Re: Russian headdresses

  • Joe & Lisa Stevenson
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 10 7:05 AM
      In the files portion of the SIG list, there is a broken link for
      Russuan headdresses, but I think that y'all have provided me with all
      the information I need. I am familiar with your webpage, Sofya, and
      have it bookmarked. I am trying for a 13th-14th century persona. I
      know that I have to pin it down a little but essentially it comes
      down to which headgear I like best. I am a visual person and needed
      some pictures as I was having difficulty in visualizing some of the
      descriptions I had found. I think that what I am going to end up with
      is a soft head wrap with the embroidery for day wear and make a
      kokoshniki for more formal requirements. I have gotten the basic garb
      down and now need to get going on the embroidery and such.

      I have my local State library digging up some books that were on your
      list of references. I know two of them are in the University of
      Missouri library. I already had my daughter (she is a sophomore
      there) check one of them out, but I didn't copy enough of the text so
      that I could translate it (thank goodness for the free on-line
      translation programs!) so I need it again.

      I see that Sofya taught classes at this last Gulf Wars.
      Unfortunately, I missed a good portion of the war due to mundane work
      requirements. HOWEVER, I should make the whole war this time around.
      If any of you happen by the Green Dragon, my husband and I are two of
      the proprieters and you can usually find me behind the bar. Please
      come and see me!

      Looking forward to more of what you can teach me! Thanks so much.

      Katerina

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

      > Greetings from Sofya to Katarina!
      >
      > >I was interested in seeing the pictures of the Russian head
      dresses,
      > >but the link is apparently old. Does anyone have a current link to
      the
      > >site? Or pictures of what was there?
      >
      > What link/site? What pictures?
      >
      > I'll help if I can.
      > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kokoshniki.html
      >
      > sofya

      ------
      > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa
      Kramolnikova

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 10 8:02 AM
        What a hoot! That was Sofya and I teaching, though she s a much better teacher than I am. I've actually seen you at your fine establishment. It was an easy stumble from my Kingdom's camp!

        Best Regards,
        'dok

        In the files portion of the SIG list, there is a broken link for
        Russuan headdresses, but I think that y'all have provided me with all
        the information I need. I am familiar with your webpage, Sofya, and
        have it bookmarked. I am trying for a 13th-14th century persona. I
        know that I have to pin it down a little but essentially it comes
        down to which headgear I like best. I am a visual person and needed
        some pictures as I was having difficulty in visualizing some of the
        descriptions I had found. I think that what I am going to end up with
        is a soft head wrap with the embroidery for day wear and make a
        kokoshniki for more formal requirements. I have gotten the basic garb
        down and now need to get going on the embroidery and such.

        I have my local State library digging up some books that were on your
        list of references. I know two of them are in the University of
        Missouri library. I already had my daughter (she is a sophomore
        there) check one of them out, but I didn't copy enough of the text so
        that I could translate it (thank goodness for the free on-line
        translation programs!) so I need it again.

        I see that Sofya taught classes at this last Gulf Wars.
        Unfortunately, I missed a good portion of the war due to mundane work
        requirements. HOWEVER, I should make the whole war this time around.
        If any of you happen by the Green Dragon, my husband and I are two of
        the proprieters and you can usually find me behind the bar. Please
        come and see me!

        Looking forward to more of what you can teach me! Thanks so much.

        Katerina

        --- In sig@yahoogroups. com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

        > Greetings from Sofya to Katarina!
        >
        > >I was interested in seeing the pictures of the Russian head
        dresses,
        > >but the link is apparently old. Does anyone have a current link to
        the
        > >site? Or pictures of what was there?
        >
        > What link/site? What pictures?
        >
        > I'll help if I can.
        > http://www.strangel ove.net/~ kieser/Russia/ kokoshniki. html
        >
        > sofya

        ------
        > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa
        Kramolnikova
        > http://www.strangel ove.net/~ kieser
        -------

      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 10 6:24 PM
          Greetings from Sofya!

          >In the files portion of the SIG list, there is a broken link for
          >Russuan headdresses...

          I finally found it. It's actually under the Links of the SIG Yahoo! group.

          It's about traditional Siberian Russian headdresses, not medieval headdresses, although there are undoubtedly a lot of parallels. I designed my favorite povoinik pattern from that site. Here it is on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (The place to go to find defunct webpages.)

          http://web.archive.org/web/20080107072755/http://www.ic.omskreg.ru/~folklore/mk/golovn/index_.shtml

          At your service,

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 11 6:35 AM
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

            > Greetings from Sofya!
            >

            > >In the files portion of the SIG list, there is a broken link for
            You guys are the bomb! Thanks so much. I will digest what I have
            learned and come up with a game plan. Probably will be back with
            questions, but right now have to put this aside to work on helping to
            move my daughter into her first real apartment now that she has her
            first real job since graduating from college which also means I will
            be getting a designated sewing room, more room in my living room (seh
            will be taking a few pieces that I am tired of!) and a new dresser!
            Yeah.

            Katerina

            > >Russuan headdresses...
            >
            > I finally found it. It's actually under the Links of the SIG
            Yahoo! group.

            > It's about traditional Siberian Russian headdresses, not medieval
            headdresses, although there are undoubtedly a lot of parallels. I
            designed my favorite povoinik pattern from that site. Here it is on
            the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (The place to go to find defunct
            webpages.)

            http://web.archive.org/web/20080107072755/http://www.ic.omskreg.ru/~fo
            lklore/mk/golovn/index_.shtml

            > At your service,
            >
            > Sofya

            ------
            > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa
            Kramolnikova
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser

          • Amy Tubbs
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 12 6:09 PM
              Hehe...didn't think you'd be interested in it, but I just uploaded it for
              your viewing pleasure (Pill Box Style Hat by Vitasha). I know that some
              things are done incorrectly (thanks for your helpful hints at correcting my
              errors, Mistress Liumila!), but it was my first attempt at a real hat.

              -- Vitasha.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 13 5:58 AM
                VERY nice....

                --Sfandra