Re: [sig] Another question about names.

  • spmaiorca@cox.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 7, 2008
      ---- gigglesheep <dogspell@...> wrote:
      > Hello all!
      > I am trying to register SCA last name "Moskovskaya", Now, my Heralrd
      > tells me that I can only register it spelled with "aia" and not with
      > "y". Being that I am actually Russian, it is kind of funny to hear it,
      > I know that it can be spelled both ways, but I don't actually have any
      > documentation proving it. Wikipedia mentions it spelled either way,
      > but I was told that it is not a reliable source.
      > How can I prove that I am right?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Tatiana

      hi,
      I prefer the y way my self though one could alos argue ja is corect as well
      so what is his rational?
      -Patrick aka Nicodem
    • gigglesheep
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 7, 2008
        Thank you so much!
        Now I'll show him (;!!

        Tatiana

      • spmaiorca@cox.net
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 7, 2008
          hi,
          I have not tried regestering my name yet- in part as I'm wondeirng what would be more correct and am needed to just show it in a period text.
          The name I want to use is Nicodem Vladescu I'm thinking escu would be a patrinomic however I ahve seen the name Vladimirescu and I am tryingto figure out which would be better for a Walachian circa 1460?
          -Nicodem
        • aldo
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 8, 2008
            Dorogaia Tatiana, u Vas voznikaiut takie voprosy!!!
            Actually in the respelling of Cyrillic in English the convention is that the"palatalized" vowels add I to to the non-palatalized ones and not Y. Tho I agree that in English I has sometimes ambiguous pronunciation issues.In any case this has been consecrated at the Cambridge University since years..

            Do svidan'ia.

            Aldo

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 8, 2008
              "Vladesku" is a Romanian/Moldovian last name, derived from "Vlad", but last
              name nevertheless. Patronimic form from "Vladimir" is "Vladimirovich". So
              you'll have your first name - Nicodim (pronounced Neecodeem) then your
              patronim - Vladimirovich, then you will still need the last name.
              Please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

              --
              If the only prayer you say in you life is "Thank you", that would suffice.

            • L.M. Kies
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 8, 2008
                Greetings from Sofya!

                I encountered the very same problem when I initially tried to register "Sofya" rather than "Sofia". I presume that inexperienced heralds pull out Wickenden and leap immediately to the list of names where he consistently uses the Library of Congress transliteration system (imagine how big the Dictionary would be if he'd tried to list all the possible transliterations!!!), and then assume that "his way" is the "only way" to express the "period spelling" of the names. They don't realize how critical it is to read Wickenden's introduction where he explains the transliteration problem.

                A small point further, Tatiana. Wickenden points out that when you register a name, you should stick to one transliteration system consistently. So if you want to register "Moskovskaya" you may have to register "Tatyana" to go with it. Once it's registered, you can write it however you like and it will still be protected. I like to use all three major transliteration systems when I write my (un-registered) full Russian name - Sofya Jakovleva Kliucheneva. ;-)

                At your service,

                Sofya
                P.S. OSCAR commentary on the revision of the Russian Alternate Titles List closed October 31st. A decision should come soon. *fingers crossed*

                Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
              • gigglesheep
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 8, 2008
                  Pardon my ignorance, but what are "palatalized" and so on vowels?

                  Also "Tatiana" happens to be my real name and it is obviously spelled
                  with "i". Sofya is probably right, I need to stick to either "i"
                  or "y" when spelling both names.

                  Thank you everybody for the input.

                  Tatiana

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

                  > Dorogaia Tatiana, u Vas voznikaiut takie voprosy!!!
                  > Actually in the respelling of Cyrillic in English the convention is
                  that the"palatalized" vowels add I to to the non-palatalized ones and
                  not Y. Tho I agree that in English I has sometimes ambiguous
                  pronunciation issues.In any case this has been consecrated at the
                  Cambridge University since years..

