Re: [sig] Museum of Russian Icons

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2009
      Well folks, that was amazing. I'll have pictures and notes, and a full write up for SLOVO, but let me just say....

      If anyone is interested in icons, GET UP HERE. It's AMAZING. 15th and 16th Century icons, most not even under glass. They have an Andrei Rublev and a Dionisii. There are several Minyeia (icons of the complete calendar of saints days, hundreds of tiny portraits of saints!) and they obligingly have magnifying glasses hung next to them, so you can get a good look at the tiny details. Seriously, "three hairs and air" level of detail here (for those who used to watch Bob Ross).

      The lecture was third in a series, and it turned out I'd missed the history of the state lecture, and this one was about Icons specifically. But the next one, in 2 weeks, is on daily life of Kievan Rus, so I'm going to have to find a way to slip out of work early again. :-D Fortunately, the museum desk had copies of the last handout, so I did get the notes on the history of the state of early russia, so that's good.

      The lecturer had a strong accent, but understandable, and I had the opportunity to chat with her briefly before the lecture. She'd never heard of the SCA, but when she asked what I've read, she was pretty approving of my library (I think I mentioned Vernadsky, Grekov, and Tikhomirov) so that's good. Getting the professor's OK on my reading material, ha ha ha -- felt like I was back in college, getting signoff on a research project!

      For those who have studied icons -- is there any relation of the symbolic 'language' of icons to earlier pictoral systems, like the arrangement of the heiroglyphs in the egyptian Book of the Dead?

      I did find out that metals aren't considered colors in early russian icons and art... that's a nice twist I'll have to use to torment Heralds at some point, ha ha ha.....

      Anyway, this weekend I'll be loading images onto the Yahoogroups home and writing up the musuem for SLOVO and transcribing all my notes.

      Cheers!
      Sfandra

      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue, Kingdom of the East
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
      "Cultured pearls, eh? Do they turn their rounded noses up at other pearls, lift their pinkie when they drink seawater, and gossip horribly about pearls from less fortunate clams?" -- Martin der Wasserspeier