Re: [sig] Slavic University, January 10, 2009 Columbus Ohio

  • goldschp@tds.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
      What is the deadline for course proposals?

      ---- ladyhallaofmugmort <pooklaroux@...> wrote:
      > It's official! Our 12th Night Event is also a Slavic University! It
      > is being held at St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church parish
      > hall, in Columbus, Ohio, January 10, 2009.
      >
      > What kind of class will you teach for us?
      >
      > I have teachers lined up for Pysanky, Carpathian Plain Chant and
      > Ukrainian Embroidery and "Oh My Goth!". Just email me offlist with
      > your class proposals. I'd like classes at all levels of
      > interest/skill. I need some intro to Slavic Garb/Slavic History
      > classes, as well as intermediate and advanced topics.
      >
      > We are working it out for the Ladies Guild at church to do a lunch
      > counter featuring pirogies and sauerkraut. We want to do dinner as a
      > pot luck.
      >
      > Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can attend!
      >
      > Halla of Mugmort

    • gigglesheep
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

        My opinion is: Would it be useful to do it? If u study languages for
        other purposes than speaking it, it is worth while...

        > Ciao
        >
        > Aldo

        Dear Aldo!
        You are absolutely right, when you study your native language in
        school, you never think (at least I never have) of how and why things
        are done or said. However, when you look at Language as Science, things
        are quite different and I have to admit, more interesting. A lot of
        questions come up. And "anatomy of your own language", like you've
        said, takes place. (;
        Thanks again for your input.

        Tatiana Moskovskaia.
      • H
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
          When is the deadline for proposals for classes at the 12th Night Slavic University?

          Until I have no more time or space to fill in at the event. But that being said, the sooner you give me an idea that you want to do a class, the sooner I can block out space and time. I promised the autocrat I would post my classes as I get them so that it will create draw for the event. There should be a website up by the end of this week, and you should be able to look at it to see a list of the classes. I already have a request not to double schedule the pysanky and the carpathian plain chant classes, because the teacher of one wants to attend the other. I'll do the best I can with those kinds of requests. I will probably not post the "scehdule" until the last week or so, but a class list will be up as soon as I can get it on there.

          Oh, I suppose I should also say -- please mention if there is a materials fee, or if you need specific arrangments, like tables, or a space for dancing, or laying out clothing -- just let me know,

          Halla

          > What is the deadline for course proposals?
          >

          > ---- ladyhallaofmugmort <pooklaroux@...> wrote:
          >
          > > It's official! Our 12th Night Event is also a
          > Slavic University! It
          > > is being held at St. John Chrysostom Byzantine
          > Catholic Church parish
          > > hall, in Columbus, Ohio, January 10, 2009.
          > >
          > > What kind of class will you teach for us?
          > >
          > > I have teachers lined up for Pysanky, Carpathian Plain
          > Chant and
          > > Ukrainian Embroidery and "Oh My Goth!". Just
          > email me offlist with
          > > your class proposals. I'd like classes at all
          > levels of
          > > interest/skill. I need some intro to Slavic
          > Garb/Slavic History
          > > classes, as well as intermediate and advanced topics.
          >

          > > We are working it out for the Ladies Guild at church
          > to do a lunch
          > > counter featuring pirogies and sauerkraut. We want to
          > do dinner as a
          > > pot luck.
          > >
          > > Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can
          > attend!
          > >
          > > Halla of Mugmort

        • aldo
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
            When I started looking at Russian as an object to study and to anatomize (my aunt comes from Odessa) I discovered a lot of curious things especially in the resemblance of meny word stems. Of course it did no wonder to me as Rus. is an indogermanic language same as Italian and English and Hindi or Singhalese and even Nepalese! The thing was that many meanings had changed since the expansion of the primitive I.G. in accordance with the location where the new derived language developed and for how long a time kept on transforming before turning into a Culture Language i.e. refering to a certain people and region.
            U would never think of the many features that make the IG languages a grand community. Think for instance of the numbers. Think of the basic body nomenclature etc.
            Would ever put on the same line REKA with REAL or READ? Perhaps more with RIVER or RIPUARIAN or RIVAL.
            Try and reconstruct the string urself.

            Ciao

            Aldo

            My opinion is: Would it be useful to do it? If u study languages for
            other purposes than speaking it, it is worth while...

            > Ciao
            >
            > Aldo

            Dear Aldo!
            You are absolutely right, when you study your native language in
            school, you never think (at least I never have) of how and why things
            are done or said. However, when you look at Language as Science, things
            are quite different and I have to admit, more interesting. A lot of
            questions come up. And "anatomy of your own language", like you've
            said, takes place. (;
            Thanks again for your input.

            Tatiana Moskovskaia.

          • ladyhallaofmugmort
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
              Aldo, I am sure we can find you local crash space if you need it, and
              a pick up from the local airport (Port Columbus).

              Halla