Russian Armor dealers for SCA heavy weapons

  • Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 15, 2008
      Good day to the most esteemed group,
      Im looking for dealers who might happen to sell SCA heavy weapons
      legal Russian helmets and the sort. Was curious if anyone know of any
      and possible websites so I can see the prices. I've been looking but
      havent really found any since most of our society is still western
      europe based, (lets keep the tide rolling!). Any help would be greatly
      appreciated!

      Yours in most humble service,
      Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
      Company of St Augustine
    • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 15, 2008
        My personal favs...

        You can custom order Rus helmets from WindroseArmoury.com (my hubby and I
        both have them) and we've been getting our stainless lamellar from
        www.polarbearforge.com

        Ianuk

        On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov <
        ckchastain@...> wrote:

        > Good day to the most esteemed group,
        > Im looking for dealers who might happen to sell SCA heavy weapons
        > legal Russian helmets and the sort. Was curious if anyone know of any
        > and possible websites so I can see the prices. I've been looking but
        > havent really found any since most of our society is still western
        > europe based, (lets keep the tide rolling!). Any help would be greatly
        > appreciated!
        >
        > Yours in most humble service,
        > Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
        > Company of St Augustine

      • Robert Lewis
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 15, 2008
          Oddly enough I saw a really nice example of a Rus helmet they made at
          Pennsic 35, what makes it odd is that I only live a couple of miles from
          their newer shop here in Arizona. If I ever get off my butt and get back
          into hard suit, they are who I am probably going to get a new helmet from.
          Probably 12-13 years ago I bought a rather nicely built Zertsalo from Silk
          Roads Designs, don't know for sure if Nahum is still making armor or not,
          but his most current webpage is
          http://www.geocities.com/normanjfin/silkroad/#norman but the most recent
          armor related page looks to have not been updated in 5 years.

          Ivan Kosinski
          College of Brymstonne
          Atenveldt

          MKA Rob Lewis
          Rob Lewis

        • John Staeck
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 15, 2008
            I recommend looking at Knotwolf Armory in Kansas.  Richard has always been up for new designs and he makes top notch mild steel helmets.  I have a Kipchaq helmet from him that still gets compliments from folks whenever I haul it out, and it is a fine piece of armor in addition to looking spiff.

            Best of luck - Janos

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 15, 2008
              I would recommend Master Sir Donngal of Windrose Armoury eastern european
              armour is his speciality. You can probably find many examples of his work on
              the Armour Archive.

              http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/

              Yours Humbly
              Kazimir Konstantinov

              --
              Robert Jimmerson

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 16, 2008
                Windrose does beautiful work at a price that is appropriate for that level work. It'll cost you but their prompt and their stuff lasts the beating of time. If thats Sir Donnegal in Atenveldt then Pan Zigmund would also be a good reference for his quality of work. He has two of his helmets and is working up to getting a segmented Polish breastplate!

                Best Regards,
                'dok

                --
                Robert Jimmerson

              • christopher chastain
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 16, 2008
                  I appreciate all the assistance. Ill have to wait for tax returns time to do this just wanted a good place to start looking and designing what I would like. Yours in Humble Service,Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov "Sis pacis instruo pro bellum!"

                  To: sig@yahoogroups.comFrom: mordakus@...: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 05:08:29 -0700Subject: Re: [sig] Russian Armor dealers for SCA heavy weapons

                  Windrose does beautiful work at a price that is appropriate for that level work. It'll cost you but their prompt and their stuff lasts the beating of time. If thats Sir Donnegal in Atenveldt then Pan Zigmund would also be a good reference for his quality of work. He has two of his helmets and is working up to getting a segmented Polish breastplate!Best Regards,'dok"Dreams are only the realities of yesterday waiting to happen"--- On Mon, 9/15/08, Robert Jimmerson <robjimmerson@...> wrote:From: Robert Jimmerson <robjimmerson@...>Subject: Re: [sig] Russian Armor dealers for SCA heavy weaponsTo: sig@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, September 15, 2008, 11:48 PMI would recommend Master Sir Donngal of Windrose Armoury eastern europeanarmour is his speciality. You can probably find many examples of his work onthe Armour Archive.http://www.windrose armoury.com/ zc/Yours HumblyKazimir KonstantinovOn Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov <ckchastain@hotmail. com> wrote:> Good day to the most esteemed group,> Im looking for dealers who might happen to sell SCA heavy weapons> legal Russian helmets and the sort. Was curious if anyone know of any> and possible websites so I can see the prices. I've been looking but> havent really found any since most of our society is still western> europe based, (lets keep the tide rolling!). Any help would be greatly> appreciated!>> Yours in most humble service,> Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov> Company of St Augustine>> >-- Robert Jimmerson[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                • Mike Anderson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 17, 2008
                    I purchased my helm from an ebay dealer.  If I remember right it was called Arms Street Way.  They are out of the Ukrain.  They do great work for really cheap even with the shipping.  You just have to tell them it has to SCA legal because what they usally have pictured is not.

