Musings on SCA-cultural impact

    Message 1 of 60 , Feb 4, 2009
      So, dunno how many Easterners there are here, but right now, the East Kingdom email listserv is AFIRE with discussions of Newbies, Bad Garb, and how to get them Involved, and into Good Garb.

      And one person, who I presume was demonstrating the slippery slope of enforcing the SCA basic garb standard, went on to list the potentially 'not allowed' things that some histronic gate volunteer might object to in enforcing the rule. And of course Russia was on the list, as being "not European". Now, they were being facetious, of course, but I was suddenly struck by this thought:

      There are FAR more Eastern European personas now than there were 7 years ago, when I changed my persona to Russian.

      Is that what other people are seeing too? In addition to an increasing number of EE/Slavic personas, I see the eastern europeans usually doing a MUCH better job of presenting their persona than I do almost any other culture. I see a large volume of generic-Viking and generic-MiddleEastern at most large events, but I also see more and more well-made shubas and geirmaks and kokoshniki cropping up.

      Are we just better, in some way, at encouraging good persona-presentation?

      Mulling,
      Sfandra Dmitrieva

      ******************
      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue
      Kingdom of the East
      ******************
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
    • Leonora Radovcic
      Message 60 of 60 , Feb 19, 2009
        At the start when I was looking for my current SCA name, I had gone
        through this site. But, it seems that there were no new information
        regarding feminine Croatian names. The books I had gone through when
        I was at the library in Croatian mostly covered the men in history,
        and not much of females.

        Susana, I hope that the link Lord Vladislav provide would be of help
        to you. Know that most male names can be changed to female by just
        adding the "a" at the end. Good luck.

        YIS
        Branimira
        East Kingdom