Russian Alternate Titles List Update

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
      Greetings from Sofya!

      The results of the Russian Alternate Titles List Revision are available on the November 2008 LoAR:
      http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html

      Although the key titles of "masteritsa" and "boiarin/boiarynia" were returned (and are being prepared for re-submission), many of the other proposed titles were accepted!

      I hope you find them useful.

      At your service,

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
        Lady Sofya,

        Im confused, why is'nt knight considered a title or am I thinking the wrong way? Im not following the reasoning here. I usually just lurk but this drew my interest

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov

        To: sig@yahoogroups.com
        From: lkies@...
        Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:49:36 -0500
        Subject: [sig] Russian Alternate Titles List Update

        Greetings from Sofya!

        The results of the Russian Alternate Titles List Revision are available on the November 2008 LoAR:
        http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html

        Although the key titles of "masteritsa" and "boiarin/boiarynia" were returned (and are being prepared for re-submission), many of the other proposed titles were accepted!

        I hope you find them useful.

        At your service,

        Sofya

      • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
          This is awesome! i was actually having a heated discussion on whether or not i can say Velikii Kniaz in wording of a scroll instead of Tsar, which is a late period term. I'm so glad to hear of these changes.

          Lada

          Oooooh...
          SHINY!

          The results of the Russian Alternate Titles List Revision are available on the November 2008 LoAR:

          http://heraldry. sca.org/loar/ 2008/11/08- 11cl.html

          Although the key titles of "masteritsa" and "boiarin/boiarynia" were returned (and are being prepared for re-submission) , many of the other proposed titles were accepted!

          I hope you find them useful.

          At your service,

          Sofya

          Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova

          http://www.strangel ove.net/~ kieser

        • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
            Go Sofya!!! Glad to see some progress has been made...course I'll have to
            wait on the final outcome of the Boier discussion.

            Ianuk

            On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

            > This is awesome! i was actually having a heated discussion on whether or
            > not i can say Velikii Kniaz in wording of a scroll instead of Tsar, which is
            > a late period term. I'm so glad to hear of these changes.
            >
            > Lada
            >
            > Oooooh...
            > SHINY!
            >
            > --- On Tue, 2/3/09, L.M. Kies <lkies@... <lkies%40jumpgate.net>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: L.M. Kies <lkies@... <lkies%40jumpgate.net>>
            >
            > Subject: [sig] Russian Alternate Titles List Update
            > To: sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 8:49 PM
            >
            > Greetings from Sofya!
            >
            > The results of the Russian Alternate Titles List Revision are available on
            > the November 2008 LoAR:
            >
            > http://heraldry. sca.org/loar/ 2008/11/08- 11cl.html
            >
            > Although the key titles of "masteritsa" and "boiarin/boiarynia" were
            > returned (and are being prepared for re-submission) , many of the other
            > proposed titles were accepted!
            >
            > I hope you find them useful.
            >
            > At your service,
            >
            > Sofya

            > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova

            > http://www.strangel ove.net/~ <http://ove.net/%7E> kieser

          • L.M. Kies
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
              Greetings from Sofya,

              >Im confused, why is'nt knight considered a title or am I thinking the wrong way?

              I believe the conclusion of the LoAR is that "druzhinnik" is not a title and therefore not a suitable Russian equivalent for the title Knight. Since I have only one period source of this term that largely died out in Kievan period, I have no basis to debate the point, nor am I inclined to try again to get it passed and thereby inflict in on later period personas. So for now, Russian Knights must settle for the just-as-poorly-documented and un-Russian title Rytsar. (Until I manage to get boiarin/boiarynia passed.)

              At your service,

              Sofya

            • christopher chastain
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
                Thank you Lady Sofya, your work is awesome and I wish you all the luck.

                Yours in Humble Service,
                Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
                "Russia is a mystery inside a riddle wrapped in a enigma!" Winston Churchill

                To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                From: lkies@...
                Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 21:22:26 -0500
                Subject: RE: [sig] Russian Alternate Titles List Update

                Greetings from Sofya,

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
                  The three in my Kingdom use Syr....I tried to talk them into the unholy version Tsyr, but they all said it was wrooooooong, which it is!

                  Best Regards,
                  'dok

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
                    There are 2 other Russian words for Knight that may be applicable:
                    Vityaz - this word i think would be an appropriate equivalent to Knight since this word was used to refer to the better soldiers or knights in our SCA case. I can see if i can look up more references to the exact use of the word.
                    or
                    Bogatyr' (this i feel is less appropriate since it refers more to a hero than a knight)

                    Lada

                    Oooooh...
                    SHINY!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                      > Bogatyr' (this i feel is less appropriate since it
                      > refers more to a hero than a knight)
                      >
                      > Lada

                      LOL! My initial thought for "bogatyr" was "save that for the loonies who are king more than twice!" Colloquially, we call them "super-dukes" or "insane".... ;p

                      --Sfandra

                      ******************
                      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                      Haus Von Drakenklaue
                      Kingdom of the East
                      ******************
                      Never 'pearl' your butt.
                    • Danks Cole
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                        I was wondering if somebody could post the proper pronunciation for
                        these titles. Just when I get used to saying and spelling pomestnik...hehe

                        Vlakh

                        L.M. Kies wrote:

                        > Greetings from Sofya!
                        >
                        > The results of the Russian Alternate Titles List Revision are
                        > available on the November 2008 LoAR:
                        > http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html
                        > <http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html>
                        >
                        > Although the key titles of "masteritsa" and "boiarin/boiarynia" were
                        > returned (and are being prepared for re-submission), many of the other
                        > proposed titles were accepted!
                        >
                        > I hope you find them useful.
                        >
                        > At your service,
                        >
                        > Sofya

                      • L.M. Kies
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                          Someone (wink) has already updated the titles on the Russian Knowledge Pages, along with pronunciations:
                          http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/SCA+Alternative+Titles

                          Oh, and Pomestnik is still on the list - particularly suitable for late period personas.

                          Sofya

                          L.M. Kies wrote:

                          > Greetings from Sofya!
                          >
                          > The results of the Russian Alternate Titles List Revision are
                          > available on the November 2008 LoAR:
                          > http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html
                          > < " target=_new>http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2008/11/08-11cl.html>

                        • Danks Cole
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                            I'm late 10th, so Dvorianin seems most appropriate...

                            Dvorianin Vlakh Drugov syn Izmaragdov