                    Timoshka

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 18, 2008
                      Greetings Timoshka,

                      Do you have anymore information on this seller from the Ukrain? I've
                      been searching for a SCA Legal Russian helm for ages and have had no
                      luck, well unless you are willing to pay huge amounts of $$$ for it.
                      Also can you post a pic of yours onto the group yahoo list or maybe
                      just send me a copy to dimitriib@... thanks.

                      Hard to find anything Russian over here in Australia :)
                      Thanks
                      Dimitrii Borodinskii
                      (Aka Mat D)

                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Mike Anderson <mykanderson@...> wrote:

                      > I purchased my helm from an ebay dealer.  If I remember right it
                      was called Arms Street Way.  They are out of the Ukrain.  They
                      do great work for really cheap even with the shipping.  You just have
                      to tell them it has to SCA legal because what they usally have
                      pictured is not.

                      > Timoshka

                    • Amy Tubbs
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 22, 2008
                        My husband Ilia Aleksandrovich wanted to post some links to this thread:

                        http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/

                        Here are a couple of pictures of some of the Rus work he has done

                        http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81617&highlight=yaroslav

                        -- Vitasha

                        ckchastain@...> wrote:

                        > Good day to the most esteemed group,
                        > Im looking for dealers who might happen to sell SCA heavy weapons
                        > legal Russian helmets and the sort. Was curious if anyone know of any
                        > and possible websites so I can see the prices. I've been looking but
                        > havent really found any since most of our society is still western
                        > europe based, (lets keep the tide rolling!). Any help would be greatly
                        > appreciated!
                        >
                        > Yours in most humble service,
                        > Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
                        > Company of St Augustine

                      • christopher chastain
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 23, 2008
                          Mi'Lady,
                          Please tell your husband that is some beautiful work! Im waiting on my tax returns before I decide and purchase a helmet but im definately looking for something nice like that. Is he strictly commision based? I spoke with Mike at Armstreet and he said they would make their helmets SCA legal for a few bucks more, but I'd prefer to keep my money in the society if at all possible. They make a helmet similar to what your husband made but not with as much fancy work. Yours in Humble Service,Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov"Only a hand that can grasp a sword may hold a sceptre!" Tatar Proverb

                          To: sig@yahoogroups.comFrom: ivanova.doch@...: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:57:44 -0700Subject: Re: [sig] Russian Armor dealers for SCA heavy weapons

                          My husband Ilia Aleksandrovich wanted to post some links to this thread:http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/Here are a couple of pictures of some of the Rus work he has donehttp://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81617&highlight=yaroslav-- VitashaOn Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov <ckchastain@...> wrote:> Good day to the most esteemed group,> Im looking for dealers who might happen to sell SCA heavy weapons> legal Russian helmets and the sort. Was curious if anyone know of any> and possible websites so I can see the prices. I've been looking but> havent really found any since most of our society is still western> europe based, (lets keep the tide rolling!). Any help would be greatly> appreciated!>> Yours in most humble service,> Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov> Company of St Augustine>> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                        • Amy Tubbs
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 23, 2008
                            Sorry for the misunderstanding. My husband is not the one who made the
                            work. He is the one that drooled all over that link. ;-)

                            He just wanted me to share so that he wouldn't be the only one drooling.

