could be...Ja sam Raguzin ili Raguzina...this last example is both latinized and italianized due to the Venetian cultural influence on the local language in Dalmatia.
            ++++++++++++
            Hey I really cant think of any examples that dont change that -a at the end, off the back of my hand, could you give us an example.

            oh, and yes I am asking for real, you got me thinking now ;)

            I figure Lidia already knows this. But, don't forget that different places, cities, do keep the A at the end Some suffixes do not change with the use of "Iz" or "Od". My very small cents in here. :)

            Branimira

            -

          • Leonora Radovcic
            Message 5 of 5 , May 24, 2009
              Bog, Kresimire,

              Tako je. Kad netko iz van grada pitaju odakle se, onda kazu da ste iz Raguse ili iz Dubrovnika. Ja sam po rijeklom iz Sibenika, pa bih upotrebljava to slovo A. A na odgovor pitanje kao? Onda kazem Ja sam Sibencanka. Slazem se sa tobom. Odlicno si objasnijo.

              Greetings, Kresimir,

              Exactly. When someone from out of area asks where are you from, you would say from Ragusa or from Dubronik. I am by birth from Sibenik, so I would use the leter A. The answer to the question of who are you, then I would say I am Sibenik. (Which sounds silly in English, but is a litteral translation.) I agree with all you said. You explained it just fine.

              No. I can't think of it at the top of my head either. But when I do, I'll post it. =D

              YIS