Re: [sig] Judging a 16c Russian Tale

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
      > Our Principality is having an Arts and Sciences
      > Competition.  One of the entrants is doing a 16c
      > Russian Tale.
      >
      > If one were to offer one's services as a judge, does
      > anyone have any idea what to look for from the
      > entrant?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jeanne

      Caveat: THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSONAL OPINION. I am not
      an SCA bard or storyteller. Mundanely, I have an
      advanced degree in Theatre.

      I personally would look for a good performance first.
      IMO, the documentation of the tale itself is something
      separate, and should be provided in a brief (one page)
      handout to the judges. I personally would only weight
      the story's documentation about 15% to 20% of the
      score. IMO, of COURSE the story should have a period
      basis. That's kind of a 'given' for the SCA.

      More important to me would be: Is the teller
      engaging? Are they making eye contact with various
      members of the audience? Are they speaking clearly?
      Are they loud enough to be heard without shouting?
      (IE: are they projecting well). Is there a steady
      pace to the tale? Is there a flow, rising and
      falling, to their delivery, so that the performance is
      neither frenetic nor monotonous? Is their phrasing
      appropriate? Are they breathing well (not gasping in
      at the end of each sentence)? Are they successfully
      "drawing the audience in" to the tale? This is maybe
      50% of my score.

      Then, after all of the above, which I consider all
      "good performance skills" (again, I have had
      professional training, so YMMV), then I consider if
      they're making me feel like I'm hearing a native of
      that culture relate the tale. This can be
      accomplished either by using a good accent
      (exceedingly difficult) or by occasional uses of
      phrases/words in the language. [For example: I forget
      who told me this, IIRC a native russian speaker, but
      the phrase used at the beginning of Russian folk tales
      translates to "in another time, in another kingdom.."
      -- their version of "once upon a time". So I would
      start stories with that phrase.] Or I might expect a
      storyteller to use a russian word immediately followed
      by the english translation. I'd expect to hear those
      russian words that the average SCA audience would
      recognize -- boyar, boyarina, Novgorod, tsar --
      pronounced with the correct accents and inflections.

      Am I setting a high standard? Maybe. Again, I come
      from a professional background, and while I absolutely
      get that most folks haven't had the kind of training I
      have (ask me about tongue-stretches sometime... I kid
      you not!), there's no reason NOT to shoot for that
      kind of standard. Bards were the SuperstarActors and
      RockStars of their era. I consider performance skills
      on the same level as embroidery or woodcarving, or any
      of the other arts & sciences pursued in the SCA.
      Actually, I find embroidery much harder.... ;-)

      Yours in Service,
      Sfandra Dmitrieva

      ******************
      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue
      Kingdom of the East
      ******************
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
        If they date it specifically to 16th century, it must be a written story as opposed to a bylina or a folktale.That is, the standard opening will not apply, most likely. I have competed with all of those, and as far as I could tell the judges looked for a performance as compared to other performances. I try to provide good documentation, and the judges did use it to understand the specifics of the telling. I have all of my documentation here: http://sca-russian.com/research.html , scroll down for Documentation section.
        Liudmila

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 17, 2008
          Thanks!

          Jeanne

          ?

          Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail. yahoo.ca