RE: [sig] 16th Century Novgorod Female Persona

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2008
      Greetings from Sofya!

      >I have decided to go with an early to mid 16th century female
      >merchant woman, living in Novgorod.

      I focus on appanage period Rus, but I know a little about Kievan and Muscovite period, so maybe I can help.

      >I would like to find some patterns or images of what was worn in the
      >time period. Ideas on fabrics and patterns that would be used.

      Rabinovich has a huge chapter on 13th-17th century clothing that I've translated here in two parts:

      If that's a little overwhelming, I've extracted some fabric info here:
      While the notes focus on "Early Rus" the fabrics and furs discussed there were still used in the 16th century.

      I don't have a lot of images of late period women on-line. What I have is here:
      I can send a few more as attachments privately.

      >I started making a Sarafan but I'm not liking the way it is going.
      >I still might be able to turn it into a Letnik if I can find some
      >pattern help. Both of these may be too early.

      Both the sarafan and the letnik are perfectly appropriate for a 16th century Novgorod woman. Some of the images I plan to send you have patterns for the sarafan and dushegreya. The letnik is a glorified T-tunic.

      >I've made a pattern for a kokoshnik ... mostly pearls but with a scattering of stones such as jade,
      >ruby, and amethyst.

      A scattering of precious stones among the pearls are appropriate.

      >I also need a good pattern for a povojnik. I've tried a couple of
      >times and nothing I have made looks or feels right when I put it on.

      I have three different povoinik patterns here:

      At your service,

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus, OW, OLM, uchenitsa Kramolnikova