Re: [sig] Re: Another question about names.

  • spmaiorca@cox.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 8, 2008
      ---- Tatiana Golter <dogspell@...> wrote:
      > "Vladesku" is a Romanian/Moldovian last name, derived from "Vlad", but last
      > name nevertheless. Patronimic form from "Vladimir" is "Vladimirovich". So
      > you'll have your first name - Nicodim (pronounced Neecodeem) then your
      > patronim - Vladimirovich, then you will still need the last name.
      > Please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
      hi,
      Vladimirovich would be a bad choice as my persona is Romanian.
      I'm hoping some one would corect me if I am wrong but Vladescu would be a last name formed from a Romanian patrinomic. however after seeing this guy's name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_Vladimirescu
      Tudor Vladimirescu was born in Vladimir, Gorj county Romania He is post period but the entomolgy of his name may help me decide wethr or no to use Vladescu. An alternitive name I have considered have been Flroescu.
      _Nicodem
    • aldo
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 9, 2008
        I forgot to add (this is a big error on my side and I apologize) that the special Russian I is the SOLE vowel to be transliterated as Y.
        Therefore the hard Nominative Masculine Singular desinence of most common adjectives will be transliterated as -YI and by the same token will be Plurals as -YE.
        Dear gigglesheep usually a languagespeaker has no time or interest to investigate the languages he uses and therefore it is not so "awesome" as u say not to have ever made an anatomy of ur own language. My opinion is: Would it be useful to do it? If u study languages for other purposes than speaking it, it is worth while...

        Ciao

        Aldo
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 9, 2008
          It's official! Our 12th Night Event is also a Slavic University! It
          is being held at St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church parish
          hall, in Columbus, Ohio, January 10, 2009.

          What kind of class will you teach for us?

          I have teachers lined up for Pysanky, Carpathian Plain Chant and
          Ukrainian Embroidery and "Oh My Goth!". Just email me offlist with
          your class proposals. I'd like classes at all levels of
          interest/skill. I need some intro to Slavic Garb/Slavic History
          classes, as well as intermediate and advanced topics.

          We are working it out for the Ladies Guild at church to do a lunch
          counter featuring pirogies and sauerkraut. We want to do dinner as a
          pot luck.

          Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can attend!

          Halla of Mugmort
        • Amy Tubbs
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 9, 2008
            My husband Ilia has i versus y pronunciation issues at tourneys. His name
            is often pronounced as <ill LEE uh> (leah?!?) instead of <eel YAH>.
            -- Vitasha

            On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM, aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

            > Dorogaia Tatiana, u Vas voznikaiut takie voprosy!!!
            > Actually in the respelling of Cyrillic in English the convention is that
            > the"palatalized" vowels add I to to the non-palatalized ones and not Y. Tho
            > I agree that in English I has sometimes ambiguous pronunciation issues.In
            > any case this has been consecrated at the Cambridge University since years..
            >
            > Do svidan'ia.
            >
            > Aldo

          • aldo
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
              Is there any place for one coming from Italy?
              Let me know.

              Aldo

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                In Russian is surely ILYAH and not ILEE-A.
                Aldo
                My husband Ilia has i versus y pronunciation issues at tourneys. His name
                is often pronounced as <ill LEE uh> (leah?!?) instead of <eel YAH>.
                -- Vitasha

                On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM, aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

                > Dorogaia Tatiana, u Vas voznikaiut takie voprosy!!!
                > Actually in the respelling of Cyrillic in English the convention is that
                > the"palatalized" vowels add I to to the non-palatalized ones and not Y. Tho
                > I agree that in English I has sometimes ambiguous pronunciation issues.In
                > any case this has been consecrated at the Cambridge University since years..
                >
                > Do svidan'ia.
                >
                > Aldo

              • Barbara
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                  My name is registered with an "i" but I spell it with a "j." I started
                  doing that because people wanted to say <tat EE ah na> rather than <tat YA
                  na>. I've had marginal success. ;-) It does manage to differentiate me
                  from other Tatiana's in the area though.

                  The one Ilya I know spells it with a "y." Most people pronounce it <ill
                  YAH> so it's half right. As I think of it, most Russians I know in the SCA
                  have their names mispronounced. Take Mikhail. <Mi KALE> or <mi KILE>. Or
                  Ivan. <EYE van> rather than <ee VAHN>

                  Mir vam,
                  Tatjana
                  (the one with the "j" )

                  "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

                  Wolf and Tiger Woodworking
                  http://www.wolfandtiger.com

                • goldschp@tds.net
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                    What is the deadline for course proposals?

