Re: new member with questions

  • Howard Major, Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
      Greetings,Gospodinya Sofya,
      My thanks for your help. I have a spangenhelm that will probably
      "do" but I'm looking for one with the taller point. So my
      center-opening tunics are acceptable, too. Great!
      Alexi Petrovich

      Greetings from Sofya to Alexei Petrovich.

      I have documentation for the left-slanted collar to the 12th century,
      although it is supposedly much less common than shirts that
      open center-front. So, in my opinion, it would be acceptible but a
      bit unusual for the 10th-centuries.

      Spangenhelm are common, inexpensive, and reasonably similar to some
      medieval Russian helms.

      At your service,
      Sofya
    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
        Spangenhelm is exactly what I saw in some 1100s byzantine images of
        rus soldiers. However, without the nasel.... you can saw that puppy
        right off and file it down. nasel may be OK as well... but its kind
        of a viking look.
        Same is true for Poland, For some reason, I think there is more use
        of the nasel in poland but don't quote me on that. you also have
        similiar shaped helms in one piece. These are also available on the
        market at reasonable prices.
        Some byzantine and other Spangenhelm are a little pointy, some not.