Re: Making a Wing

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 18, 2008
      I thank all of you for your replys.

      Water haredened leather. Yes. That is brilliant. (and, of course, I
      believe i just threw something similar away, by total bad.)

      Still, now I am on the right track.

      I live in San Diego, CA. There are a few 'craft' stores in the
      nighborhood. Will go there looking for feathers.

      The plan is for a 'real looking wing'. (although, a 'drawn wing'
      might not be out of place either.)

      Richard
    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
        Costume shops sell wing sets in white and black that are actually
        pretty good as a 'naturalistic' wing, of the sort one sometimes sees
        attached to a scutum. Actually a project I have started (the
        question is, will I ever finish?)
        -Rick
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <tinbasher1960@...> wrote:

        > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, barb <dragon.rose55@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Making--as in "drawing" a wing?  Find a pic of what you want,
        > enlarge it for your use...
        > >
        > > I thought, when I saw the heading on this message, you meant
        making
        > a Polish Hussar wing set!
        > > my bad...
        >
        > Not bad at all. You are on the right track. Based on the Oprey
        > books 'Polish Armies (1) and Winged Hussars, there are, in
        > the 'plates' sections, two images of shields with wings on the
        shields.

        > These shields seem to be the look of the hussars during the 'ren'
        era
        > (1530-1570?) or thereabouts.
        >
        > Making the shield may not be so difficult (wood, metal).
        The 'wing'

      • spmaiorca@cox.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
          hi,
          I was wondering if any one has some links about Slavonic?
          -Nicodim
        • spmaiorca@cox.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
            hi,
            http://www.aboutromania.com/VladTepesDraculeWayda1493.jpg
            some of you may know this is is nromaly idenrtified as a derawing of Prince Vlad III dracula of Walachia I was wondering if any one knows the name for the style-or refences for simular caps in the 15th-16th century time frame?
            Nicodim Vladescu
          • Richard
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 22, 2008
              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Orli" <orlirva@...> wrote:

              > Costume shops sell wing sets in white and black that are actually
              > pretty good as a 'naturalistic' wing, of the sort one sometimes sees
              > attached to a scutum. Actually a project I have started (the
              > question is, will I ever finish?)
              > -Rick

              Way too funny bro!

              r.
            • Richard
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 22, 2008
                This is to Wiktor.

                My e-mail reply 'bounced'.

                Thank you for replying (it was off list.)

                Richard P. in San Diego
              • krpurtell
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Does anyone have a pattern for this?

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <spmaiorca@...> wrote:

                  > hi,
                  > http://www.aboutromania.com/VladTepesDraculeWayda1493.jpg
                  > some of you may know this is is nromaly idenrtified as a derawing of
                  Prince Vlad III dracula of Walachia I was wondering if any one knows
                  the name for the style-or refences for simular caps in the 15th-16th
                  century time frame?
                  > Nicodim Vladescu

                • Catherine Olanich Raymond
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
                    On Tuesday 02 December 2008 6:01:31 pm krpurtell wrote:
                    > Does anyone have a pattern for this?
                    >
                    > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <spmaiorca@...> wrote:
                    > > hi,
                    > > http://www.aboutromania.com/VladTepesDraculeWayda1493.jpg
                    > > some of you may know this is is nromaly idenrtified as a derawing of
                    >
                    > Prince Vlad III dracula of Walachia I was wondering if any one knows
                    > the name for the style-or refences for simular caps in the 15th-16th
                    > century time frame?

                    Huh? I have never seen an image of Prince Vlad wearing *that* style of hat
                    before! I thought you were going to show an image like this:

                    http://lycees.ac-rouen.fr/sainte-therese/comenius/IMG/jpg/vlad-tepes.jpg

                    I don't know whether there are sources for period names of any of the various
                    15th or 16th century hats. The one in the drawing you've given a pointer two
                    looks like a type of hat seen on hunters in western European minatures of the
                    period, *except* for the flat top.

                    --
                    Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

                    "The heresy of one age becomes the orthodoxy of the next."
                    --Helen Keller

                  • Rick Orli
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
                      Here is a fun clip from a romanain movie about Vlad tepes

                      http://dracula-transylvania.blogspot.com/2008/04/vlad-tepes-1979.html

                      I had the pleasure of meeting the costume director of
                      that '79 movie this weekend -Rick