Přemysl's Shoes

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2009
      Hi all,

      Hopefully someone will be able to help with my question.

      The story of Premysl becoming king of Bohemia, in the versions I have found online, all mention that when he reached Vysehrad castle, he was wearing his peasant shoes. Some of the versions elaborate and say that they were bast shoes.

      The source for this, seems to be the 13th century Cosmas of Prague, but does anyone know if there are any other sources that mention this?
      (If anyone knows of any manuscript illuminations that show the imagined or real shoes, that would be pretty cool too.)

      I'm mostly curious because I am looking for information on 'peasant' simple footwear, and haven't been able to find too much about non-leather shoes. I thought I might chase this story, just because there may be a 'fake' pair of shoes that date to the middle ages.

      (I do like this iteration, that says the rulers traditionally wore Premysl's shoes so they wouldn't forget the importance of the peasant class. http://chestofbooks.com/travel/czech/bohemia/John-Stoddard-Lectures/Bohemia-Part-3.html )

      Sorry for asking such strange questions all the time!
      ~Asfridhr