Re: [sig] Lithuanian Naming Practices?

  • Lisa Soto
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
      Thank you! That helps -- the wiki page explains that a lot of the names from
      antiquity are still in use today. So now I've spent a good portion of the
      morning googling for Lithuanian baby naming guides! (Why didn't I think of
      this sooner?) I'm turning up a lot of fun information that's not necessarily
      documentable.

      - Lisa/soon-to-not-be Catrina

      On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:11 AM, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Lisa Soto <eris235@...> wrote:
      > > Hi! I've been in the SCA now for almost 10 years and I'm finally refining
      > my persona. Since last summer, I've been on and off digging into research on
      > medieval lithuania, and would like to cultivate a lithuania persona around
      > 1000-1100 AD, specifically pre-Christianization. I haven't been able to find
      > much in the way of research for period names, though. I know that it should
      > be a single given name, with maybe a nickname but that's about it. I don't
      > know enough of the roots and dithemic vs. monothemic stuff to really come up
      > with something on my own.
      > >
      > > I've been using Catrina ab Aqua as my name for awhile, figuring that
      > "Katherine that lives over there near the water" was generic enough to
      > translate into a more proper name when the time was right.
      > >
      > > Can anyone help?
      > >

      > The wikipedia page is also pretty good:
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_name

    • Lisa Soto
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
        On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:22 AM, <Patoodle@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Lisa/Catrina!
        >
        > Lithuanian personas came up on the sca_heralds Yahoo group about five or
        > six weeks ago.

        Ooh! timely! :)

        > Medieval Lithuania is my big area of interest ... but sadly, as Aryanhwy
        > merch Catmael said on that other mailing list, there is very little
        > information on Lithuanian naming practices online, and what little there is,
        > isn't always in English. And women's names are even harder to figure out
        > than men's names.

        I know it's your area -- I recognize you from the class at Pennsic. :) Oh,
        and LJ! :)

        I think I've seen these pages. I've had them bookmarked. The Lituanus page
        is very, very dense and I don't know enough of what the roots /are/ to
        combine them, kwim?
        Aryanhwy also has a page on the s-gabriel.org site (
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/other/latvian.html) of Latvian given
        names.

        > There's one article in a journal called Lituanus:
        > http://www.lituanus.org/1982_3/82_3_01.htm
        >
        > There's another article that is a bit later period than the one you're
        > seeking: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1336/gediminidfem.html
        >
        > Finally, Aryanhwy put together a list of some possible sources:
        > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/other/lnlnames.html<http://www.ellipsis.cx/%7Eliana/names/other/lnlnames.html>

        Check this one out, too:

        http://www.lithuanian-american.org/educat/tradicijos/contents.html

        There's a PDF of given girls' and boys' names, along with some other
        interesting PDFs on lithuania.

        > <http://www.ellipsis.cx/%7Eliana/names/other/lnlnames.html>
        >
        > I ended up taking my legal first name and adding "of Trakai" to the end of
        > it (after Trakai castle and the town of Trakai), and the College of Arms
        > passed it. It doesn't satisfy me totally, especially since my mundane last
        > name would have been a perfect Lithuanian man's name in the pre-Christian
        > era, but there's just no way I'm going to stop some of my SCA friends from
        > calling me Patty. :-)

        My mom's maiden name is 'Katinas' which is lithuanian for 'alley cat'. I'm
        more than half-temped to take it as a surname just because the CoA requires
        at least 2 elements.

        > Bear in mind, too, that even if some early Lithuanians had one name, the
        > SCA College of Arms rquires at least two name elements. Sorry 'bout that.
        >
        > Good luck!
        >
        > In service,
        > Lady Patricia of Trakai
        > Atlantia

      • quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
          Hi,
          Another article from Lituanus that may help:
          "Pre-Christian name-giving in Lithuania" http://www.lituanus.org/1978/78_3_02.htm

          I know of some articles about 15-16th century Lithuanian-Tartar female names, but off the top of my head nothing earlier. If you're interested
          I'll try to find the articles.

          ~Asfridhr

          <<snip>>