                  > Do svidan'ia.
                  >
                  > Aldo

                • aldo
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 8, 2008
                    E (as in HELL) is a pure vowel and YE (as in YELL) is "palatalized".
                    As u know in Russian you have following vowels:
                    А Э Ы О У

                    which are "pure" vowels and

                    Я Е И ё (this latter does not appear at the beginning of a word) Ю
                    which are the same as the first row but "palatalized"
                    while Ь is used to palatalize consonants and trasnliterated as '
                    finally Й is a semivowel appearing only in diphtongs.
                    The convention to transliteration are of above refers to Intern. Lingu. Society who indicate A E I (special U-I) O U for pure and YA YE YI YO YU for palatalized but Simon Franklin, Lecturer of Slavonic Studies at the Univ. of Cambridge (see WRITING, SOCIETY AND CULTURE IN EARKLY RUS, C. 950-1300, Cambridge 2002) recommends I instead of Y and to bneglect ' as in English it may cause some confusion in the students.

                    Ciao

                    Aldo

                    Pardon my ignorance, but what are "palatalized" and so on vowels?

                    Also "Tatiana" happens to be my real name and it is obviously spelled
                    with "i". Sofya is probably right, I need to stick to either "i"
                    or "y" when spelling both names.

                    Thank you everybody for the input.

                    Tatiana

                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

                    > Dorogaia Tatiana, u Vas voznikaiut takie voprosy!!!
                    > Actually in the respelling of Cyrillic in English the convention is
                    that the"palatalized" vowels add I to to the non-palatalized ones and
                    not Y. Tho I agree that in English I has sometimes ambiguous
                    pronunciation issues.In any case this has been consecrated at the
                    Cambridge University since years..

                    > Do svidan'ia.
                    >
                    > Aldo

                  • gigglesheep
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 8, 2008
                      Awesome!
                      Had no clue, quite ashamed, my own language! Where can I obtain some
                      literature on the subject?

                      Tat

                    • spmaiorca@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 8, 2008
                        ---- Tatiana Golter <dogspell@...> wrote:
                        > "Vladesku" is a Romanian/Moldovian last name, derived from "Vlad", but last
                        > name nevertheless. Patronimic form from "Vladimir" is "Vladimirovich". So
                        > you'll have your first name - Nicodim (pronounced Neecodeem) then your
                        > patronim - Vladimirovich, then you will still need the last name.
                        > Please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
                        hi,
                        Vladimirovich would be a bad choice as my persona is Romanian.
                        I'm hoping some one would corect me if I am wrong but Vladescu would be a last name formed from a Romanian patrinomic. however after seeing this guy's name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_Vladimirescu
                        Tudor Vladimirescu was born in Vladimir, Gorj county Romania He is post period but the entomolgy of his name may help me decide wethr or no to use Vladescu. An alternitive name I have considered have been Flroescu.
                        _Nicodem
                      • aldo
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2008
                          I forgot to add (this is a big error on my side and I apologize) that the special Russian I is the SOLE vowel to be transliterated as Y.
                          Therefore the hard Nominative Masculine Singular desinence of most common adjectives will be transliterated as -YI and by the same token will be Plurals as -YE.
                          Dear gigglesheep usually a languagespeaker has no time or interest to investigate the languages he uses and therefore it is not so "awesome" as u say not to have ever made an anatomy of ur own language. My opinion is: Would it be useful to do it? If u study languages for other purposes than speaking it, it is worth while...

                          Ciao

                          Aldo

                          Pardon my ignorance, but what are "palatalized" and so on vowels?

                          Also "Tatiana" happens to be my real name and it is obviously spelled
                          with "i". Sofya is probably right, I need to stick to either "i"
                          or "y" when spelling both names.

                          Thank you everybody for the input.

                          Tatiana

                          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

                          > Dorogaia Tatiana, u Vas voznikaiut takie voprosy!!!
                          > Actually in the respelling of Cyrillic in English the convention is
                          that the"palatalized" vowels add I to to the non-palatalized ones and
                          not Y. Tho I agree that in English I has sometimes ambiguous
                          pronunciation issues.In any case this has been consecrated at the
                          Cambridge University since years..

