Possible error in Food and Drink in Medieval Poland

  • panimagdalena56
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2009
      In Food and Drink in Medieval Poland (Maria Dembinska) on page 117, she
      states that Poland adopted the term piemick from the German
      Pfefferkuchen as far as a spice cookie or cake (gingerbread).
      Everything I have come across lists PIERNIK or plural PIERNIKI in
      Polish for gingerbread. I did a very unscientific experiment and
      googled both words. Piemick/piemik didn't bring up anything related to
      Poland or gingerbread while piernik did. And I didn't find anything
      close to piemick in my Polish dictionary.

      While not a liguist, I see a closer connection between pierniki and
      prianiki than with pfefferkuchen. Is the Russian word also an
      adaptation of the German?

      I would really like to hear from the liguists and anyone else on this
      point.

      Magdalena