Re: Pechenig tribe?

  • Kataryna Dragonweaver
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2009
      I've seen info on the tribe show up in a couple of my Ukrainian history books...
      "History of Ukraine-Rus' volume 1: From Prehistory to the Eleventh Century" by Mykhailo Hrushevsky

      and

      "A History of Ukraine" by Paul R. Magocsi

      These are both history books so they don't discuss material culture to the depth you probably want for the SCA, but it's a start. Mostly they are listed as invaders in Ukraine, though my maps showed they held southern Ukraine for a time. (~8th/9th century)

      Googling Pecheneg will also give you a number of books.
      -Kataryna
    • Suzanne
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2009
        My 2 para on the subject:

        I doubt that "Pecheneg" comes from the Turkish root for barbarian, since they were a Turkic group themselves. You may see it written as "Patzinak" in some sources--the joys of transliteration! And I'll be very surprised if you find anything about their garb, since they seem to have been semi-nomadic and didn't leave much behind for us to study.

        I think they came from Central Asia, and had settled north of the Danube by the end of the 9th century... at one point there was an alliance of the [Christian] Bulgarians and the [not Christian] Pechenegs against the [also Christian] Greeks (i.e., Byzantines) which just sounds weird to me. :-) I've also read that the Pechenegs chased the Magyars out of wherever they were at that time and into the area we now call Hungary, thus creating a new Magyar state. Then, the Byzantines tried an alliance with the Pechenegs against the Bulgarians, and later convinced the Pechenegs to attack Kiev (where they were completely driven out by the Slavs)... and in the middle of the 11th century some of the Pechenegs received Byzantine permission to settle south of the Danube, but they seem to have been bad neighbors. ;-) In 1091 they attacked Constantinople and were, basically, completely wiped out by yet another alliance of the Greeks and a different group of Turkic people (Cumans, also called Polovtsy). I'd say the Pechenegs were major spoilers in their day but, unlike some other groups, they didn't survive to tell us about their heroic history.

        I know, TMI!
        Susanna