North European Symposium on Archelogical Textiles has some articles of interest

  • Hastings Sanderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2009
      NESAT 10 just published their proceedings. You can find the abstracts here http://ctr.hum.ku.dk/upload/application/pdf/f51d6748/Final%20Abstracts%20May6.pdf

      While all the articles look fascinating, a couple are of special interest to this list so I thought I'd point them out.

      "Textiles from 3rd-12th c. AD cremation graves in Lithuania"

      "Textile Consumption in Medieval Tartu (Estonia)"

      "Textiles from the Scandinavian Burial of the Viking Age in Pskov"

      "Silk Textile from Kwidzyn (14th-17th Century) Poland"

      "Archelogical Tablet Woven Bands in the National Museum of Lithuania"

      "The Use of Horsehair in Female Headdress of 12th-14th Century" (Latvian)

      "Our Threads to the Neolithic"
      This one is fascinating to me personally as it examines the influence of plaiting and other decorative motifs between weaving and ceramics in later periods. Since one of my interests is in the continuation of motifs found in the Trypilian culture through into Ukrainian embroidery I can't wait to read the article.