                            On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:41 AM, christopher chastain <
                            ckchastain@...> wrote:

                            > Mi'Lady,
                            > Please tell your husband that is some beautiful work! Im waiting on my tax
                            > returns before I decide and purchase a helmet but im definately looking for
                            > something nice like that. Is he strictly commision based? I spoke with Mike
                            > at Armstreet and he said they would make their helmets SCA legal for a few
                            > bucks more, but I'd prefer to keep my money in the society if at all
                            > possible. They make a helmet similar to what your husband made but not with
                            > as much fancy work. Yours in Humble Service,Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov"Only a
                            > hand that can grasp a sword may hold a sceptre!" Tatar Proverb
                            >
                            > To: sig@yahoogroups.comFrom <sig%40yahoogroups.comFrom>:
                            > ivanova.doch@... <ivanova.doch%40gmail.comDate>: Mon, 22 Sep
                            > 2008 19:57:44 -0700Subject: Re: [sig] Russian Armor dealers for SCA heavy
                            > weapons
                            >
                            > My husband Ilia Aleksandrovich wanted to post some links to this thread:
                            > http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/Here are a couple of pictures of some of
                            > the Rus work he has
                            > donehttp://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81617&highlight=yaroslav--VitashaOn Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov <
                            > ckchastain@... <ckchastain%40hotmail.com>> wrote:> Good day to the
                            > most esteemed group,> Im looking for dealers who might happen to sell SCA
                            > heavy weapons> legal Russian helmets and the sort. Was curious if anyone
                            > know of any> and possible websites so I can see the prices. I've been
                            > looking but> havent really found any since most of our society is still
                            > western> europe based, (lets keep the tide rolling!). Any help would be
                            > greatly> appreciated!>> Yours in most humble service,> Dmitrii Zarekoi
                            > Ivanov> Company of St Augustine>> >[Non-text portions of this message have
                            > been removed]

                          • Sir Donngal Buchanan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 23, 2008
                              Yes I can make some Russian helms. In mild and stainless. heres one I
                              have for sale at Windrose
                              http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=473

                              I have made a version of the Prince Yaroslav's helmet. Probably the
                              coolest helmet I have made yet.

                              I have other pics that I can send out privately or if your on myspace
                              you can see some there.

                              I also work at Windrose but I normally make the Rus stuff on my own
                              free time.

                              The Helm at Arm Street is pretty good. I would be careful when
                              ordering oversea's if there's a problem then that becomes a huge
                              problem. They don't make a lot of SCA stuff which can be also
                              problematic.
                            • Richard
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                                Thanks for posting the new images of the helm(s).

                                Just a question: what are the Polish helms based on? The only info I
                                have is/are Osprey books.

                                Pan Stary Ryszard
                              • Sir Donngal Buchanan
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                                  Pan Stary Ryszard,

                                  The Polish helms con from a large number of sources. I think I have at
                                  least 10 Polish arms and armour books not counting osprey editions.

                                  The Lobster pot helms are a stylized version. They are not
                                  traditional. Most sca people don't want the traditional stuff.
                                  Especially the combed helms for sca combat. I made a traditional
                                  styled one for Pan Zygmunt.

                                  I'll post it with some other traditional Polish items soon, If I have
                                  a picture still of it.
                                  The King Stephan Bathory helmet is based on his that is pictured in
                                  "Husaria Polska" The only thing I think I didn't do was all the acid
                                  etching.

                                  I can write up a list of the books I have on the subject if you like.
                                  Some are still available in print. By far "Husaria Polskla" By
                                  Zdizislaw Zygulski Jun. is the best. Not only does it feature great
                                  armour pictures but it also has very nice engravings and art of
                                  costumes as well.

                                  Donngal

                                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <tinbasher1960@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks for posting the new images of the helm(s).
                                  >
                                  > Just a question: what are the Polish helms based on? The only info I
                                  > have is/are Osprey books.
                                  >
                                  > Pan Stary Ryszard

                                • Richard
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 25, 2008
                                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Sir Donngal Buchanan" <buchanan27@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Pan Stary Ryszard,
                                    >

                                    > The Polish helms come from a large number of sources. I think I have
                                    at
                                    > least 10 Polish arms and armour books not counting osprey editions.

                                    Wow! I have a lot of readin' to do!

                                    Thanks for the info. I will have to send you an image of my 'new'
                                    helm.

                                    Pan Stary Ryszard