ISO Bohemian garb info

  • Suzanne
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2009
      Greetings unto the list --

      A young lady who is new to our canton asked for help with "Bohemian"
      garb. I'm embarrassed to say that I assumed she meant Sudeten German
      [because the only other "Bohemian" I know identifies with that group]
      and gave her some links to German websites.

      But what she really wants is the traditional SLAVIC Bohemians and now
      I'd like to correct my mistake... if only I knew what to tell her!
      Can anyone give us some pointers? She is new to garb-making in
      general and is about to try her hand at a generic cotton t-tunic but I
      know she'll want something more specific soon. :-)

      I have a vague idea that I should point her towards information from
      Prague, but I admit I'm way out of my comfort zone on this topic.
      (And I forgot to ask her what century she's interested in so I need to
      get more information before we go much further.) She already knows
      how to sew and embroider, so we're mostly looking for visual sources.

      TIA,
      Susanna
    • Milan
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2 11:33 AM
        here is a web resource for you and her to take a look at

        http://kazi.webz.cz/wagner/index.html

        There is a book that these images come from, but i cant recall the
        title right now. When i get back home, ill pull it off the shelf and
        post it for you. These line drawings are often tracings of the
        originals from period sources, but because of that some details may be
        lost. However, it will give you a good start to 14th and 15th century
        Bohemian style and fashion.

        I wish her the best of luck, i too am working on a proper bohemian
        persona and finding it very difficult yet interesting topic to
        research. Hope to be of help

        Best of luck,
        Milan
      • Catherine Olanich Raymond
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2 4:11 PM
          On Monday 02 February 2009 2:33:24 pm Milan wrote:
          > here is a web resource for you and her to take a look at
          >
          > http://kazi.webz.cz/wagner/index.html
          >
          > There is a book that these images come from, but i cant recall the
          > title right now.

          It wouldn't be "Gothic Woman's Fashion" by Olga Sronkova, would it?

          --
          Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

          "If someone offers you a dead dog for lunch, you don't stick around for the
          pudding." --Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

        • Milan
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3 8:16 AM
            Nope the book is...

            Medieval Costume, Armour and Weapons

            By: Edward Wagner, Zoroslava Brobna', and Jan Durdik
            ISBN: 0-486-41240-7
            published by Dover Publications.

            the czech title is i believe
            "Kroje, zbroj a zbrane doby predhusitske' a husitske"

            It focuses on 1350-1450 Hope this was helpful! Best of luck!

            Milan
          • Milan
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3 7:49 PM
              here is another link,

              http://www.kostym.cz/

              Click on the screen, then click the british flag to get it into
              english. Most of the site is in Czech, but you can click your way
              through to find what you want.

              Also check out Slovnik.cz and googles language tools to translate
              things into english. In order to research this culture you are pretty
              much forced to work through czech (and german) language resources.

              Cheers!
              Milan