RE: [sig] Re: Sarafan.

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
      Greetings from Sofya!

      Sorry about the delay in replying. I've been swamped with email and work lately.

      >My main concern was the time period,when did Sarafan appear as woman's dress.

      This is most thorough review of the sarafan question I've yet found:

      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/rabinovich86.html

      Sofya

    • Tatiana Golter
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 20, 2008
        Thank you, Sofya!
        This is perfect, since my persona is of Ivan III period, which is the second
        half of 14c.
        Tatiana
        --
        If the only prayer you say in you life is "Thank you", that would suffice.

      • Trasi McCart
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 20, 2008
          Thank you for the wonderful information.  This is indeed a great source of information.  The information refers to several possible illustrations, would you have access to those as well?  I am very visual.....

          Thank you again for the information!

          Katinka

        • gigglesheep
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 20, 2008
            Sorry, Ivan III is second half of 15c.
            Tatiana
          • gigglesheep
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 20, 2008
              Sorry, Ivan III is second half of 15c
              Tatiana
            • Marilee Humason
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 21, 2008
                No honey, Ivan the III is Ivan the terribles daddy, he was late 1400's
                stasi

                There is a fine line between sharing dreams and enabling illusion.

                Shadenfroid: the pathetic joy you shamelessly get from the misery of others.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 22, 2008
                  Greetings from Sofya to Katinka.

                  >Thank you for the wonderful information. This is indeed a great source of information. The information refers to several possible >illustrations, would you have access to those as well? I am very visual.....

                  The excerpt I posted actually only references one illustration - an OOP 17th cent. sketch of a woman in poneva skirt and a very unclear sketch of a girl supposedly in a sarafan, also 17th century. (The rest of the many parenthetical remarks are his footnotes.) You may be "very visual" (who isn't?) but I'm sure you can picture a woman with a calf-length skirt wrapped around her ankle-length rubakha... ;-)

                  More seriously, I don't usually publish the illustrations because I'm unsure of their copyright status and while I have full rights to my translations, I don't have rights to the pictures.

                  At your service,

                  Sofya

                  Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser