Making a Wing

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
      Greetings All,

      Does anyone know of any sites that describe how to make a wing?

      Specifically, a wing on a shield. (eagle? hawk?)

      Richard P.
    • barb
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
        Making--as in "drawing" a wing?  Find a pic of what you want, enlarge it for your use...

        I thought, when I saw the heading on this message, you meant making a Polish Hussar wing set!
        my bad...

        ♥ barb ♥
        my little ol` web page

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 14, 2008
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, barb <dragon.rose55@...> wrote:

          > Making--as in "drawing" a wing?  Find a pic of what you want,
          enlarge it for your use...

          > I thought, when I saw the heading on this message, you meant making
          a Polish Hussar wing set!
          > my bad...

          Not bad at all. You are on the right track. Based on the Oprey
          books 'Polish Armies (1) and Winged Hussars, there are, in
          the 'plates' sections, two images of shields with wings on the shields.

          These shields seem to be the look of the hussars during the 'ren' era
          (1530-1570?) or thereabouts.

          Making the shield may not be so difficult (wood, metal). The 'wing'
          (or at least the feathers, may prove to be a challenge.

          Richard
        • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 14, 2008
            Are you looking to have an actual wing feather sand all attached to the shield? or are you doing just a drawing/painting of it? or is this a raised sculpted design?

            Lada

            Oooooh...
            SHINY!

          • jjbober4@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 14, 2008
              I haven't done it, but if I were going to I'd probably sew/glue/epoxy (all of the above) the feathers to a piece of water hardened leather. Then use a couple of small bolts to attach it to the wooden shield, hiding the bolt heads under the feathers. I believe that folks like Tandy sell feathers.

              Jan

              From: "Richard" <tinbasher1960@...>
              > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, barb <dragon.rose55@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Making--as in "drawing" a wing?�� Find a pic of what you want,
              > enlarge it for your use...
              > >
              > > I thought, when I saw the heading on this message, you meant making
              > a Polish Hussar wing set!
              > > my bad...
              >
              > Not bad at all. You are on the right track. Based on the Oprey
              > books 'Polish Armies (1) and Winged Hussars, there are, in
              > the 'plates' sections, two images of shields with wings on the shields.
              >
              > These shields seem to be the look of the hussars during the 'ren' era
              > (1530-1570?) or thereabouts.
              >
              > Making the shield may not be so difficult (wood, metal). The 'wing'
              > (or at least the feathers, may prove to be a challenge.
              >
              > Richard

            • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 14, 2008
                I would definitely use something that you can really bury the feathers in so they are set tight. I think epoxy that you can bury the tips in and have it set hard. Ok my english is really bad now... need to coffee :)
                I just used some feathers on my Halloween costume and I sewed on some of them and they moved around a lot or cracked when i tried to piece them. The glue held better but some started to fall out by the end of the night.

                Lada

                Oooooh...
                SHINY!

                > I haven't done it, but if I were going to I'd
                > probably sew/glue/epoxy (all of the above) the feathers to a
                > piece of water hardened leather. Then use a couple of small
                > bolts to attach it to the wooden shield, hiding the bolt
                > heads under the feathers. I believe that folks like Tandy
                > sell feathers.
                >
                > Jan

                > From: "Richard"
                > <tinbasher1960@...>
                > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, barb
                > <dragon.rose55@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Making--as in "drawing" a wing? Find
                > a pic of what you want,
                > > enlarge it for your use...
                > > >
                > > > I thought, when I saw the heading on this
                > message, you meant making
                > > a Polish Hussar wing set!
                > > > my bad...
                > >
                > > Not bad at all. You are on the right track. Based on
                > the Oprey
                > > books 'Polish Armies (1) and Winged Hussars, there
                > are, in
                > > the 'plates' sections, two images of shields
                > with wings on the shields.
                > >
                > > These shields seem to be the look of the hussars
                > during the 'ren' era
                > > (1530-1570?) or thereabouts.
                > >
                > > Making the shield may not be so difficult (wood,
                > metal). The 'wing'
                > > (or at least the feathers, may prove to be a
                > challenge.
                > >
                > > Richard

              • Michelle Stewart
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 14, 2008
                  You mentioned Tandy. If you are in the Denver area there is an Indian Trading Post that sells feathers. If prices and like the bead prices should get a good deal.
                  Meisha
                • Richard
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 18, 2008
                    I thank all of you for your replys.