                          > Do svidan'ia.
                          >
                          > Aldo

                        • ladyhallaofmugmort
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2008
                            It's official! Our 12th Night Event is also a Slavic University! It
                            is being held at St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church parish
                            hall, in Columbus, Ohio, January 10, 2009.

                            What kind of class will you teach for us?

                            I have teachers lined up for Pysanky, Carpathian Plain Chant and
                            Ukrainian Embroidery and "Oh My Goth!". Just email me offlist with
                            your class proposals. I'd like classes at all levels of
                            interest/skill. I need some intro to Slavic Garb/Slavic History
                            classes, as well as intermediate and advanced topics.

                            We are working it out for the Ladies Guild at church to do a lunch
                            counter featuring pirogies and sauerkraut. We want to do dinner as a
                            pot luck.

                            Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can attend!

                            Halla of Mugmort
                          • Amy Tubbs
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2008
                              My husband Ilia has i versus y pronunciation issues at tourneys. His name
                              is often pronounced as <ill LEE uh> (leah?!?) instead of <eel YAH>.
                              -- Vitasha

                              On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM, aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

                              > Dorogaia Tatiana, u Vas voznikaiut takie voprosy!!!
                              > Actually in the respelling of Cyrillic in English the convention is that
                              > the"palatalized" vowels add I to to the non-palatalized ones and not Y. Tho
                              > I agree that in English I has sometimes ambiguous pronunciation issues.In
                              > any case this has been consecrated at the Cambridge University since years..
                              >
                              > Do svidan'ia.
                              >
                              > Aldo

                            • aldo
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                                Is there any place for one coming from Italy?
                                Let me know.

                                Aldo

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                                  In Russian is surely ILYAH and not ILEE-A.
                                  Aldo
                                  My husband Ilia has i versus y pronunciation issues at tourneys. His name
                                  is often pronounced as <ill LEE uh> (leah?!?) instead of <eel YAH>.
                                  -- Vitasha

                                  On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM, aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

                                  > Dorogaia Tatiana, u Vas voznikaiut takie voprosy!!!
                                  > Actually in the respelling of Cyrillic in English the convention is that
                                  > the"palatalized" vowels add I to to the non-palatalized ones and not Y. Tho
                                  > I agree that in English I has sometimes ambiguous pronunciation issues.In
                                  > any case this has been consecrated at the Cambridge University since years..
                                  >
                                  > Do svidan'ia.
                                  >
                                  > Aldo

                                • Barbara
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                                    My name is registered with an "i" but I spell it with a "j." I started
                                    doing that because people wanted to say <tat EE ah na> rather than <tat YA
                                    na>. I've had marginal success. ;-) It does manage to differentiate me
                                    from other Tatiana's in the area though.

                                    The one Ilya I know spells it with a "y." Most people pronounce it <ill
                                    YAH> so it's half right. As I think of it, most Russians I know in the SCA
                                    have their names mispronounced. Take Mikhail. <Mi KALE> or <mi KILE>. Or
                                    Ivan. <EYE van> rather than <ee VAHN>

                                    Mir vam,
                                    Tatjana
                                    (the one with the "j" )

                                    "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

                                    Wolf and Tiger Woodworking
                                    http://www.wolfandtiger.com

                                  • goldschp@tds.net
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                                      What is the deadline for course proposals?

                                      ---- ladyhallaofmugmort <pooklaroux@...> wrote:
                                      > It's official! Our 12th Night Event is also a Slavic University! It
                                      > is being held at St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church parish
                                      > hall, in Columbus, Ohio, January 10, 2009.
                                      >
                                      > What kind of class will you teach for us?
                                      >
                                      > I have teachers lined up for Pysanky, Carpathian Plain Chant and
                                      > Ukrainian Embroidery and "Oh My Goth!". Just email me offlist with
                                      > your class proposals. I'd like classes at all levels of
                                      > interest/skill. I need some intro to Slavic Garb/Slavic History
                                      > classes, as well as intermediate and advanced topics.
                                      >
                                      > We are working it out for the Ladies Guild at church to do a lunch
                                      > counter featuring pirogies and sauerkraut. We want to do dinner as a
                                      > pot luck.
                                      >
                                      > Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can attend!
                                      >
                                      > Halla of Mugmort

                                    • gigglesheep
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                                        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

                                        My opinion is: Would it be useful to do it? If u study languages for
                                        other purposes than speaking it, it is worth while...

