Russian headdresses

  • Joe & Lisa Stevenson
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
      I was interested in seeing the pictures of the Russian head dresses,
      but the link is apparently old. Does anyone have a current link to the
      site? Or pictures of what was there?

      Katerina
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
        Pls google Sofya la Rus or put a feeler out to Mistress Luidmilla in Caid. They are both very active in SIG! And very, very approachable!!

        Best Regards,
        'dok

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
          Greetings from Sofya to Katarina!

          >I was interested in seeing the pictures of the Russian head dresses,
          >but the link is apparently old. Does anyone have a current link to the
          >site? Or pictures of what was there?

          What link/site? What pictures?

          I'll help if I can.
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kokoshniki.html

          sofya

          Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        • Amy Tubbs
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
            Here is the address to Mistress Liudmila's Novgorod Kokoshnik page. Copy
            and paste it into your web browser.
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Liudmila.SCA/TheMakingOfANovgorodKokoshnik#

            Also, I will send you pictures of the one I recently did.

            -- Vitasha

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2008
              --- Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

              > Also, I will send you pictures of the one I recently
              > did.
              >
              > -- Vitasha

              You mean, you'll share with All of Us the pictures of
              the one you recently did, right? Right? *eager to
              see headwear goodness*

              Cheers,
              Sfandra

              ******************
              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
              Haus Von Drakenklaue
              Kingdom of the East
              ******************
              Never 'pearl' your butt.
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10, 2008
                Me too! Me too! I'm working on one for my Lady as well, though its more of a venets than a kokshnik.

                Best Regards,
                'dok

                ************ ******

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2008
                  In the files portion of the SIG list, there is a broken link for
                  Russuan headdresses, but I think that y'all have provided me with all
                  the information I need. I am familiar with your webpage, Sofya, and
                  have it bookmarked. I am trying for a 13th-14th century persona. I
                  know that I have to pin it down a little but essentially it comes
                  down to which headgear I like best. I am a visual person and needed
                  some pictures as I was having difficulty in visualizing some of the
                  descriptions I had found. I think that what I am going to end up with
                  is a soft head wrap with the embroidery for day wear and make a
                  kokoshniki for more formal requirements. I have gotten the basic garb
                  down and now need to get going on the embroidery and such.

                  I have my local State library digging up some books that were on your
                  list of references. I know two of them are in the University of
                  Missouri library. I already had my daughter (she is a sophomore
                  there) check one of them out, but I didn't copy enough of the text so
                  that I could translate it (thank goodness for the free on-line
                  translation programs!) so I need it again.

                  I see that Sofya taught classes at this last Gulf Wars.
                  Unfortunately, I missed a good portion of the war due to mundane work
                  requirements. HOWEVER, I should make the whole war this time around.
                  If any of you happen by the Green Dragon, my husband and I are two of
                  the proprieters and you can usually find me behind the bar. Please
                  come and see me!

                  Looking forward to more of what you can teach me! Thanks so much.

                  Katerina

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2008
                    What a hoot! That was Sofya and I teaching, though she s a much better teacher than I am. I've actually seen you at your fine establishment. It was an easy stumble from my Kingdom's camp!

                    Best Regards,
                    'dok

                    In the files portion of the SIG list, there is a broken link for
                    Russuan headdresses, but I think that y'all have provided me with all
                    the information I need. I am familiar with your webpage, Sofya, and
                    have it bookmarked. I am trying for a 13th-14th century persona. I
                    know that I have to pin it down a little but essentially it comes
                    down to which headgear I like best. I am a visual person and needed
                    some pictures as I was having difficulty in visualizing some of the
                    descriptions I had found. I think that what I am going to end up with
                    is a soft head wrap with the embroidery for day wear and make a
                    kokoshniki for more formal requirements. I have gotten the basic garb
                    down and now need to get going on the embroidery and such.

                    I have my local State library digging up some books that were on your
                    list of references. I know two of them are in the University of
                    Missouri library. I already had my daughter (she is a sophomore
                    there) check one of them out, but I didn't copy enough of the text so
                    that I could translate it (thank goodness for the free on-line
                    translation programs!) so I need it again.

                    I see that Sofya taught classes at this last Gulf Wars.
                    Unfortunately, I missed a good portion of the war due to mundane work
                    requirements. HOWEVER, I should make the whole war this time around.
                    If any of you happen by the Green Dragon, my husband and I are two of
                    the proprieters and you can usually find me behind the bar. Please
                    come and see me!

                    Looking forward to more of what you can teach me! Thanks so much.

                    Katerina

                    --- In sig@yahoogroups. com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings from Sofya to Katarina!
                    >
                    > >I was interested in seeing the pictures of the Russian head
                    dresses,
                    > >but the link is apparently old. Does anyone have a current link to
                    the
                    > >site? Or pictures of what was there?
                    >
                    > What link/site? What pictures?
                    >
                    > I'll help if I can.
                    > http://www.strangel ove.net/~ kieser/Russia/ kokoshniki. html
                    >
                    > sofya

                    ------
                    > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka HL Sofya la Rus, CW, CSH, uchenitsa
                    Kramolnikova
                    > http://www.strangel ove.net/~ kieser
                    -------

                  • L.M. Kies
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 10, 2008
                      Greetings from Sofya!

                      >In the files portion of the SIG list, there is a broken link for
                      >Russuan headdresses...

                      I finally found it. It's actually under the Links of the SIG Yahoo! group.

                      It's about traditional Siberian Russian headdresses, not medieval headdresses, although there are undoubtedly a lot of parallels. I designed my favorite povoinik pattern from that site. Here it is on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (The place to go to find defunct webpages.)

                      http://web.archive.org/web/20080107072755/http://www.ic.omskreg.ru/~folklore/mk/golovn/index_.shtml

                      At your service,

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 11, 2008
                        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings from Sofya!
                        >

                        > >In the files portion of the SIG list, there is a broken link for
                        You guys are the bomb! Thanks so much. I will digest what I have
                        learned and come up with a game plan. Probably will be back with
                        questions, but right now have to put this aside to work on helping to
                        move my daughter into her first real apartment now that she has her
                        first real job since graduating from college which also means I will
                        be getting a designated sewing room, more room in my living room (seh
                        will be taking a few pieces that I am tired of!) and a new dresser!
                        Yeah.

                        Katerina

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 12, 2008
                          Hehe...didn't think you'd be interested in it, but I just uploaded it for
                          your viewing pleasure (Pill Box Style Hat by Vitasha). I know that some
                          things are done incorrectly (thanks for your helpful hints at correcting my
                          errors, Mistress Liumila!), but it was my first attempt at a real hat.

                          -- Vitasha.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 13, 2008
                            VERY nice....

                            --Sfandra