Beads.

  • tatiana_moskovskaia
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2009
      Since we are on the topic of beads and jewelry, I have a question.

      What kind of beads are good to use, other then pearls?
      I've read in one jewelry making book that they used to make glass seed beads in Russia centuries ago. Is it true?

      Thank you all in advance

      Tatiana Moskovskaia.
    • L.M. Kies
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2009
        Greetings from Sofya,

        A wide variety of beads were used for jewelry in Rus, and probably on clothing as a substitute for precious stones. Check out Liudmila's finds in the Files section of the SIG Yahoo! group for inspiration.

        I don't know what your source meant by "seed beads" - I have not seem much evidence of modern style 1 to 2mm diameter seed beads, but 4 to 5 mm beads could be called "seed beads" and I have seen a photo of archeological beads, without a scale unfortunately, that could be in that size range. I'll send a photo to you privately since the group strips attachments.

        At your service,
        Sofya

      • Catherine Olanich Raymond
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10, 2009
          > Greetings from Sofya,
          >
          > A wide variety of beads were used for jewelry in Rus, and probably on
          > clothing as a substitute for precious stones.  Check out Liudmila's finds
          > in the Files section of the SIG Yahoo! group for inspiration.
          >
          > I don't know what your source meant by "seed beads" - I have not seem much
          > evidence of modern style 1 to 2mm diameter seed beads, but 4 to 5 mm beads
          > could be called "seed beads" and I have seen a photo of archeological
          > beads, without a scale unfortunately, that could be in that size range.
          >  I'll send a photo to you privately since the group strips attachments.

          Could you post the photo in the SIG Group Photos section?

          --
          Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

          "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." --Voltaire

        • tatiana_moskovskaia
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2009
            Thank you, Sofya!

            The book I mentioned had no historical background, so I was not sure if I could trust it. I was hoping,though, that "biser" (бисер) or small 1-2 mm glass beads were period for Russia.

            Thank you for your time

            Tatiana Moskovskaia
            Outlands