Introducing myself and a question about valenki

  • Hastings Sanderson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
      I've been reading here for quite awhile and truly appreciate the time
      and effort as well as the generosity that so many of you have in
      sharing your research. To introduce myself; I'm in an area with no
      SCA chapter, so I don't really have a persona, but I have a serious
      interest in textile history (my thesis was on aspects of Elizabethan
      sumptuary law-- always a great way to introduce yourself if someone
      has insomnia :p.) Recently I have become very intrigued by the
      embroidery and decorative tradition of the Slavs. My kitchen drawers
      are filling up with rushniki and my husband is starting to be
      concerned about my consumption of red thread. :) I would really like
      to develop a 12th-13th century Russian persona if the opportunity ever
      presents itself just to have an excuse to do something with all the
      embroidery.

      One of my major mundane interests (in addition to embroidery,sewing
      and costuming in general) is in felting and I was wondering if any of
      you could point me in the right direction for documentation regarding
      felt boots? I've made quite a few pairs of modern felt boots and
      slippers over the years as well as some felt boot liners for Mongol
      style boots and am in the middle of working on a rather sketchy
      version of the Khazar felt boot. I'd like to make some valenki for
      some friends and would really like to be able to include some
      documentation for them.

      Thank you for letting me join the group and I look forward to getting
      to know you

      -Hastings
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
        You do valenki? I was just talking to a Lord in Akron about them today! Would it be possible to see some pictures?

        Best Regards,
        'dok

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
          In case anyone wants to take a look at some modern
          valenki, to get some ideas...

          http://www.stpetersburger.com/html/russian_valenki.html

          --Sfandra
          --I love that website, I've received some pendants
          from Sampo from that site...

          Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
          Haus Von Drakenklaue
          Kingdom of the East
          Never 'pearl' your butt.
        • Hastings Sanderson
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
            I've never made any Valenki as such. I've done several pairs of wool boots
            from customized lasts though, so the Valenki would be less complex as they
            aren't as shaped. Hoping to try it out in the next few weeks, I'm just
            processing a couple of fleeces now for the wool. I'll post pictures as soon
            as I make the attempts.