French site on MIddle Ages

  • panimagdalena56
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2009
      I received this web page today. I don't speak or read French but this
      seems loaded with information.

      http://sallerin.club.fr/index.htm

      Click on the categorie button. In the Arm and Armour list are several
      selections on the Teutonic Knights. I haven't had time to check the
      other categories but I did stumble across a manuscript on bestiaries.
      So, it isn't all "modern" books.

      Magdalena
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 18, 2009
        I just glanced at it, but basically, the site owner says he/she's just scanning anything he/she finds that's 'medieval': text, research, books, etc. The title "Virtuatheque" is clever: Virtual + Bibliotheque (library).

        The warning on the left ("Avertissement") says the siteowner believes the books are all public domain, but if you have the Copyright to the text and want him to take it down, email him.... etc.

        The right blurb just briefly explains the books are arranged by categories instead of by title/author etc. And if you know of something you'd like to see included, let the siteowner know.

        Below left, "Contenu des documents" just says "hey, i found em and posted 'em, i don't own 'em, didn't write 'em, so don't email me bitching that the contents are out of date, or inaccurate or whatever."

        Below right is the standard "it's in PDF, go get updated Acrobat."

        Accueil = Home
        Oyez! = New/Updates
        Categories is clear.
        Forum = link is busted.

        The categories are: Architechture, Armor Arms & the Art of War, Arts Sciences & Skills, Workshops, Maps & Geography, Horses & Equestrian arts, Clothing & Daily Life, Laws & Justice, Fencing, Heraldry, History & Biographies, Literature, The Sea & Ships, Food & the Table, Religious & Military Orders, Religion & Esoterica (I do find it interesting to make those two separate), and lastly Viollet-le-Duc who was an architect (the books under this category are basically 'history of french architecture' books).

        Thanks for the site -- it's been a while since I've had something french to translate. :D

        --Sfandra

        ******************
        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        Haus Von Drakenklaue
        Kingdom of the East
        ******************
        Never 'pearl' your butt.

        > Click on the categorie button. In the Arm and Armour list
        > are several
        > selections on the Teutonic Knights. I haven't had time to
        > check the
        > other categories but I did stumble across a manuscript on
        > bestiaries.
        > So, it isn't all "modern" books.
        >
        > Magdalena

        >     mailto:sig-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Brandon J. Snowder
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25, 2009
          So I'm comissioning a drinking horn from this master carver. (I'm very excited.)

          As part of the horn I'm wanting a phrase to be incorporated, and I need a decent translation for it. It could be in either Russian Old Russian or the futhark runes for that matter. I do (Kievan Rus if that helps anyone)

          Emphasis is primarily on what looks best aesthetically as the horn is for myself primarily and not just the persona.

          The phrase is: For the Glory of God Alone.

          Its from the latin Sola Deus Gloria. But of course I would prefer the cyrillic font, I also am told theres a cursive cyrillic, not sure which would look better. The entire peice is a Ravens head and beak toped by a viking braid with the script between the raven and the braidwork.

          Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 26, 2009
            The standard Slavonic term is "Slava Bogu" (= "glory to God"), and we
            have psalmody with "Slava vo vyshnikh Bogu" (= Glory to God in the
            highest). I can't recall the Slavonic for "alone" or "only" --
            although I feel I should.

            Effingham
          • T Duran
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 26, 2009
              On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:
              > The standard Slavonic term is "Slava Bogu" (= "glory to God"), and we
              > have psalmody with "Slava vo vyshnikh Bogu" (= Glory to God in the
              > highest). I can't recall the Slavonic for "alone" or "only" --
              > although I feel I should.

              Tolka ? Transliteration probably wrong -- I don't know how to
              indicate that lift on the l.

              Kazimira
            • L.M. Kies
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 26, 2009
                Greetings from Sofya,

                I believe the correct translation would be:

                «Одному Богу слава»
                http://www.ekklesiast.ru/arhiv/2008/03_2008/06.html

                At your service,

                Sofya
                P.S. Только is usually transliterated as tol'ko.

                Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                "Насытившимся книжной сладости"
              • aldo
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 27, 2009
                  ELIKO
                  or
                  TOKMO

                  Aldo

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4 4:52 AM
                    Don't know about the exact phrase you're looking for, but I've always liked
                    "slava tebe boshze nash, slava tebe" which I was told amounts "all glory to
                    God, glory to Him"

                  • L.M. Kies
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 4 6:27 AM
                      Greetings from Sofya

                      >Don't know about the exact phrase you're looking for, but I've always liked
                      >"slava tebe boshze nash, slava tebe" which I was told amounts "all glory to
                      >God, glory to Him"

                      Literally translated, the above means "Glory to you our God, glory to you". Notice the use of the ty (tebe) form of address rather than vy (vam) in what is, presumably, a very polite/formal prayer -- more evidence that using "vy" as a polite form of address is post-period.

                      At your service,

                      Sofya

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                        So I found a good pattern for this hat that looks liek I won't mess up too badly.

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yaroslav_reconstruction01.jpg

                        Now the trick is I'm trying to find out if it is correct for my period. I mean I know good old Yaro (as he always told his friends to call him) is wearing it, but the pictures there and in the article proper are secondary sources. Does anyone have solid documentation on this kind of hat?

                        I'm also wanting to make it out of Astrakahn/Karakul for the middle and rabbit fur for the trim. Thought it would look nice.

                      • L.M. Kies
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 16, 2009
                          Greetings from Sofya

                          You mean like this? http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html

                          What pattern were you planning to use?
                          http://www.renaissancetailor.com/demos_asianhats.htm
                          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Garb/patternfurhat.bmp
                          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Garb/patternfurhat2.bmp

                          At your service,

                          Sofya

                          Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
                          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                          "S preizbytkom nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
                        • Brandon J. Snowder
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 18, 2009
                            Wouldn't you know it. the same website I got the pattern from has the exact information I need that I never bothered to look at. We'll call this a learning moment.

                            And the pattern I had was the second one with six segments. Although the place that had teh first pattern answered a lot of questions for me, and was very helpful to a poor nebie like myself.

                            Thank you very much for your help.