Re: [sig] Russian Alternate Titles List Update

  • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
      This is awesome! i was actually having a heated discussion on whether or not i can say Velikii Kniaz in wording of a scroll instead of Tsar, which is a late period term. I'm so glad to hear of these changes.

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
        Go Sofya!!! Glad to see some progress has been made...course I'll have to
        wait on the final outcome of the Boier discussion.

        Ianuk

        On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

        > This is awesome! i was actually having a heated discussion on whether or
        > not i can say Velikii Kniaz in wording of a scroll instead of Tsar, which is
        > a late period term. I'm so glad to hear of these changes.
        >
        > Lada
        >
        > Oooooh...
        > SHINY!
        >
        > --- On Tue, 2/3/09, L.M. Kies <lkies@... <lkies%40jumpgate.net>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: L.M. Kies <lkies@... <lkies%40jumpgate.net>>
        >
        > Subject: [sig] Russian Alternate Titles List Update
        > To: sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 8:49 PM
        >
        > Greetings from Sofya!
        >
        > The results of the Russian Alternate Titles List Revision are available on
        > the November 2008 LoAR:
        >
        > http://heraldry. sca.org/loar/ 2008/11/08- 11cl.html
        >
        > Although the key titles of "masteritsa" and "boiarin/boiarynia" were
        > returned (and are being prepared for re-submission) , many of the other
        > proposed titles were accepted!
        >
        > I hope you find them useful.
        >
        > At your service,
        >
        > Sofya

        > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova

        > http://www.strangel ove.net/~ <http://ove.net/%7E> kieser

      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
          Greetings from Sofya,

          >Im confused, why is'nt knight considered a title or am I thinking the wrong way?

          I believe the conclusion of the LoAR is that "druzhinnik" is not a title and therefore not a suitable Russian equivalent for the title Knight. Since I have only one period source of this term that largely died out in Kievan period, I have no basis to debate the point, nor am I inclined to try again to get it passed and thereby inflict in on later period personas. So for now, Russian Knights must settle for the just-as-poorly-documented and un-Russian title Rytsar. (Until I manage to get boiarin/boiarynia passed.)

          At your service,

          Sofya

        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
            Thank you Lady Sofya, your work is awesome and I wish you all the luck.

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
            "Russia is a mystery inside a riddle wrapped in a enigma!" Winston Churchill

            To: sig@yahoogroups.com
            From: lkies@...
            Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 21:22:26 -0500
            Subject: RE: [sig] Russian Alternate Titles List Update

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
              The three in my Kingdom use Syr....I tried to talk them into the unholy version Tsyr, but they all said it was wrooooooong, which it is!

              Best Regards,
              'dok

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
                There are 2 other Russian words for Knight that may be applicable:
                Vityaz - this word i think would be an appropriate equivalent to Knight since this word was used to refer to the better soldiers or knights in our SCA case. I can see if i can look up more references to the exact use of the word.
                or
                Bogatyr' (this i feel is less appropriate since it refers more to a hero than a knight)

                Lada

                Oooooh...
                SHINY!

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                  > Bogatyr' (this i feel is less appropriate since it
                  > refers more to a hero than a knight)
                  >
                  > Lada

                  LOL! My initial thought for "bogatyr" was "save that for the loonies who are king more than twice!" Colloquially, we call them "super-dukes" or "insane".... ;p

                  --Sfandra

                  ******************
                  Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                  Haus Von Drakenklaue
                  Kingdom of the East
                  ******************
                  Never 'pearl' your butt.
                • Danks Cole
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                    I was wondering if somebody could post the proper pronunciation for
                    these titles. Just when I get used to saying and spelling pomestnik...hehe

                    Vlakh

                    L.M. Kies wrote:

                    > Greetings from Sofya!
                    >
                    > The results of the Russian Alternate Titles List Revision are
                    > available on the November 2008 LoAR:
                    > http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html
                    > <http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html>
                    >
                    > Although the key titles of "masteritsa" and "boiarin/boiarynia" were
                    > returned (and are being prepared for re-submission), many of the other
                    > proposed titles were accepted!
                    >
                    > I hope you find them useful.
                    >
                    > At your service,
                    >
                    > Sofya

                  • L.M. Kies
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                      Someone (wink) has already updated the titles on the Russian Knowledge Pages, along with pronunciations:
                      http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/SCA+Alternative+Titles

                      Oh, and Pomestnik is still on the list - particularly suitable for late period personas.

                      Sofya

                      L.M. Kies wrote:

                      > Greetings from Sofya!
                      >
                      > The results of the Russian Alternate Titles List Revision are
                      > available on the November 2008 LoAR:
                      > http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html
                      > < " target=_new>http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html>

                    • Danks Cole
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                        I'm late 10th, so Dvorianin seems most appropriate...

                        Dvorianin Vlakh Drugov syn Izmaragdov