                    Water haredened leather. Yes. That is brilliant. (and, of course, I
                    believe i just threw something similar away, by total bad.)

                    Still, now I am on the right track.

                    I live in San Diego, CA. There are a few 'craft' stores in the
                    nighborhood. Will go there looking for feathers.

                    The plan is for a 'real looking wing'. (although, a 'drawn wing'
                    might not be out of place either.)

                    Richard
                  • Rick Orli
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                      Costume shops sell wing sets in white and black that are actually
                      pretty good as a 'naturalistic' wing, of the sort one sometimes sees
                      attached to a scutum. Actually a project I have started (the
                      question is, will I ever finish?)
                      -Rick

                    • spmaiorca@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                        hi,
                        I was wondering if any one has some links about Slavonic?
                        -Nicodim
                      • spmaiorca@cox.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                          hi,
                          http://www.aboutromania.com/VladTepesDraculeWayda1493.jpg
                          some of you may know this is is nromaly idenrtified as a derawing of Prince Vlad III dracula of Walachia I was wondering if any one knows the name for the style-or refences for simular caps in the 15th-16th century time frame?
                          Nicodim Vladescu
                        • Richard
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 22, 2008
                            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Orli" <orlirva@...> wrote:

                            > Costume shops sell wing sets in white and black that are actually
                            > pretty good as a 'naturalistic' wing, of the sort one sometimes sees
                            > attached to a scutum. Actually a project I have started (the
                            > question is, will I ever finish?)
                            > -Rick

                            Way too funny bro!

                            r.
                          • Richard
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 22, 2008
                              This is to Wiktor.

                              My e-mail reply 'bounced'.

                              Thank you for replying (it was off list.)

                              Richard P. in San Diego
                            • krpurtell
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
                                Does anyone have a pattern for this?

                                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <spmaiorca@...> wrote:

                                > hi,
                                > http://www.aboutromania.com/VladTepesDraculeWayda1493.jpg
                                > some of you may know this is is nromaly idenrtified as a derawing of
                                Prince Vlad III dracula of Walachia I was wondering if any one knows
                                the name for the style-or refences for simular caps in the 15th-16th
                                century time frame?
                                > Nicodim Vladescu

                              • Catherine Olanich Raymond
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
                                  On Tuesday 02 December 2008 6:01:31 pm krpurtell wrote:
                                  > Does anyone have a pattern for this?
                                  >
                                  > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <spmaiorca@...> wrote:
                                  > > hi,
                                  > > http://www.aboutromania.com/VladTepesDraculeWayda1493.jpg
                                  > > some of you may know this is is nromaly idenrtified as a derawing of
                                  >
                                  > Prince Vlad III dracula of Walachia I was wondering if any one knows
                                  > the name for the style-or refences for simular caps in the 15th-16th
                                  > century time frame?

                                  Huh? I have never seen an image of Prince Vlad wearing *that* style of hat
                                  before! I thought you were going to show an image like this:

                                  http://lycees.ac-rouen.fr/sainte-therese/comenius/IMG/jpg/vlad-tepes.jpg

                                  I don't know whether there are sources for period names of any of the various
                                  15th or 16th century hats. The one in the drawing you've given a pointer two
                                  looks like a type of hat seen on hunters in western European minatures of the
                                  period, *except* for the flat top.

                                  --
                                  Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

                                  "The heresy of one age becomes the orthodoxy of the next."
                                  --Helen Keller

                                • Rick Orli
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
                                    Here is a fun clip from a romanain movie about Vlad tepes

                                    http://dracula-transylvania.blogspot.com/2008/04/vlad-tepes-1979.html

                                    I had the pleasure of meeting the costume director of
                                    that '79 movie this weekend -Rick