help with event theme

  • panimagdalena56
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
      Greetings all. I'm autocrating an event in the East in April 2009.
      The activities will involve fibers and fabric, metalsmithing and some
      fighting. I would like a Polish or at least Slavic name for the event.
      Being that fiber arts are important, I was thinking of something
      around the spring sheep shearing.

      I'm not finding anything for this time of year except the customs
      around Easter and dyngus.

      Does anyone have any other thoughts to offer? Maybe a patron saint
      that falls in April?

      YIS
      Pani Magdalena
    • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
        One thing you can do is call it
        Posidelki - which was usually an evening gathering of women, and they'd bring various sowing and spinning and other things they are working on. Sit together, chat and work on things. Thus Posidelki, "sidet'" to sit ( i know I'm not typing it out in phonetics.)

        Lada

        Oooooh...
        SHINY!

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
          Saint Casimir
          Feast Day: March 4
          I realize it isn't april but it is close, he was a prince of Poland in 1458. He helped the poor.
          regards,

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
            Greetings
            What Shire do you plan to have your event in?? And Can you use some
            help??

            Scott

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "panimagdalena56" <nunother56@...> wrote:

            > Greetings all. I'm autocrating an event in the East in April 2009.
            > The activities will involve fibers and fabric, metalsmithing and some
            > fighting. I would like a Polish or at least Slavic name for the
            event.
            > Being that fiber arts are important, I was thinking of something
            > around the spring sheep shearing.
            >
            > I'm not finding anything for this time of year except the customs
            > around Easter and dyngus.
            >
            > Does anyone have any other thoughts to offer? Maybe a patron saint
            > that falls in April?
            >
            > YIS
            > Pani Magdalena

          • panimagdalena56
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
              Thank you all for the ideas!

              The event location is just east of Harrisburg, PA in Lebanon County.
              The site it very close to interstates 78 and 81 if that helps at all.

              As far as help with the event, our biggest hurdle right now is finding
              marshals to handle the fighting. The Shire of Blak Rose (hosting
              shire) is without a marshal for now.

              The event is in the planning stages right now, so I'm not sure what
              kind of help will be needed. If you make the trip to the event and let
              someone know you are willing to help, I'm sure we could find something
              for you to do. If not, you are there to enjoy yourself.

              YIS
              Magdalena
            • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
                Here is soemthign else i found. I was lookign trhough my culinary calendar and it labels April 18th as Feodul's day aka St. Feodul (�����)

                This is concidered like the first day or spring and the sayign the is associated with it is
                if it a warm day: ������� ����� - ������ ������ "Came Feodul - warmth is blowing"
                for nasty weather: ������ ���� ������ "Feodul is puffing his lips"

                It is also said that this is the day when trees beging to blossom, butterflies and cattrepillars appear and birds start building their nests.
                I think it's a good celebratory day.

                There are a few more but this one just seemed liek the happiest from what i read in decsriptions

                Lada

                Oooooh...
                SHINY!

                From: Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo. com>

                To: sig@yahoogroups. com

                Greetings all. I'm autocrating an event in the East in April 2009.

                The activities will involve fibers and fabric, metalsmithing and some

                fighting. I would like a Polish or at least Slavic name for the event.

                Being that fiber arts are important, I was thinking of something

                around the spring sheep shearing.

                I'm not finding anything for this time of year except the customs

                around Easter and dyngus.

                Does anyone have any other thoughts to offer? Maybe a patron saint

                that falls in April?

                YIS

                Pani Magdalena

              • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
                  Greetings!

                  > Here is soemthign else i found. I was lookign trhough my culinary calendar and it labels April 18th as Feodul's day aka St. Feodul (Федул)
                  >
                  > This is concidered like the first day or spring and the sayign the is associated with it is
                  > if it a warm day: "Пришел Федул - тепляк подул" "Came Feodul - warmth is blowing"
                  > for nasty weather: "Федул губы надул" "Feodul is puffing his lips"
                  Sorry but just remember this it's not a weather-related phrase. It's a part of a well-known traditional joke.

                  "- Федул, что губы надул?
                  - Кафтан прожёг!
                  - А велика ли дыра?
                  - Один ворот остался!"

                  (why are you puffing your lips?
                  I've burnt a hole in my kaftan!
                  How big is the hole?
                  All that survived is the collar)

                  :-)
                • scott hornbeck
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 16, 2008
                    I wish I couldelp you with a Marshel. I will keep my ear open.If there is any type of help you need for this event when it is ready let me know.Me and my wif would be happy to help.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 16, 2008
                      http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Rashid/makeup.html

                      I have an interest in Persian and Turkish clothing, mostly because it influenced Moscovite clothing so heavily in style and cut. But what is clothing without the accessories and details? A great outfit could be ruined by a pair of sneakers, like wearing a ball cap with a tuxedo at a wedding (unless thats the theme!)

                      And so in period sources about 16th century Moscovy, one often hears about a man's obligation being to buy the women of his family make-up, whom are then raven browed, white faced with kholed eyes and red lips and cheeks....

                      And so I view the linked website with great interest, and a fair bit of illumination! Moscovites fought the Turks but traded with the Persians....

                      Any thoughts?

                      Best Regards,
                      'dok

                    • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
                        Pani Magdalena-- do you have a copy of Sophie Knab's Polish Folklore book?

                        P.S. please contact me offlist about books!
                        -- Jadwiga

                        --
                        -- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
                        jenne@...
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
                          <<On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:38 AM, <sig@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          Pani Magdalena-- do you have a copy of Sophie Knab's Polish Folklore book?
                          P.S. please contact me offlist about books!
                          -- Jadwiga>>

                          Jadwiga, I have a copy of that if you need something.
                          --
                          Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                          "To rip the ugly, false, and weak from my soul and hurl it into hell. To