Re: [sig] Baltic Styled Coronet

  • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
    Message 1 of 12 , May 19, 2009
      When my hubby and I stepped down from being landed Ivan made us coronets to
      wear (if we wanted). They are very simple and since they are our "first"
      ones after wearing the Baronial coronets for 3 years, we went for simple and
      light.

      *http://tinyurl.com/qaxgb9 is me in mine.

      **http://tinyurl.com/ouetv8 is ivan in his

      *Ignore that we are in 14th Century that was just an oddity for us.

      We based the shape on the enameled diadems we've seen.

      The next set will probably have either etching work on the brass or
      stampwork.

      Ianuk

      On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I've just been invested as our new landed baron and I was wondering if
      > any of you have any suggestions on baltic styled headgear that I could
      > use as inspiration for my coronet. There are some lovely examples for
      > my lady, but I haven't found anything good for myself. Year is not
      > important at the moment.
      >
      > Can anyone help?
      >
      > Baron Giovanni

    • John Enzinas
      Message 2 of 12 , May 19, 2009
        Those are very elegant.
        Are any of the diadems online?

        --bg

        On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Jennifer Nelson Kemp
        <lady.ianuk@...> wrote:
        > When my hubby and I stepped down from being landed Ivan made us coronets to
        > wear (if we wanted).  They are very simple and since they are our "first"
        > ones after wearing the Baronial coronets for 3 years, we went for simple and
        > light.
        >
        > *http://tinyurl.com/qaxgb9  is me in mine.
        >
        > **http://tinyurl.com/ouetv8 is ivan in his
        >
        > *Ignore that we are in 14th Century that was just an oddity for us.
        >
        > We based the shape on the enameled diadems we've seen.
        >
        > The next set will probably have either etching work on the brass or
        > stampwork.
        >
        > Ianuk
        >
        > On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:
        >

        >> Hi All,
        >>
        >> I've just been invested as our new landed baron and I was wondering if
        >> any of you have any suggestions on baltic styled headgear that I could
        >> use as inspiration for my coronet. There are some lovely examples for
        >> my lady, but I haven't found anything good for myself. Year is not
        >> important at the moment.
        >>
        >> Can anyone help?
        >>
        >> Baron Giovanni

      • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
        Message 3 of 12 , May 19, 2009
          the hermitage has a few examples that I link to below:

          http://hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/03/hm3_6_1a.html

          I got the idea from (English Citation):

          Zhuravlev, Andre, ed. History of World Cultures: Treasures of the Oikumene.
          Book House, 2005.

          Rus Citation:
          Velikoe pereselenie / [glavnyĭ redaktor Andreĭ Zhuravlev].
          Moskva : Buk Khaus, 2005.

          Ianuk

          Message 4 of 12 , May 19, 2009
            I've always liked the way this one evokes the onion-dome archetectural style: http://www.darkridgejewels.com/gallery/CROWNS-CORONETS/midept

            It's pretty popular in the East, there are three or four of these around, on both Slavic and MiddleEastern/Persian personas.

            --Sfandra

            ******************
            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
            Haus Von Drakenklaue, Kingdom of the East
            ******************
            Never 'pearl' your butt.
            ******************
            "Cultured pearls, eh? Do they turn their rounded noses up at other pearls, lift their pinkie when they drink seawater, and gossip horribly about pearls from less fortunate clams?" -- Martin der Wasserspeier

            > I've just been invested as our new landed baron and I was
            > wondering if
            > any of you have any suggestions on baltic styled headgear
            > that I could
            > use as inspiration for my coronet. There are some lovely
            > examples for
            > my lady, but I haven't found anything good for myself. Year
            > is not
            > important at the moment.
            >
            > Can anyone help?
            >
            > Baron Giovanni
          • Barbara
            Message 5 of 12 , May 19, 2009
              That is beautiful. Mine is also based on that basic shape, but I fear it is
              too ornate for a baronial coronet. (At least in Calontir.)

              I'll post a pic in the photo section.

