names [was Re: Musings on SCA-cultural impact]

  • Suzanne
    Message 1 of 60 , Feb 6, 2009
      Thank you Branimira!

      My secondary [but favorite] persona is a circa 1510 childless widow,
      related to the best families of Rab [an island in the northern
      Adriatic, which I'm sure Branimira knows, but the rest of the list may
      not know] -- she's one of those anonymous older ladies that every
      family has, who knits mittens for the little kids and always has some
      piece of wisdom to impart that no one wants to hear ;-) -- and I just
      can't settle on a name.

      My first attempt at a personal name was Adrijana Marijana (a meager
      play on words for Adriatic Sea) but I couldn't find any evidence for
      Catholics using two names in the 15th/16th century; and as for a
      surname, do I use Marcic-Galzigna, Galzigna-Marcic, or Dominis-Nemir?
      All appear in the travel books I'm using for background detail, but
      those books were written in the late 1960s by romantic Englishmen who
      may not have had a ruddy clue what they were talking about. :-)
      (Okay, so I need to find a decent history book...) I recently heard
      of an Italian woman's name, Lusanna, that appeals to me but it's
      documented for Florence in my time period so may not work. My persona
      is living in *Venetian* territory; plus, I don't know of a Croatian
      equivalent for Lusanna. BTW, I don't think Susana is documentable for
      Croatia in our period, even though it appears later. Hmmm... Snezana?
      Still too modern!

      I'd be grateful for any advice you have!
      Susanna

      p.s. to one and all: how do I add the diacritic marks??? Branimira
      will recognize some things missing from my typing.

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Leonora Radovcic" <Lightpaws@...> wrote:

      > > Susanna de l'Essart
      > > (still working on the Croatian name... be patient!)
      >

      > And, which Croatian name are you working on? Maybe I can help.
      >
      > Branimira
      > East Kingdom
      >
      > <snippage>
    • Leonora Radovcic
      Message 60 of 60 , Feb 19, 2009
        At the start when I was looking for my current SCA name, I had gone
        through this site. But, it seems that there were no new information
        regarding feminine Croatian names. The books I had gone through when
        I was at the library in Croatian mostly covered the men in history,
        and not much of females.

        Susana, I hope that the link Lord Vladislav provide would be of help
        to you. Know that most male names can be changed to female by just
        adding the "a" at the end. Good luck.

        YIS
        Branimira
        East Kingdom