Re: [sig] My trip to Moscow

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
      Brava Lada. Let me know soon if there is anything new.Tks

      Aldo
      From: Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@...>
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 12:10 PM

      The dig books are not the Novgorod ones. Even though i did look for a possible re-print of those. I'll look up the exact location of those digs tonight and post it.

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

      From: Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@ yahoo. com>

      Subject: [sig] My trip to Moscow

      To: "Slavic Group" <sig@yahoogroups. com>

      Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 12:03 PM

      Greeting to everyone!

      I hope everyone had a joyous and wonderful Christmas, Hanukkah and is looking forward to the New Year. I'm back from Moscow. Got a bit of a cold, but it was well worth it.

      I really had a blast visiting family and friends and going to the museums/ book shopping :)

      I'll be sure to put up a more detailed report (aka pictures) when i get a chance I'm not sure what's the best way to it. Cause i wasn't allowed to take any pictures in the museums so i bought a catalogue and a few other books.

      I visited the Armory and i was a bit disappointed since most 90% was all post 1600's and unfortunately not very well labeled when earlier pieces were in the same case. I'll scan my drawings (had to make drawing since no photography was allowed)

      The best trip was to the Museum of History of Moscow. Once again most of the collection pertained to a later period. I have a personal observation that finding anything 13th-15th century (aka Mongol rule) is nearly impossible. I think it's partially due to the fact that that period is viewed as a disgraceful one to the nation. The few interesting things that i did find i made drawings off and i also bought the museum catalogue in English to share with everyone (it should be able to fit on my scanner)

      Also at the museum of History of Moscow I found out about Sigismund von Herberstein and his visit to Moscow in the 16th century. According to the museum he is the first to really document Russia to the western world. I found his book Notes on Muscovite Affairs complete with his illustrations and illustrations of his contemporaries.

      I also bought a books. I very quickly realized that the best books are archeology books and i hit jackpot when i found books titled soemthign along the lines "Archaeological digs of the Nothern Russian villages of X-XII centuries Volumes 1 and 2" Volume 3 will be publishing soon so the store will call one of my relatives and let them know that they got the book. there are photos and drawing of things that were found and it's very very very very cool!!!

      I think I'll try to put something together for Pennsic because the books are too big to scan really.

      One thing i really found very little on was clothing. it was a bit disappointing. I realize that clothing is one of the 1st things to deteriorate in burials and such so what would be the best way to look for clothing references? the Notes on Muscovite Affairs has illustrations of men's clothing but nothign really on women's.

      I'll be working on putting together something more coherent about my trip/findings as well as references of the books and such.

      Happy Holidays to all :)

      Lada

      Oooooh...

      SHINY!

    • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
        The title of the archeology books is:
        The Archeology of the Rural Areas of Northern Rus 900-1300 AD (this is on the inside cover in english and russian)
        This dig is at the Lake Kubenskoe
        " Lake Kubenskoe is a large body of water of glacial origin, located south of the 60th parallel in the southern taiga sub-area. In summer the lake measures c. 370 sq .m. The river Sukhona rises from the lake and its confluencece with the Yug marks the begining of the Northern Dvina, one of the largest rivers in the White Sea Basin." This is from the bit of English notes in the back to give an idea of where these digs lie.

        Lada

        Oooooh...
        SHINY!

        From: Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo. com>