Judging a 16c Russian Tale

  • Jeanne
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
      Hi!

      Our Principality is having an Arts and Sciences Competition.  One of the entrants is doing a 16c Russian Tale.

      If one were to offer one's services as a judge, does anyone have any idea what to look for from the entrant?

      (No idea what the tale is yet or how it's being presented, but they need a judge and if they can't find someone, I would like to be able to help out).

      Thanks,
      Jeanne

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
        > Our Principality is having an Arts and Sciences
        > Competition.  One of the entrants is doing a 16c
        > Russian Tale.
        >
        > If one were to offer one's services as a judge, does
        > anyone have any idea what to look for from the
        > entrant?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jeanne

        Caveat: THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSONAL OPINION. I am not
        an SCA bard or storyteller. Mundanely, I have an
        advanced degree in Theatre.

        I personally would look for a good performance first.
        IMO, the documentation of the tale itself is something
        separate, and should be provided in a brief (one page)
        handout to the judges. I personally would only weight
        the story's documentation about 15% to 20% of the
        score. IMO, of COURSE the story should have a period
        basis. That's kind of a 'given' for the SCA.

        More important to me would be: Is the teller
        engaging? Are they making eye contact with various
        members of the audience? Are they speaking clearly?
        Are they loud enough to be heard without shouting?
        (IE: are they projecting well). Is there a steady
        pace to the tale? Is there a flow, rising and
        falling, to their delivery, so that the performance is
        neither frenetic nor monotonous? Is their phrasing
        appropriate? Are they breathing well (not gasping in
        at the end of each sentence)? Are they successfully
        "drawing the audience in" to the tale? This is maybe
        50% of my score.

        Then, after all of the above, which I consider all
        "good performance skills" (again, I have had
        professional training, so YMMV), then I consider if
        they're making me feel like I'm hearing a native of
        that culture relate the tale. This can be
        accomplished either by using a good accent
        (exceedingly difficult) or by occasional uses of
        phrases/words in the language. [For example: I forget
        who told me this, IIRC a native russian speaker, but
        the phrase used at the beginning of Russian folk tales
        translates to "in another time, in another kingdom.."
        -- their version of "once upon a time". So I would
        start stories with that phrase.] Or I might expect a
        storyteller to use a russian word immediately followed
        by the english translation. I'd expect to hear those
        russian words that the average SCA audience would
        recognize -- boyar, boyarina, Novgorod, tsar --
        pronounced with the correct accents and inflections.

        Am I setting a high standard? Maybe. Again, I come
        from a professional background, and while I absolutely
        get that most folks haven't had the kind of training I
        have (ask me about tongue-stretches sometime... I kid
        you not!), there's no reason NOT to shoot for that
        kind of standard. Bards were the SuperstarActors and
        RockStars of their era. I consider performance skills
        on the same level as embroidery or woodcarving, or any
        of the other arts & sciences pursued in the SCA.
        Actually, I find embroidery much harder.... ;-)

        Yours in Service,
        Sfandra Dmitrieva

        ******************
        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        Haus Von Drakenklaue
        Kingdom of the East
        ******************
        Never 'pearl' your butt.
      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
          If they date it specifically to 16th century, it must be a written story as opposed to a bylina or a folktale.That is, the standard opening will not apply, most likely. I have competed with all of those, and as far as I could tell the judges looked for a performance as compared to other performances. I try to provide good documentation, and the judges did use it to understand the specifics of the telling. I have all of my documentation here: http://sca-russian.com/research.html , scroll down for Documentation section.
          Liudmila

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 17, 2008
            Thanks!

            Jeanne

            ?

            Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail. yahoo.ca