              Mir!
              Tatjana
              "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

              Wolf and Tiger Woodworking
              http://www.wolfandtiger.com

              > I've always liked the way this one evokes the onion-dome archetectural
              > style: http://www.darkridgejewels.com/gallery/CROWNS-CORONETS/midept
              >
              > It's pretty popular in the East, there are three or four of these around,
              > on both Slavic and MiddleEastern/Persian personas.
              >
              > --Sfandra
              >

              > ******************
              > Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
              > KOE, Maunche, Apprentice to Maitresse Irene LeNoir
              > Haus Von Drakenklaue, Kingdom of the East
              > ******************
              > Never 'pearl' your butt.
              > ******************
              > "Cultured pearls, eh? Do they turn their rounded noses up at other pearls,
              > lift their pinkie when they drink seawater, and gossip horribly about
              > pearls from less fortunate clams?" -- Martin der Wasserspeier

            • John Enzinas
              Message 6 of 12 , May 20, 2009
                Thanks. Those are lovely.
                --j

                On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Jennifer Nelson Kemp
                <lady.ianuk@...> wrote:
                > the hermitage has a few examples that I link to below:
                >
                > http://hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/03/hm3_6_1a.html
                >
                > I got the idea from (English Citation):
                >
                > Zhuravlev, Andre, ed. History of World Cultures: Treasures of the Oikumene.
                > Book House, 2005.
                >
                > Rus Citation:
                > Velikoe pereselenie / [glavnyĭ redaktor Andreĭ Zhuravlev].
                > Moskva : Buk Khaus, 2005.
                >
                > Ianuk
                >

                > On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:55 AM, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:
                >

                >> Those are very elegant.
                >> Are any of the diadems online?
                >>
                >> --bg
                >>

                >> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Jennifer Nelson Kemp
                >> <lady.ianuk@... <lady.ianuk%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                >> > When my hubby and I stepped down from being landed Ivan made us coronets
                >> > wear (if we wanted).  They are very simple and since they are our "first"
                >> > ones after wearing the Baronial coronets for 3 years, we went for simple
                >> and
                >> > light.
                >> >
                >> > *http://tinyurl.com/qaxgb9  is me in mine.
                >> >
                >> > **http://tinyurl.com/ouetv8 is ivan in his
                >> >
                >> > *Ignore that we are in 14th Century that was just an oddity for us.
                >> >
                >> > We based the shape on the enameled diadems we've seen.
                >> >
                >> > The next set will probably have either etching work on the brass or
                >> > stampwork.
                >> >
                >> > Ianuk

              • John Enzinas
                Message 7 of 12 , May 20, 2009
                  Is that one based on an extant one or is it just taking the design
                  themes of the area/time? My knowledge of the stuff that is further
                  east is fairly limited.
                  --j

                  On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

                  > I've always liked the way this one evokes the onion-dome archetectural style:  http://www.darkridgejewels.com/gallery/CROWNS-CORONETS/midept
                  >
                  > It's pretty popular in the East, there are three or four of these around, on both Slavic and MiddleEastern/Persian personas.
                  >
                  > --Sfandra
                  >

                  > ******************
                  > Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                  > KOE, Maunche, Apprentice to Maitresse Irene LeNoir
                  > Haus Von Drakenklaue, Kingdom of the East
                  > ******************
                  > Never 'pearl' your butt.
                  > ******************
                  > "Cultured pearls, eh? Do they turn their rounded noses up at other pearls, lift their pinkie when they drink seawater, and gossip horribly about pearls from less fortunate clams?" -- Martin der Wasserspeier

                • John Enzinas
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 20, 2009
                    Yours is also gorgeous!
                    --j

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 20, 2009
                      It's probably inspired/homage rather than based on an extant example. But you could email them and ask.

                      --Sfandra

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 20, 2009
                        I've never wanted on eof those but the artistry and skill in the SCA could tempt even me with beauty like that!!!!

                        Just simply outstanding across the board. I'm thinking this artisan is a Laurel? Should be if he or she isn't! Just My humble opinion!

                        Best Regards,
                        'dok

                        > That is beautiful.  Mine is also based on that basic shape, but I fear it is
                        > too ornate for a baronial coronet.  (At least in Calontir.)
                        >
                        > I'll post a pic in the photo section.
                        >
                        > Mir!
                        > Tatjana
                        > "It's never too late to be what you might have been."
                        >

                        > Wolf and Tiger Woodworking
                        > http://www.wolfandt iger.com

                      • Barbara