Lithuanian Naming Practices?

  • Lisa Soto
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2009
      Hi! I've been in the SCA now for almost 10 years and I'm finally refining my
      persona. Since last summer, I've been on and off digging into research on
      medieval lithuania, and would like to cultivate a lithuania persona around
      1000-1100 AD, specifically pre-Christianization. I haven't been able to find
      much in the way of research for period names, though. I know that it should
      be a single given name, with maybe a nickname but that's about it. I don't
      know enough of the roots and dithemic vs. monothemic stuff to really come up
      with something on my own.

      I've been using Catrina ab Aqua as my name for awhile, figuring that
      "Katherine that lives over there near the water" was generic enough to
      translate into a more proper name when the time was right.

      Can anyone help?

      - Lisa

    • Lisa Soto

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2009
          Hi, Lisa/Catrina!

          Lithuanian personas came up on the sca_heralds Yahoo group about five or six weeks ago.

          Medieval Lithuania is my big area of interest ... but sadly, as Aryanhwy merch Catmael said on that other mailing list, there is very little information on Lithuanian naming practices online, and what little there is, isn't always in English. And women's names are even harder to figure out than men's names.

          There's one article in a journal called Lituanus: http://www.lituanus.org/1982_3/82_3_01.htm

          There's another article that is a bit later period than the one you're seeking: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1336/gediminidfem.html

          Finally, Aryanhwy put together a list of some possible sources: http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/other/lnlnames.html

          I ended up taking my legal first name and adding "of Trakai" to the end of it (after Trakai castle and the town of Trakai), and the College of Arms passed it. It doesn't satisfy me totally, especially since my mundane last name would have been a perfect Lithuanian man's name in the pre-Christian era, but there's just no way I'm going to stop some of my SCA friends from calling me Patty. :-)

          Bear in mind, too, that even if some early Lithuanians had one name, the SCA College of Arms rquires at least two name elements. Sorry 'bout that.

          Good luck!

          In service,
          Lady Patricia of Trakai
          Atlantia

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
            On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Lisa Soto <eris235@...> wrote:
            > Hi! I've been in the SCA now for almost 10 years and I'm finally refining my persona. Since last summer, I've been on and off digging into research on medieval lithuania, and would like to cultivate a lithuania persona around 1000-1100 AD, specifically pre-Christianization. I haven't been able to find much in the way of research for period names, though. I know that it should be a single given name, with maybe a nickname but that's about it. I don't know enough of the roots and dithemic vs. monothemic stuff to really come up with something on my own.
            >
            > I've been using Catrina ab Aqua as my name for awhile, figuring that "Katherine that lives over there near the water" was generic enough to translate into a more proper name when the time was right.
            >
            > Can anyone help?

            The wikipedia page is also pretty good:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_name
          • Lisa Soto
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
              Thank you! That helps -- the wiki page explains that a lot of the names from
              antiquity are still in use today. So now I've spent a good portion of the
              morning googling for Lithuanian baby naming guides! (Why didn't I think of
              this sooner?) I'm turning up a lot of fun information that's not necessarily
              documentable.

              - Lisa/soon-to-not-be Catrina

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
                On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:22 AM, <Patoodle@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Lisa/Catrina!
                >
                > Lithuanian personas came up on the sca_heralds Yahoo group about five or
                > six weeks ago.

                Ooh! timely! :)

                > Medieval Lithuania is my big area of interest ... but sadly, as Aryanhwy
                > merch Catmael said on that other mailing list, there is very little
                > information on Lithuanian naming practices online, and what little there is,
                > isn't always in English. And women's names are even harder to figure out
                > than men's names.

                I know it's your area -- I recognize you from the class at Pennsic. :) Oh,
                and LJ! :)

                I think I've seen these pages. I've had them bookmarked. The Lituanus page
                is very, very dense and I don't know enough of what the roots /are/ to
                combine them, kwim?
                Aryanhwy also has a page on the s-gabriel.org site (
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/other/latvian.html) of Latvian given
                names.

                > There's one article in a journal called Lituanus:
                > http://www.lituanus.org/1982_3/82_3_01.htm
                >
                > There's another article that is a bit later period than the one you're
                > seeking: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1336/gediminidfem.html
                >
                > Finally, Aryanhwy put together a list of some possible sources:
                > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/other/lnlnames.html<http://www.ellipsis.cx/%7Eliana/names/other/lnlnames.html>

                Check this one out, too:

                http://www.lithuanian-american.org/educat/tradicijos/contents.html

                There's a PDF of given girls' and boys' names, along with some other
                interesting PDFs on lithuania.

                > <http://www.ellipsis.cx/%7Eliana/names/other/lnlnames.html>
                >
                > I ended up taking my legal first name and adding "of Trakai" to the end of
                > it (after Trakai castle and the town of Trakai), and the College of Arms
                > passed it. It doesn't satisfy me totally, especially since my mundane last
                > name would have been a perfect Lithuanian man's name in the pre-Christian
                > era, but there's just no way I'm going to stop some of my SCA friends from
                > calling me Patty. :-)

                My mom's maiden name is 'Katinas' which is lithuanian for 'alley cat'. I'm
                more than half-temped to take it as a surname just because the CoA requires
                at least 2 elements.

                > Bear in mind, too, that even if some early Lithuanians had one name, the
                > SCA College of Arms rquires at least two name elements. Sorry 'bout that.
                >
                > Good luck!
                >
                > In service,
                > Lady Patricia of Trakai
                > Atlantia

              • quokkaqueen
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
                  Hi,
                  Another article from Lituanus that may help:
                  "Pre-Christian name-giving in Lithuania" http://www.lituanus.org/1978/78_3_02.htm

                  I know of some articles about 15-16th century Lithuanian-Tartar female names, but off the top of my head nothing earlier. If you're interested
                  I'll try to find the articles.

                  ~Asfridhr

                  <<snip>>