Caucuses cooking

  • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2009
      I've been looking for some period cook recipes from the Caucuses region, Georgia, Azerbaijan, etc

      I have a few Russian cookbooks at home that follow the Orthodox calendar and such so i know there are some recipes in there but those are Russian mostly.

      I'm particularly interested in the Russian Eggplant Caviar. The recipe has been in my family for quite a number of generations and I've manged to track it back historically to about the 18th century.
      I know all the ingredients of the recipe are used in period. and I've seem it in multiple cookbooks. Is there anything that can tell me whether or not it's a period recipe?

      Thank you,

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

    • Suzanne
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2009
        I'm pretty sure that if you look into Persian-style cooking of the
        period, you'll find similar preparations. Lilia Zaouali's book on
        "Medieval Cuisine of the Islamic World" may help with that search. It
        seems plausible to me that period recipes from the Caucasus would show
        some Persian influence.

        The second question is, what are the ingredients in your family's
        "ikra"? Tomatoes and bell peppers are native to Central & South
        America, so the tricky part is figuring out *when* those ingredients
        were accepted into Central Asian cooking. (How late is your persona?)
        I can imagine the dish without tomatoes... but not peppers!

        Susanna

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@...> wrote:

        > I've been looking for some period cook recipes from the Caucuses
        region, Georgia, Azerbaijan, etc

        > I have a few Russian cookbooks at home that follow the Orthodox
        calendar and such so i know there are some recipes in there but those
        are Russian mostly.

        > I'm particularly interested in the Russian Eggplant Caviar. The
        recipe has been in my family for quite a number of generations and
        I've manged to track it back historically to about the 18th century.
        > I know all the ingredients of the recipe are used in period. and
        I've seem it in multiple cookbooks. Is there anything that can tell me
        whether or not it's a period recipe?

        > Thank you,
        >
        > Lada

      • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2009
          Yes it is indeed the recipie involving eggplant, tomatoes and bell peppers. Though my family recipe does not use bell peppers.
          As far as period it's a possible feast dish so i think i can get away with a border selection of food/time period.
          I will check out the book. I know for a fact that Azerbaijan foods have a very strong Persian influence as per some very quick research.

          Lada

          Oooooh...
          SHINY!

          I'm pretty sure that if you look into Persian-style cooking of the

          period, you'll find similar preparations. Lilia Zaouali's book on

          "Medieval Cuisine of the Islamic World" may help with that search. It

          seems plausible to me that period recipes from the Caucasus would show

          some Persian influence.

          The second question is, what are the ingredients in your family's

          "ikra"? Tomatoes and bell peppers are native to Central & South

          America, so the tricky part is figuring out *when* those ingredients

          were accepted into Central Asian cooking. (How late is your persona?)

          I can imagine the dish without tomatoes... but not peppers!

          Susanna

          --- In sig@yahoogroups. com, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@ ...> wrote:

          > I've been looking for some period cook recipes from the Caucuses

          region, Georgia, Azerbaijan, etc

          > I have a few Russian cookbooks at home that follow the Orthodox

          calendar and such so i know there are some recipes in there but those

          are Russian mostly.

          > I'm particularly interested in the Russian Eggplant Caviar. The

          recipe has been in my family for quite a number of generations and

          I've manged to track it back historically to about the 18th century.

          > I know all the ingredients of the recipe are used in period. and

          I've seem it in multiple cookbooks. Is there anything that can tell me

          whether or not it's a period recipe?

          > Thank you,

          > Lada

        • Suzanne
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 20, 2009
            Yummmmm. :-)

            I've only had the Russian version from the old Time-Life "Russian
            Cooking" set. The Balkan version, which is one of my favorite comfort
            foods, is called "ajvar" [EYE-var, for the English speakers] and has
            no tomatoes but *a lot* of red bell pepper -- it's a beautiful deep
            red color and the flavor is wonderful. Thank goodness, there's a
            small independent grocery store in my town that imports it!!

            Let us know how your feast guests rave about Baklazhannaya Ikra --
            'cause we know they will.

            Susanna

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@...> wrote:

            > Yes it is indeed the recipie involving eggplant, tomatoes and bell
            peppers. Though my family recipe does not use bell peppers.
            > Lada

            <snipped>