Re: Chasing Ghosts - Another egg on decorated eggs

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8 5:03 PM
      Should point out too -- if you read the description of the Opole pisanki, it does specify that it is made out of stone (limestone) which would explain why it would be called 'calcified' in the English translation, since Limestone _is_ Calcium carbonate.

      Sorry, not the best news. But on the bright side, there is a fragment of a pisanki at the bottom of the page that might be an eggshell? We can always hope.

      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:
      http://znaleziska.org/wiki/index.php?title=Pisanka_wapienna_%28Opole%29
    • Kataryna Dragonweaver
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8 7:02 PM
        Thank you so much! This is great.
        I will now run around dancing an jumping about in excited circles.

        Actually the clay egg info helps too... since I do want to try making them.
        -Kataryna-insanely-happy-about-this

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

        > Kataryna,
        >
        > Does this help?
        > http://znaleziska.org/wiki/index.php?title=Pisanka_wapienna_%28Opole%29
        >
        > Also found these!
        > http://www.archeologia.donimirski.com/pl/multimedia/fotogaleria/eksponaty/
        > http://www.giecz.pl/index.php?go=kostrzewski_1966b
        > http://znaleziska.org/wiki/index.php?title=Pisanka_sztuczna_polewana_(Giecz) (Colour photo)
        > http://znaleziska.org/wiki/index.php?title=Pisanki_sztuczne_polewane_%28Cedynia%29
        > http://znaleziska.org/wiki/index.php?title=Pisanka_sztuczna_polewana_%28Wolin%29
        >
        > It looks like the others are clay eggs, though, so probably not what you are looking for.
        >
        > ~Asfridhr (who keeps putting random Polish words into Google.)
        >
        > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Kataryna Dragonweaver" <kataryna_dragonweaver@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well another tidbit has come up about the batik eggs.
        > > http://www.muzeumwsiopolskiej.pl/content.do?mid=mid94
        > > According to one newspaper article the egg was calcified, and decorated using batik.
        > > I've emailed the museum to see if they could provide more info.
        > >
        > > And more details about the making of ostrich egg rhyta in Greece:
        > > http://www.therafoundation.org/articles/art/thefashioningofostricheggrhytainthecretomycenaeanaegean
        > >
        > > Also I have a couple of papers about Neolithic ostrich eggs found in Africa that are scribed with something sharp and then the designs soot-ed so that the design stands out... there are some good pictures in them, I just need to get the summaries of the papers posted. If anyone wants the references I can probably send them to you faster then it will take me to post the summaries.
        > >
        > > -Kataryna

      • Kataryna Dragonweaver
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8 7:07 PM
          Yes, but a calcium carbonate batik egg is great too.... it's batik. on an egg... it's a place to move from where I was - I couldn't find batik even on the ceramic eggs prior to this.

          And an egg can be calcified/fossilized if dumped into the correct soil/peat bog conditions - I think I have to get the papers listed on the site, and get some more information.
          -Kataryna