Re: [sig] help with event theme

  • Marilee Humason
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
      Saint Casimir
      Feast Day: March 4
      I realize it isn't april but it is close, he was a prince of Poland in 1458. He helped the poor.
      regards,

      From: panimagdalena56 <nunother56@comcast. net>
      Subject: [sig] help with event theme
      To: sig@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, September 15, 2008, 9:42 AM

      Greetings all. I'm autocrating an event in the East in April 2009.

      The activities will involve fibers and fabric, metalsmithing and some

      fighting. I would like a Polish or at least Slavic name for the event.

      Being that fiber arts are important, I was thinking of something

      around the spring sheep shearing.

      I'm not finding anything for this time of year except the customs

      around Easter and dyngus.

      Does anyone have any other thoughts to offer? Maybe a patron saint

      that falls in April?

      YIS

      Pani Magdalena

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
        Greetings
        What Shire do you plan to have your event in?? And Can you use some
        help??

        Scott

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "panimagdalena56" <nunother56@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all. I'm autocrating an event in the East in April 2009.
        > The activities will involve fibers and fabric, metalsmithing and some
        > fighting. I would like a Polish or at least Slavic name for the
        event.
        > Being that fiber arts are important, I was thinking of something
        > around the spring sheep shearing.
        >
        > I'm not finding anything for this time of year except the customs
        > around Easter and dyngus.
        >
        > Does anyone have any other thoughts to offer? Maybe a patron saint
        > that falls in April?
        >
        > YIS
        > Pani Magdalena

      • panimagdalena56
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
          Thank you all for the ideas!

          The event location is just east of Harrisburg, PA in Lebanon County.
          The site it very close to interstates 78 and 81 if that helps at all.

          As far as help with the event, our biggest hurdle right now is finding
          marshals to handle the fighting. The Shire of Blak Rose (hosting
          shire) is without a marshal for now.

          The event is in the planning stages right now, so I'm not sure what
          kind of help will be needed. If you make the trip to the event and let
          someone know you are willing to help, I'm sure we could find something
          for you to do. If not, you are there to enjoy yourself.

          YIS
          Magdalena
        • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
            Here is soemthign else i found. I was lookign trhough my culinary calendar and it labels April 18th as Feodul's day aka St. Feodul (�����)

            This is concidered like the first day or spring and the sayign the is associated with it is
            if it a warm day: ������� ����� - ������ ������ "Came Feodul - warmth is blowing"
            for nasty weather: ������ ���� ������ "Feodul is puffing his lips"

            It is also said that this is the day when trees beging to blossom, butterflies and cattrepillars appear and birds start building their nests.
            I think it's a good celebratory day.

            There are a few more but this one just seemed liek the happiest from what i read in decsriptions

            Lada

            Oooooh...
            SHINY!

            From: Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo. com>

            To: sig@yahoogroups. com

            Greetings all. I'm autocrating an event in the East in April 2009.

            The activities will involve fibers and fabric, metalsmithing and some

            fighting. I would like a Polish or at least Slavic name for the event.

            Being that fiber arts are important, I was thinking of something

            around the spring sheep shearing.

            I'm not finding anything for this time of year except the customs

            around Easter and dyngus.

            Does anyone have any other thoughts to offer? Maybe a patron saint

            that falls in April?

            YIS

            Pani Magdalena

          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
              Greetings!

              > Here is soemthign else i found. I was lookign trhough my culinary calendar and it labels April 18th as Feodul's day aka St. Feodul (Федул)
              >
              > This is concidered like the first day or spring and the sayign the is associated with it is
              > if it a warm day: "Пришел Федул - тепляк подул" "Came Feodul - warmth is blowing"
              > for nasty weather: "Федул губы надул" "Feodul is puffing his lips"
              Sorry but just remember this it's not a weather-related phrase. It's a part of a well-known traditional joke.

              "- Федул, что губы надул?
              - Кафтан прожёг!
              - А велика ли дыра?
              - Один ворот остался!"

              (why are you puffing your lips?
              I've burnt a hole in my kaftan!
              How big is the hole?
              All that survived is the collar)

              :-)
            • scott hornbeck
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 16, 2008
                I wish I couldelp you with a Marshel. I will keep my ear open.If there is any type of help you need for this event when it is ready let me know.Me and my wif would be happy to help.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 16, 2008
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Rashid/makeup.html

                  I have an interest in Persian and Turkish clothing, mostly because it influenced Moscovite clothing so heavily in style and cut. But what is clothing without the accessories and details? A great outfit could be ruined by a pair of sneakers, like wearing a ball cap with a tuxedo at a wedding (unless thats the theme!)

                  And so in period sources about 16th century Moscovy, one often hears about a man's obligation being to buy the women of his family make-up, whom are then raven browed, white faced with kholed eyes and red lips and cheeks....

                  And so I view the linked website with great interest, and a fair bit of illumination! Moscovites fought the Turks but traded with the Persians....

                  Any thoughts?

                  Best Regards,
                  'dok

                • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
                    Pani Magdalena-- do you have a copy of Sophie Knab's Polish Folklore book?

                    P.S. please contact me offlist about books!
                    -- Jadwiga

                    --
                    -- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
                    jenne@...
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
                      <<On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:38 AM, <sig@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      Pani Magdalena-- do you have a copy of Sophie Knab's Polish Folklore book?
                      P.S. please contact me offlist about books!
                      -- Jadwiga>>

                      Jadwiga, I have a copy of that if you need something.
                      --
                      Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                      "To rip the ugly, false, and weak from my soul and hurl it into hell. To