                    ---- ladyhallaofmugmort <pooklaroux@...> wrote:
                    > It's official! Our 12th Night Event is also a Slavic University! It
                    > is being held at St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church parish
                    > hall, in Columbus, Ohio, January 10, 2009.
                    >
                    > What kind of class will you teach for us?
                    >
                    > I have teachers lined up for Pysanky, Carpathian Plain Chant and
                    > Ukrainian Embroidery and "Oh My Goth!". Just email me offlist with
                    > your class proposals. I'd like classes at all levels of
                    > interest/skill. I need some intro to Slavic Garb/Slavic History
                    > classes, as well as intermediate and advanced topics.
                    >
                    > We are working it out for the Ladies Guild at church to do a lunch
                    > counter featuring pirogies and sauerkraut. We want to do dinner as a
                    > pot luck.
                    >
                    > Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can attend!
                    >
                    > Halla of Mugmort

                  • gigglesheep
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

                      My opinion is: Would it be useful to do it? If u study languages for
                      other purposes than speaking it, it is worth while...

                      > Ciao
                      >
                      > Aldo

                      Dear Aldo!
                      You are absolutely right, when you study your native language in
                      school, you never think (at least I never have) of how and why things
                      are done or said. However, when you look at Language as Science, things
                      are quite different and I have to admit, more interesting. A lot of
                      questions come up. And "anatomy of your own language", like you've
                      said, takes place. (;
                      Thanks again for your input.

                      Tatiana Moskovskaia.
                    • H
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                        When is the deadline for proposals for classes at the 12th Night Slavic University?

                        Until I have no more time or space to fill in at the event. But that being said, the sooner you give me an idea that you want to do a class, the sooner I can block out space and time. I promised the autocrat I would post my classes as I get them so that it will create draw for the event. There should be a website up by the end of this week, and you should be able to look at it to see a list of the classes. I already have a request not to double schedule the pysanky and the carpathian plain chant classes, because the teacher of one wants to attend the other. I'll do the best I can with those kinds of requests. I will probably not post the "scehdule" until the last week or so, but a class list will be up as soon as I can get it on there.

                        Oh, I suppose I should also say -- please mention if there is a materials fee, or if you need specific arrangments, like tables, or a space for dancing, or laying out clothing -- just let me know,

                        Halla

                        > What is the deadline for course proposals?
                        >

                        > ---- ladyhallaofmugmort <pooklaroux@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > It's official! Our 12th Night Event is also a
                        > Slavic University! It
                        > > is being held at St. John Chrysostom Byzantine
                        > Catholic Church parish
                        > > hall, in Columbus, Ohio, January 10, 2009.
                        > >
                        > > What kind of class will you teach for us?
                        > >
                        > > I have teachers lined up for Pysanky, Carpathian Plain
                        > Chant and
                        > > Ukrainian Embroidery and "Oh My Goth!". Just
                        > email me offlist with
                        > > your class proposals. I'd like classes at all
                        > levels of
                        > > interest/skill. I need some intro to Slavic
                        > Garb/Slavic History
                        > > classes, as well as intermediate and advanced topics.
                        >

                        > > We are working it out for the Ladies Guild at church
                        > to do a lunch
                        > > counter featuring pirogies and sauerkraut. We want to
                        > do dinner as a
                        > > pot luck.
                        > >
                        > > Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can
                        > attend!
                        > >
                        > > Halla of Mugmort

                      • aldo
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                          When I started looking at Russian as an object to study and to anatomize (my aunt comes from Odessa) I discovered a lot of curious things especially in the resemblance of meny word stems. Of course it did no wonder to me as Rus. is an indogermanic language same as Italian and English and Hindi or Singhalese and even Nepalese! The thing was that many meanings had changed since the expansion of the primitive I.G. in accordance with the location where the new derived language developed and for how long a time kept on transforming before turning into a Culture Language i.e. refering to a certain people and region.
                          U would never think of the many features that make the IG languages a grand community. Think for instance of the numbers. Think of the basic body nomenclature etc.
                          Would ever put on the same line REKA with REAL or READ? Perhaps more with RIVER or RIPUARIAN or RIVAL.
                          Try and reconstruct the string urself.

                          Ciao

                          Aldo

                          My opinion is: Would it be useful to do it? If u study languages for
                          other purposes than speaking it, it is worth while...

                          > Ciao
                          >
                          > Aldo

                          Dear Aldo!
                          You are absolutely right, when you study your native language in
                          school, you never think (at least I never have) of how and why things
                          are done or said. However, when you look at Language as Science, things
                          are quite different and I have to admit, more interesting. A lot of
                          questions come up. And "anatomy of your own language", like you've
                          said, takes place. (;
                          Thanks again for your input.

                          Tatiana Moskovskaia.

                        • ladyhallaofmugmort
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                            Aldo, I am sure we can find you local crash space if you need it, and
                            a pick up from the local airport (Port Columbus).

                            Halla