                                        > Ciao
                                        >
                                        > Aldo

                                        Dear Aldo!
                                        You are absolutely right, when you study your native language in
                                        school, you never think (at least I never have) of how and why things
                                        are done or said. However, when you look at Language as Science, things
                                        are quite different and I have to admit, more interesting. A lot of
                                        questions come up. And "anatomy of your own language", like you've
                                        said, takes place. (;
                                        Thanks again for your input.

                                        Tatiana Moskovskaia.
                                      • H
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                                          When is the deadline for proposals for classes at the 12th Night Slavic University?

                                          Until I have no more time or space to fill in at the event. But that being said, the sooner you give me an idea that you want to do a class, the sooner I can block out space and time. I promised the autocrat I would post my classes as I get them so that it will create draw for the event. There should be a website up by the end of this week, and you should be able to look at it to see a list of the classes. I already have a request not to double schedule the pysanky and the carpathian plain chant classes, because the teacher of one wants to attend the other. I'll do the best I can with those kinds of requests. I will probably not post the "scehdule" until the last week or so, but a class list will be up as soon as I can get it on there.

                                          Oh, I suppose I should also say -- please mention if there is a materials fee, or if you need specific arrangments, like tables, or a space for dancing, or laying out clothing -- just let me know,

                                          Halla

                                          > What is the deadline for course proposals?
                                          >

                                          > ---- ladyhallaofmugmort <pooklaroux@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > It's official! Our 12th Night Event is also a
                                          > Slavic University! It
                                          > > is being held at St. John Chrysostom Byzantine
                                          > Catholic Church parish
                                          > > hall, in Columbus, Ohio, January 10, 2009.
                                          > >
                                          > > What kind of class will you teach for us?
                                          > >
                                          > > I have teachers lined up for Pysanky, Carpathian Plain
                                          > Chant and
                                          > > Ukrainian Embroidery and "Oh My Goth!". Just
                                          > email me offlist with
                                          > > your class proposals. I'd like classes at all
                                          > levels of
                                          > > interest/skill. I need some intro to Slavic
                                          > Garb/Slavic History
                                          > > classes, as well as intermediate and advanced topics.
                                          >

                                          > > We are working it out for the Ladies Guild at church
                                          > to do a lunch
                                          > > counter featuring pirogies and sauerkraut. We want to
                                          > do dinner as a
                                          > > pot luck.
                                          > >
                                          > > Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can
                                          > attend!
                                          > >
                                          > > Halla of Mugmort

                                        • aldo
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                                            When I started looking at Russian as an object to study and to anatomize (my aunt comes from Odessa) I discovered a lot of curious things especially in the resemblance of meny word stems. Of course it did no wonder to me as Rus. is an indogermanic language same as Italian and English and Hindi or Singhalese and even Nepalese! The thing was that many meanings had changed since the expansion of the primitive I.G. in accordance with the location where the new derived language developed and for how long a time kept on transforming before turning into a Culture Language i.e. refering to a certain people and region.
                                            U would never think of the many features that make the IG languages a grand community. Think for instance of the numbers. Think of the basic body nomenclature etc.
                                            Would ever put on the same line REKA with REAL or READ? Perhaps more with RIVER or RIPUARIAN or RIVAL.
                                            Try and reconstruct the string urself.

                                            Ciao

                                            Aldo

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 10, 2008
                                              Aldo, I am sure we can find you local crash space if you need it, and
                                              a pick up from the local airport (Port Columbus).

                                              Halla