new member with questions

  • Howard Major, Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2008
      Thank you for letting me join. My persona is Viking, but
      one who has traveled thru Kievan territory.
      While my basic Norse gear will do for a start, I'd like to
      "upgrade" my kit to shoe Slavic influence. I'd appreciate input
      on the following questions:
      1) The Russian shirt with the neck vent offset to the left-
      How far back does it go? Is it acceptable for the 10th & 11th
      centuries? I'd like to know before I make another one (the one
      I have is too modern- it has button cuffs).
      2) Where can I get an inexpensive Russian/Great Polish type helm?
      I don't want the SCA face grill, just the headpiece- I can add my own
      lining, chinstrap & mail neckguard.

      Sincere thanks,
      Howard/Hereward/Alexei Petrovich
    • L.M. Kies
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
        Greetings from Sofya to Alexei Petrovich.

        >1) The Russian shirt with the neck vent offset to the left-
        >How far back does it go? Is it acceptable for the 10th & 11th
        >centuries?

        I have documentation for the left-slanted collar to the 12th century, although it is supposedly much less common than shirts that
        open center-front. I know of no drastic cultural change in Rus to indicate that the shirt with the offset collar would have been
        a 12th century innovation. So, in my opinion, it would be acceptible but a bit unusual for the 10th-centuries.

        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KMC1.html

        >2) Where can I get an inexpensive Russian/Great Polish type helm?

        Spangenhelm are common, inexpensive, and reasonably similar to some medieval Russian helms.
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Armor/armordef.html#head

        At your service,

        Sofya

        Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
          Greetings,Gospodinya Sofya,
          My thanks for your help. I have a spangenhelm that will probably
          "do" but I'm looking for one with the taller point. So my
          center-opening tunics are acceptable, too. Great!
          Alexi Petrovich

          Greetings from Sofya to Alexei Petrovich.

          I have documentation for the left-slanted collar to the 12th century,
          although it is supposedly much less common than shirts that
          open center-front. So, in my opinion, it would be acceptible but a
          bit unusual for the 10th-centuries.

          Spangenhelm are common, inexpensive, and reasonably similar to some
          medieval Russian helms.

          At your service,
          Sofya
        • Rick Orli
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
            Spangenhelm is exactly what I saw in some 1100s byzantine images of
            rus soldiers. However, without the nasel.... you can saw that puppy
            right off and file it down. nasel may be OK as well... but its kind
            of a viking look.
            Same is true for Poland, For some reason, I think there is more use
            of the nasel in poland but don't quote me on that. you also have
            similiar shaped helms in one piece. These are also available on the
            market at reasonable prices.
            Some byzantine and other Spangenhelm are a little pointy, some not.