Re: Another question about names.

  • gigglesheep
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

      My opinion is: Would it be useful to do it? If u study languages for
      other purposes than speaking it, it is worth while...

      > Ciao
      >
      > Aldo

      Dear Aldo!
      You are absolutely right, when you study your native language in
      school, you never think (at least I never have) of how and why things
      are done or said. However, when you look at Language as Science, things
      are quite different and I have to admit, more interesting. A lot of
      questions come up. And "anatomy of your own language", like you've
      said, takes place. (;
      Thanks again for your input.

      Tatiana Moskovskaia.
    • H
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
        When is the deadline for proposals for classes at the 12th Night Slavic University?

        Until I have no more time or space to fill in at the event. But that being said, the sooner you give me an idea that you want to do a class, the sooner I can block out space and time. I promised the autocrat I would post my classes as I get them so that it will create draw for the event. There should be a website up by the end of this week, and you should be able to look at it to see a list of the classes. I already have a request not to double schedule the pysanky and the carpathian plain chant classes, because the teacher of one wants to attend the other. I'll do the best I can with those kinds of requests. I will probably not post the "scehdule" until the last week or so, but a class list will be up as soon as I can get it on there.

        Oh, I suppose I should also say -- please mention if there is a materials fee, or if you need specific arrangments, like tables, or a space for dancing, or laying out clothing -- just let me know,

        Halla

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
          When I started looking at Russian as an object to study and to anatomize (my aunt comes from Odessa) I discovered a lot of curious things especially in the resemblance of meny word stems. Of course it did no wonder to me as Rus. is an indogermanic language same as Italian and English and Hindi or Singhalese and even Nepalese! The thing was that many meanings had changed since the expansion of the primitive I.G. in accordance with the location where the new derived language developed and for how long a time kept on transforming before turning into a Culture Language i.e. refering to a certain people and region.
          U would never think of the many features that make the IG languages a grand community. Think for instance of the numbers. Think of the basic body nomenclature etc.
          Would ever put on the same line REKA with REAL or READ? Perhaps more with RIVER or RIPUARIAN or RIVAL.
          Try and reconstruct the string urself.

          Ciao

          Aldo

          My opinion is: Would it be useful to do it? If u study languages for
          other purposes than speaking it, it is worth while...

          > Ciao
          >
          > Aldo

          Dear Aldo!
          You are absolutely right, when you study your native language in
          school, you never think (at least I never have) of how and why things
          are done or said. However, when you look at Language as Science, things
          are quite different and I have to admit, more interesting. A lot of
          questions come up. And "anatomy of your own language", like you've
          said, takes place. (;
          Thanks again for your input.

          Tatiana Moskovskaia.

        • ladyhallaofmugmort
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
            Aldo, I am sure we can find you local crash space if you need it, and
            a pick up from the local airport (Port Columbus).

            Halla